Pre-season training report - Monday 5 Dec 2022

Surely Martin is going to cop a fine from his teammates - you can’t lead the whole team be 40 metres in a 2K and then not place!

Love your work mate!

Any surprises in the 2km run that caught your eye?

Yep thats fair, it sounds like good old fashioned extra running training where Hird went out and worked to be fitter over the preseason.

I’m just hoping he keeps it in check now, doesnt need to get fitter, just needs to hold this form through the season.

I would have liked to see my midfielders up there …Martin…Hobbs …Perkins…Parish…Merrett

Well Martin was and I feel like Martin is going to have a break out year, Draper v Martin for the crichton.

Time to build elaborate projections for 2023 and beyond based on body language readings from a short training video.

3 Likes

I think we’ve heard enough to assume he’s going to be the greatest of all time, yes?

34 Likes

You mean he isnt already…?

He is a slow burn.

I couldn’t work out if Munkara totally fumbled the ball on a bounce in that boundary video, or deliberately put it out in front of himself to run onto it.

His credibility and career as a player will depend on which it was.

10 Likes

@ivan ’s plan to get him onto a wing or HFF is coming to fruition

What do you reckon…… come on Dave

2 Likes

Ah ■■■■, then.

1 Like

Given how much he’s bulked up, this isn’t entirely surprising. After a full pre-season, hopefully he strikes a good balance between fitness and size.

EDIT: Isn’t he also recovering from some setback? He was only running in the first session, with Caldwell.

Heppell, on the other hand, appears to have leaned out quite a bit in the off-season. If he doesn’t have to shoulder captain’s duties, and can just concentrate on his own game, he’ll be interesting to watch next year. Despite any complaints about his game, of which I’ve had several in the past few years, he reads the state of play very well. It’s surprising how often a turnover to the opposition near our forward 50 finds Heppell standing all alone in defence, right under the kick into our defensive 50 after having run half the length of the field to be there. And he accumulates possessions in no small part because he positions well to receive the ball when we’re moving it forward.

19 Likes

It’s something I pointed out in the Blitz “oh no we picked Tsatas” rush on draft day. This is a kid who draft watchers were saying needed to work on his endurance, but he was still getting 30-40 touches a game. The kid can certainly find the football.

19 Likes

Plus he has just shown up to training and started yelling at blokes.

We did say we wanted someone with a bit of attitude.

28 Likes

Force Yoda GIF - Force Yoda Star Wars GIFs

1 Like

Just read that Eyre is trying his luck with the Saints for the rest of pre-season.

3 Likes

Lewis Hayes asked me to pass this on to you guys at BomberBlitz :smiley:

51 Likes

Nice of Nick to word him up on that.

6 Likes

The fact that Tsatas did so bad on the time trial is interesting considering how much uncontested footy he wins. Maybe it’s a case of he won that much footy due to his footy IQ of knowing the right spots to run to, if that’s the case it’ll be very exciting when he gets an AFL standard tank

17 Likes

The next shot was a one fingered salute that he told you to pass on to Nino for his ‘anti talls’ draft stance!

5 Likes