Rance is ours “Disco playing the long game”

Nino fkg please.

1 Like

Wouldn’t I meant haha

If coaching is something he’s interested then maybe he can become an assistant after he finishes he can coach the backline and Gia the forwards

1 Like

12 Likes

Rance is a tool, but I’d be very happy for him to come and play with our young defenders, and if we could get him to stay at the club in some capacity that can help our developing defenders I’d be fine with that too.

1 Like

If we have VFL players stuck in Victoria then he might just be helping out this week,
but good for our developing backs, like Zerk-Thatcher and Francis.

Cats would surely look at Rance if he wanted to come back next year, would be younger than a few there.

Man this guy was a fantastic defender, one of the very best to do it.

1 Like

Rance has been out of footy for too long, he is probably Rancid now

2 Likes

Rance Dressing?

4 Likes

Reminds me of a long, long time ago when a bus would wait in Geelong for anybody wanting to play that day with Geelong West in the then, VFA.
And look what happened to them.

1 Like

edit : Not Rance but pretty close with a quick “Sexy Mormon” google

My error, he’s a witness of JehoHoHovah

Is that deep fake

No, just stock sexy mormon image. It’s not a rabbit hole I particularly want to down but there seemed to be quite a lot of it out there

1 Like

Bit harsh bagging him for his religion

4 Likes

Jackets the man with aces up his sleeve. I hope Rance’s other religion, becomes playing for the Bombers in the VFL.

Bit harsh suggesting that’s what I’m doing. But some might, hence my answer to Saucy’s question. Also, funny haha

What? Need to guard your wallets?

Don’t let that a***hole anywhere near an Essendon jumper!:rage::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 Like

it funny that you even jokingly think hurley will play vfl next year. we will be discussing at what point we should drop him from the forwardline to plan for the future cos he will be the hooker replacement :joy:

Alex Rance comeback: Richmond premiership defender considers coming out of retirement through VFL | Herald Sun

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick said the Tigers were unaware of Alex Rance’s intentions but was adamant he had the physical capabilities to return to AFL after a lengthy break.

The retired premiership hero is considering making a shock comeback to football in Essendon’s VFL team this weekend.

The Bombers have been in talks with Rance, 31, about pulling the boots back on as a top-up player in their depleted reserves side to help their developing young players.

ADVERTISEMENT

CONTENT RESUMES ON SCROLL

While Rance is yet to confirm his availability, the Bombers are hopeful he will run out in red and black against Southport on Sunday on the Gold Coast.

Hardwick said it was brilliant for the game to have Rance back at any level.

“I haven’t spoken to him for some time, I’m not sure. He’s one of the more athletically gifted players I have ever seen play the game,” Hardwick said on Friday.

“If there was ever a person going to come back after a three-year layoff, it might be Alex.

“What his mindset is, it is challenging, has he had some time to freshen up?

“I’ll back Alex in whatever way he goes to be honest.”

Hardwick said there was no lingering disappointment over his decision to retire.

“He’s such an incredible player, I think we’d all agree he did retire early, but we understand his reasons,” Hardwick said.

“If he came back to the game it would be a good thing, the game would be better for it.

“The challenge is set, we’ll see how he goes on the weekend and how it transpires from there.”

Watch The 2021 Toyota AFL Premiership Season Live & On-Demand on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try 14-Days Free Now >

Former Richmond star Alex Rance could be a surprise inclusion for Essendon in the VFL this weekend. Picture: AFL Photos via Getty Images

Former Richmond star Alex Rance could be a surprise inclusion for Essendon in the VFL this weekend. Picture: AFL Photos via Getty Images

In another twist, Sydney Swans reserves’ utility Paddy McCartin is also set to line-up for Essendon in the same game as the Swans have a bye.

McCartin, who was delisted by St Kilda after a series of serious concussion problems, wants to re-ignite his career at AFL level.

He could be on the radar of the Bombers for next season as they look to improve their big man stocks at both ends.

Rance’s relationship with coach Ben Rutten is a key factor for the premiership defender, who, at this stage, does not have any plans to enter the draft or rejoin AFL ranks next season.

Rather, Rance is currently holidaying in Queensland and has indicated a desire to suit up for the VFL team if it helps Rutten and some of their developing young players on a fill-in basis.

Essendon is aware Rance has no intention to make a comeback to AFL level through the draft or otherwise for 2022.

Regardless, it will be a major boost to the Bombers’ VFL team and a considerable thrill for the emerging young players who could line-up alongside him on Sunday.

Hardwick said tongue in cheek Rance had picked the wrong club.

“Wrong sash Alex. What’s he doing?” Hardwick said.

“He hasn’t played for an extended period, but he’s one of the greatest players I have ever seen play the game.

“Hopefully he goes OK. I just wish it was in our colours.”

Injuries to key players including veteran backman Michael Hurley have dealt a significant blow to Essendon’s depth, but the senior team has defied all odds this season slipping into the eight after an immensely successful draft and trade period.

The sight of Rance stepping out in the VFL will still fuel speculation about whether superstar defender could compete at the top level if he wanted to, after retiring suddenly in 2019.

McCartin, a No.1 draft pick, has been swung into defence for the Swans since returning from suspension for striking Geelong VFL forward Aaron Black.

Dustin Martin and Rance celebrate with fans after winning the 2017 Grand Final.

Dustin Martin and Rance celebrate with fans after winning the 2017 Grand Final.

The out-of-the-blue call to step out for Essendon this weekend is one of the biggest shocks of the season which hangs by a thread due to the ongoing COVID-19 crisis and border closures.

Essendon has moved to Queensland and is based in Noosa in preparation for this weekend’s game against GWS Giants and next weekend against Sydney Swans.

Rance was one of the best players in the game when he tore his anterior cruciate ligament in the opening round of the 2019 season.

The five time All-Australian and dual best-and-fairest winner tried to make a comeback in time to bolster Richmond’s premiership tilt that season but fell short in his recovery and retired on 200 games.

There was speculation Rance would consider a return to AFL level after a short break but the former Tiger has been adamant he is happy in retirement.

He played for Seymour Lions in a game against Mansfield in the Goulburn Valley League in May and said he enjoyed playing alongside a close friend.

“I never thought I would really play anywhere but Ben Clifton (Seymour captain) is a good mate of mine and we thought we would have a kick together,” Rance said.

“It was more fun than anything else.”

If he does go through with the game on Sunday, all eyes will be on the gun centre half back in the match-up against Southport at Fankhauser Reserve.

Rance has a strong relationship with Ben Rutten, which explains the Essendon connection.

Rance has a strong relationship with Ben Rutten, which explains the Essendon connection.

It is certain to attract intrigue across the league and particularly at Richmond which gave Rance its full blessing to step away from the game in surprising circumstances when he was at the peak of his powers.

The Bombers have maintained close contact with Rance through Rutten, who coached the brilliant defender to the 2017 premiership before Rutten was poached by Essendon.

Rance has lauded the impact Rutten had on his career, helping the athletic rebounding backman transform into a cornerstone of the Tigers’ premiership defence.

Rutten has thrived in charge of the Bombers this season with top draftees Nik Cox, Archie Perkins and Zach Reid laying the foundation for a bright future which has helped secure the signatures of out-of-contract stars Zach Merrett, Darcy Parish and Jake Stringer.

Hurley went down on the eve of the season with a serious blood infection which has ruled the gun backman out for the entire season.

There are high hopes he will make a full recovery from the serious health issue in time for next season.