Rate the season

Just thank your lucky stars that the club doesn’t decide to change our name from Bombers to Gliders…

Some were claiming playing a final would be a good experience for the younger players. Not at Essendon.

s for shithouse

2 Likes

3/10.

Results probably a bare 5, but taking into account the quality of the results I can’t give it a pass.

There can be nothing but an F for this season.

This club has stunk from the first second of 2019 where every player bar Tippa looked completely unprepared, downright sad or exhausted to having to be playing afl footy.

From the opening qtr of the very first pre-season game vs carlton the off the paceness / lack of skills / enjoyment / hunger for the game / and intent were really obvious.

People said “oh but it’s only the pre-season”

But die hard EFC fans in the stands at Princes park were all thinking “you haven’t played in months, wouldn’t you be excited and competetive” and left actually jealous of how the carlton players seemed to relish the contest

Then absolutely obliterated by GWS openning round, found wanting for intent, inability to tackle or execute basic skills.

Then, bottom dwellers Saints show us up for effort again.

We play the dogs and tigers again, and once again we pick players who do not stay with their men on the rebound, and both obliterate us again.

Finals, we did not even wait till 5 minutes into the 2nd to capitulate, we simply kicked ourselves out of the game in the first 20 minutes.

I have no idea how we recruit year after year players with no competitive spirit or love for the game, and have to find blokes from the tiwi islands and snag players like Smith, Saad and Stringer to import actual competitiveness and a desire to do the basic things.

We then laud these players, we give out B&F’s to BJ, almost one to Kelly and then one to Devon Smith.

The club’s media puts out propaganda weekly about how great and tough we are, but all the toughness in our team seems to come from players we have to import. Saad and Smith came from plastic AFL clubs with NO history, and they show more pride for the jumper and playing good hard footy than our club bred heroes.

It’s a ■■■■ show from coaching panel to leadership group. Hepp has the character to be captain, but not the on field intelligence or skill level. If he was break even it’d be okay, but he’s had some drop worthy performances this year. Zerrett is now a hair pulling tantrum throwing player who’s obviously been drinking his own bath water for too many years.

They cut to the coaches box, they have about 20 blokes in there, yet all the posters on this forum point out yearly, weekly and daily the issues we need to cover, but no, Cripps, Ryan and Rioli remain unmanned in their forward 50 again, again and again.

We are the worst lead club in the AFL, it is only due to a single few players who have band aided over just how badly run this team is.

21 goals kicked in a row.

45 point turn around in a VFL final qtr or a final.

40 point lead given up in first qtr of an afl final.

Embarassment is an understatement.

12 Likes

Lol, season is measured in Simpson’s gifs.

1 Like

D

We didn’t completely fall over, and are happily wallowing in our mediocrity.

I would’ve given it a C if we had played a very competitive final. Would’ve gone higher again if they had won.

Fark off with the mediocrity. Finals win was the bare minimum. Instead we are served up with a team that was completely ■■■■■■■ unprepared for the season. A team whose mental and physical resolve is questionable at best. They failed on ANZAC day and Dreamtime. And served up a ■■■■ sandwich last night that was a ■■■■■■■ embarrassment.

Anything other than a fail is a crock of ■■■■ and systematic of the mediocrity that has infested this club for the last 15 years.

7 Likes

I could have handled a loss if at least we had a crack. We didn’t, not even close, west coast put in a half a quarter in the second to blow us away and cruised the rest of the game.

Had a handful of kids put in the required effort and the rest dismal.

1 Like

F-.

F. all i wanted was a finals win. maybe things would have been different if we could get more of our stars on the park, but we still failed.

I’m torn. As one who accepts mediocrity I’d like to rate it 10 because it couldn’t be any more mediocre. But 5 out of 10 is probably more appropriate considering the comfort level of being middle of the road.

4 out of 10.
I will forgive or forget the Giants game in round 1 and then to goalless in the first quarter against Saints was rubbish.
What about the games against the Suns, Power in Melbourne, Doggies and last night?

You do realize that, sometimes, players will say things to the media which aren’t true but avoids any serious grilling.

For example:

• “Nahh, it’s pulled up ok. Fingers crossed I’ll be back out there next week!” and they miss two months of footy.
  • “I know we won by 15 goals, but they are still a very competitive unit” despite just having two hours of circle work

That is exactly what Fantasia did. Said what would avoid pressing follow up questions. I don’t think he believes it at all.

Woosha should have been sacked for the first two rounds. What the actual ■■■■ did they do over preseason. We have been catching up since.

And while I’m at it who the ■■■■ is responsible for continuing to play clearly injured players? That person or persons should climb in the cannon and fire themselves into the sun.

A ■■■■■■■ amateur football club beholden to AFL House and completely incapable of making the necessary decisions.

In a season that was presented (after a false start) as being about “learnings”, we seem to have learned nothing of any value.

We’ve gone backwards.

Our game only works when teams let us do what we want to do. I know it’s an old trope, but we genuinely have no “Plan B”, save for “Put Hooker Forward” ™

We don’t apply pressure to the opposition.

This season has been a dismal failure.

1 Like

If we catch up for drink and you mention learnings I’m going to kick you square in the nuts.

3 Likes

We certainly didn’t take any learnings from the first game we played the eagles in the west this year

and need to change the thread title to “Rate the learnings”

1 Like

Wins important but how we played in our bad losses is far more important… it gives you a sense of how much time and development is still required to really contend.

We were blown away twice by a team that finished 5th. Blown away by the Dogs who finished 7th. The injuries to our 30+ yr olds suggest that they’re on the decline and theres stuff all backup guaranteed to replace their output quickly. Draper, Zerk et al. still speculative and need years of development… at best.

Not interested in rating this season as much as I am in rating my optimism for next season… I rate that an ‘F’ for ‘fark this for a joke - I’m watching rugby next season’

1 Like