Rating our midfield

Come back Jobe… come… back…

1 Like

I think we will do better than 2019, have said it since straight after the Elimination final too. I think we’ll break the duck in 2020 and win a final.

1 Like

If Parish was allowed free reign in the midfield without The lack of opportunities… I think we’d have a very different player.

He’s an inside midfielder, but we’ve been forced to play him outside &/or on the flank.

He’s just not an outside player… his vision is always centred on winning the football. When he is given ab opportunity, he thrives.

6 Likes

You exclude Martin and Kelly probably the two best midfielders in the comp.

Plus Gaff, Whitfield and Macrea are better than most of ours.

3 Likes

As a core list there is a lot to like about it in terms of upside. Merrett, hepp and Smith can all hope for better years. Hopefully their output will help Shiel. Langford parish and McGrath all have plenty of development left in them

2 Likes

the biggest improvement from our midfield will come from parish, McGrath and Langford.

they will decide how good our midfield will be rated in coming years.

6 Likes

We’re better than Port and Hawthorn.

But absolutely miles away from the rest.

It’s so hard to say at the start of the year. I’d put us somewhere around 10th in overall midfield quality, but anywhere from maybe 6th-12th depending on how things go.

There are plenty of teams who’ve got just as many kids they would be expecting to take the next step up as we do. We want Parish and McGrath to get better, why shouldn’t freo be expecting the same of Cerra and Brayshaw. Port brought in three first round mids in 2018, why wouldn’t they be hoping for a couple of them to move into the midfield this year? If Langford has the ability to suddenly take his game to the next level, what’s crazy about melbourne supporters hoping the same from Petracca from the same draft year?

And yes, I know the answer is “because their players are all trucks and crabs, you can tell after two years, but our 5th and 6th year players just need time mature” because of course.

2 Likes

Surely our midfield would be ranked last in the comp? Remember, the players don’t care if they win or lose cos Woosha said so to the media.

:roll_eyes: FAKE NEWZ.

#BlitzMyth

We’re well behind Richmond, Pies, WCE, GWS. Probably behind Dogs midfield, too.

Same bunch as Cats, Brisbane, Sydney.

Don’t really rate Port’s midfield.

1 Like

still no hard nosed big bodied inside mids. Our midfeld is overrated. Ifi t was that good we would be better and winning finals. Freo ■■■■■■■ dominated us in the last quarter.

This should be a poll thread

1 Like

It’s not terrible, but it’s not the sort of group that’s going to win you a heck of a lot of matches, either.
Shiels as a centre square fixture?

Line them up head for head against our midfield and I genuinely think we’re comfortably stronger (and a lot deeper) in the guts.
A bit weaker on the wings.

1 Like

I still think the doggies have the potential to be the best midfield.

3 top line talents, a heap of good support and even a couple of kids who could be guns too.

With the right coaching and a better ruck department, they could outright scary.

3 Likes

What we have to do is come out spitting fire and really get the score on the board. No more slow starts.
Hard and fast, thanks boys.

McGrath and Parish can change where we sit in the midfield stakes if they have breakout seasons. You can argue that both may have had that in 2019, but if they did, then they need to take it even further, both in terms of consistency and impact, both where they get the footy, how they get the footy and what they do with it. Add Smith in as a virtual new recruit, Shiel will be far better second year in with us. The depth looks better, especially if the likes of Langford and Cutler can play important roles in there. Heppell (if fit) and Zach Merrett will give you similar output as they have done the past 4-5 years. It’s a competent midfield group, not star studded but good enough.

1 Like

What makes our midfield even worse is our forward line is sooo bad. If you combine our midfield and forward line stats over the last few years it would probably rate in the bottom 4 of the comp.

Agree, they’ll win the flag this year too.

their talls are a huge worry, imo. if English goes down, YIKES

i rate them, but then they got smacked by 9 goals round 1

1 Like