Rd 17: Team v St Kilda - Woosha gives us the Bird

Good choice. I shall be looking forward to monitoring your performance tomorrow Mr Bird.

Out: Jobe (broken heart, thanks Seb)

1 Like

At the very least he could make him earn a few more of those 22 uncontested. Tag Ross, set Steven and Zerret head to head. Wish it was on tonight

1 Like

Don’t even think we used R Crowley or that St Kilda guy with the square head as hard tags, didn’t tag dangerfield or J Kennedy. Very much doubt we’re going to start now.

1 Like

That’s right, Seb is Jobe’s cousin, nephew of Tim.

Maybe Woosha was worried Jobe wouldn’t go hard enough on him (certainly not as a negative tag).

Nice to see the side named sensibly

1 Like

About bluddy time. Better late than never, I suppose. Go out and kill that kent, Craig.

1 Like

I think we can now confirm that Watson has been keeping Bird out of the side.

5 Likes

It certainly would be a surprise but I think it would be great to see them try it. Could be a little tweak that just transforms the midfield

McGrath v Gresham should be great to watch

1 Like

11 Likes

Its always been the case I say. Happy to see Bird get a run. He’s earned it.

1 Like

THAT FEEL WHEN WE TOOK KAVANAGH BUT COULD OF TAKEN SEB ROSS

1 Like

2 Likes

So Jobe is out with general soreness. I blame the fitness staff for allowing him to be on his feet all day making coffees.

They could have bought in a school girl! Sorry, couldn’t resist.

So they debut a kid who goes into battle.
And we bring in a slow plodder who has had his papers stamped.

Geez i hope bird and myers contribute and we win.

Looks like Woosha is pretty certain of his best 22 (Ambo and Laverde notwithstanding) and wants them to gel together. He’s been saying the biggest issue is chemistry so he’d be a hypocrite if he made heaps of changes. I note the most training they do together is while playing so it would be hard to break in.
This is a really important game for us as a club and he isn’t taking any risks, Bird for Watson is pretty like for like.
There’s still plenty of development happening too, the forwards are working well together, the talls are learning each other’s styles and the smalls are rotating through the midfield. Back line is pretty solid when the midfield holds up and so it’s no surprise he’s tried to keep the same personnel in the middle.
Personally I think Colyer hasn’t offered a lot, and there’s a few others whose output have been down (Tippa, McKenna, Green) so they might be a bit lucky but again, they are still finding their feet.
@darkknightpheonix I don’t think we are out of finals contention yet, if Saints and Sydney can win a few on the trot then so can we, our injury list is awesome and our run home is pretty good. I know we are inconsistent but we haven’t lost more than 2 in a row either which from memory is an improvement for our club at this stage of the year.
Last week was the first step in a potential comeback, this week is the 2nd step. If we can win then our future is still in our hands.
If we lose then we should definitely started blooding random kids, I will be cool with that.

4 Likes

I don’t mind bird getting a go. I do question how and why the coaches are getting to some of the decisions they are at present.

If selection is based on form, then Bird should have been selected ages ago, ahead of myers, stanton and howlett, but he wasn’t then, so what is the point of it now ?
what does it accomplish now ?
They haven’t tagged anyone all year, so again why would they start now ? for one game.

Watson is a forced out, so there was going to be one spot. I don’t get why it wasn’t used to bring in a youngster, try him in whatever position and see if it works. I haven’t seen begley play, but as an example why not pick him, put him up forward, push raz and tippa into more midfield minutes, and see what the kid has.
If he was off the place, he gets a taste of afl footy, learns what he has to do, and goes away and works on it for next time or year.

Instead if it fails what have we learnt now ? that Bird is pretty much finished ??? blind ■■■■■■■ freddy can see that.

Just another wasted oppotunity to develop IMO, and just doesn’t make sense.

Mathemtically yes we are still a chance. But we haven’t won more than 2 games in a row. We lost to the worst side in the comp. this team has proven they can’t produce their best week in week out.

we all hope it’ll magically just click and have a dream run into finals, alas more than likely they will simply continue to follow the same path, look good in patches, suck majorly in patches.

1 Like

I agree with all you said. But, if they are prepared to change philosophy mid year and try a tag I’m all for that. I’m mean it’s not as if we haven’t been criticised for it this year and there has been a bit of swing back to tagging generally over the course of the year throughout the comp.

The big question will be what will they do if they do tag and it’s a raging success

1 Like