Re: Indigenous Support at EFC

THERE’S ONLY ONE MAN FOR THIS JOB.

kevin sheedy?

Don’t want non indigenous to decide or identify between themselves what they see as the problem and how to fix it.
Listen , work together for an institutional Voice. The Federal level debate on the Voice is relevant ( as is the move away from a cashless debit card to infrastructure for empowerment)

1 Like

This is white people letting down our indigenous brothers and sisters.
And it is them that needs to come to the party.
But it needs to be a collaborative effort to get it right.

:radio_button: Ask for input on where there is shortcomings or lack of understanding.
:radio_button: Work together on how we can adress these problems
:radio_button: Then get people inplace that all are happy to work with, and are confident can keep progress coming moving forward

3 Likes

Stop saying ‘white fellas’. You’re appropriating their vernacular.

1 Like

You need to have Club Execs actively seeking feedback and being informed…. Then taking action.

The work shouldn’t be driven by First Nations people…… and they shouldn’t need to be fighting to have their say. Which is often what happens.

Agree with all this.

My point is that too often the work is left with Aboriginal people in the organisation to fix the problems of white fellas. Which is why hiring Dean Rioli is not the end of the problem…. Or that one person can fix an organisation.

Organisations should be seeking expertise and feedback from First Nations people. The heavy lifting should be done by non-first nations people.

3 Likes

Not ask for input.
They need to give input when they see fit. Say Longy asks, What do we need to do here? Everything transparent and valued from everyone . There’s culture. Anyone who doesn’t buy in shown the door.

Apart from that Spot On!

Do you have something to back that up ? I think Matty Knights back then treated everyone with the same contempt.

2 Likes

I feel once the conversations are started and people have been heard and understood, these issues will be knocked on the head more naturally, input will be coming more willingly and free flowing.

Trust and understanding needs to be established 1st then people are willing to speak up and put themselves out there.

These things take time and strong people to drive. We are lucky to have just those types who are Bombers people

1 Like

your point seems very racist in and of itself by default. i know it’s not meant as that, but you’re ultimately saying or implying only white people can fix the problem, of which most white people don’t even know what the problem is.

Hell i’m pretty sure when people wanted nat rat in a similar role as eddie betts way back when, claimed he wouldn’t be able to help as much as people think as he wouldn’t have the same background knowledge of what other aboriginal people would be dealing with coming from other parts of the country.

other than the obvious things like you know not walking around calling aboriginal players chimps (as the collingwood example) what else would white people know of the struggles of aboriginal people trying to make their way in the comp ?

and how does it fair in relation to the rest of the club/league ?

at the end of the day there has to be a certain level of expectation met on all fronts, fitness, training etc so you have to be in and around the club to fulfil a certain level of high expectations on the individual, but how do you achieve that fairly across the whole playing list ?

case in point both mozzie and francis have had struggles across their time at the club, both were given leave to go home.

if there were extra steps mozzie needed, how do you expect the white people at the club to know or fix it ?

and if they don’t feel the extra effort is worth it, then it shouldn’t be considered racist by default. by all means question their intelligence on not wanting to put in the time energy and resources into it, as we should be doing in relation to their ability to develop all players on the list.

but again as another example I wouldn’t want the club to make extra concessions to irish players just to try to keep them around longer.

Well you’ve completely missed all of my points.

So I’m not sure it’s worth even replying to this.

6 Likes

I am an old white bloke that would be useless in this matter. Old black blokes are also not the best people as they also have lots of baggage.

My experience in recent times with young and emerging indigenous leaders, is that they are the people you need to force through lasting change and to help in matters like this. They take crap from no-one.

2 Likes

LIDIA THORPE will sort us out. Will rip off the ■■■■■ of every white bloke in the joint and burn down the hangar.

2 Likes

I think this is a good point.

A lot of Essendon fans often fall back on some of the names that have been at the club that have done great work in this space and think that they’re the answer for the future too when it may be time for the next generation to lead the change.

I say this in regards to Long’s comments a few months back following Cyril and Shannyn Rioli detailing their experiences with Jeff Kennett. Long responded by saying that Kennett isn’t racist and Cyril needs professional help.
I don’t bring this up to disparage Michael Long or the invaluable work that he’s done, nor to minimise his continued experience of racism and racist structures. But I do wonder if the work that Michael Long has done in changing attitudes within the game means that the way he experienced racism is different to how current players experience it - Or at least where the change is now needed is elsewhere to where Long had to fight it.

Not that current players can’t and won’t lean on the experience and advice of those before them, just that as you say BF, it’s time for the younger ones to be leading that charge.

3 Likes

What’s Michael O’Loughlin doing these days? He has a strong heritage.

1 Like

so its old people that are the problem, if we can’t trust them to drive, we can’t trust them to run a company

1 Like

What about Warren Mundine??

1 Like

Yep, I am a dreadful driver and need to stop working. Then I can spend all my day on BBlitz giving you advice.

Nope, he would be in Clarkson is always right camp.