Re: Indigenous Support at EFC

Surely that “expertise, knowledge and skills” are the most important ingredient to start the process of fixing the problem.

i’ll be sure to not follow it, thanks

Story of my life.

First of all I think someone from The Long Walk board should sit on the club board as well.

Secondly we need an indigenous person on the recruiting team.

Thirdly we need an indigenous person on the coaching team.

Fourthly, we need Nathan Lovett Murray back at the club.

14 Likes

Isn’t the Long Walk a registered charity owned by EFC, and there is a Manager who runs its operation reporting to EFC CEO ?

1 Like

Still paying sexual assault victims off probably.
Don’t want that grub anywhere near the club

2 Likes

Sometimes the problem for indigenous people is they that live in insular societies that perpetuate dysfunctional behaviour across generations.

In this case they got drafted into one.

(If the allegations are correct.)

1 Like

NatRat needs be bought back into the fold. He is a smart bloke who will stand up for himself and others. If he is able to work in tandem with someone like Courtney Ugle, EFC will be able take great leaps forward.

6 Likes

Members of my family who have taught in remote indigenous and towns across the NT tell me it’s highly variable, no common pattern.

I can see a formal boycott of the Dawks by all indigenous players happening. I wouldn’t blame them if they did.

2 Likes

Definitely not Andrew Lovett

Obviously, said boycott also extending to the teams coached by the alleged culprits.

I am hoping that won’t be an issue as l seriously doubt they will ever coach again.

1 Like

You have more faith in the AFL, and society, than I.

The fact that both north and Brisbane have come out and said we back our coaches is deplorable.

2 Likes

That is for now, but both coaches are in limbo right now, with their futures uncertain. The longer this goes on, the more pressure on the clubs to act. They can’t have either coach back until after the investigation has run its course. That is touted to be 2 months or even more, which means the clubs will need to act to fill the coaching chair while the investigation is on.

Tough for players, trying to keep their careers intact, to make waves. The backlash against Goodes was fierce.
What Eddie Betts has said , he waited until he retired to tell his story. Not easy for a relatively shy person, but he was burning to get it out there.

1 Like

Who is our current Indigenous Liaison Officer at EFC?

We hear rarely from them. But we need to fund them fulltime if not already and a seat on the Board. In attendence at some but not all meetings I’d have thought but those monthly types when meeting are dominated by reports, updates, how the NGA is going from the players side etc ( not just from Josh Mahoney eyes). Sheedy should be directly involved too adding value urging investment etc.

Big refocus on code of conduct endhroned into the EFC charter if no already, more education on the ways of indigenous people throughout all our coaches and players. Arranged visit(s) of whole playing group up north during year. Coaches willing to introduce more funskills sessions with minimal contact to harness & teach the inate aboriginal awareness and eye/hand craft and tricks so many of them have. Try get talks from Betts, Goode, Rioli etc etc. on their experiences

And get Tippa involved part time too. And how did we lose sight of NLM now at Saints and Vicsport?

2 Likes

he was crying into his handkerchief at the grand final.

2 Likes

if we reached out to Goodes…that would be a massive positive. For us and him if he wanted to get back in the AFL tent. Goodes on the Board.
My lure would be to help him, enhance his profile so he can go on to something bigger and better than the efc, like politics if thats what he is inclined to do. or even the AFL commission.
Would be a long shot as AFL burnt a lot of bridges with him. And he probably hates Essendon. His pedigree of being in the bloods system, multiple premierships, brownlow, strong culture and the adversity he has had to endure would make him a great person to help out with the review or just the direction of the club in general.

3 Likes

He went beyond AFL when he was Australian of the Year and had some sort of domestic Ambassador positions.

1 Like