Recommend me a GPS

A reply to: @benfti regarding QuoteLink

Apple maps is still rubbish. I now have an iPhone and Google maps ■■■■■ all over it.

They’re both good. Google’s just way better at finding businesses.

I paid $99 for the TomTom app when I got my 3GS in 2009(?) and it’s been getting free map updates ever since. I got given a free TomTom and a single map update was going to cost around the same.

A reply to: @Riolio regarding QuoteLink

A reply to: @benfti regarding QuoteLink
Apple maps is still rubbish. I now have an iPhone and Google maps ■■■■■ all over it.

They’re both good. Google’s just way better at finding businesses.

I paid $99 for the TomTom app when I got my 3GS in 2009(?) and it’s been getting free map updates ever since. I got given a free TomTom and a single map update was going to cost around the same.

That’s probably it actually I only ever really crack it out when I’m working and looking for a business

Thanks fellas.

I’m kind of drawn to getting a standalone gps that lives in the car, for around $200. Just doesn’t really make sense when the phone is probably as good if not better.

Bought a Garmin. $220 down to $150. One reason I can’t have the phone as GPS is that sometimes you have to let the kids have it as a distraction / bribe / reward.

Just realised I have an old iPhone 4 that I could probably just upgrade and find a dash mount for.

Google maps on pretty much any android phone works a treat. As was said just get a good quality, (usually original to that brand) windscreen holder. The GPS / maps really chews out the battery too so make sure you have a charger cable long enough to keep it on charge while you are using it

I have a portable Tom Tom that can double as hands free phone, but they are over $250 on eBay.

Best option is Tom Tom app that turns your phone or iPad into GPS. I have used it all over the world, just buying the location maps as needed. It is also in special at present, much better than any other I have used

Waste of money those Tomtom phone maps good maps worst just as well for everywhere I’ve been

Quoted Post

A reply to: @tinhillterror regarding QuoteLink
Thanks fellas.

I’m kind of drawn to getting a standalone gps that lives in the car, for around $200. Just doesn’t really make sense when the phone is probably as good if not better.

Seriously, a stand alone is heaps better to me, but the phone is the trendy thing to do.
Personally I like my phone as a phone, not sitting in some cradle on the dash doing something else.
I like that my satnav doesn’t have to be interupted to do other things.
But then hey, I still like to wear a watch because I think its a superior option to having to drag out my phone.
An uncool luddite I am it would seem.

I have a Galaxy s4 and a Tomtom … each does its job beautifully

I still like to wear a watch. Luddites unite!