Reminders you're getting old

Winner! Hahahaha. Omg. Dying!

throwing out the comb and getting a big face washer

2 Likes

Or even later than that. Like that Counting Crows version of “Big Yellow Taxi” that I hated and still do.

1 Like

And with good reason.

1 Like

I heard the connection sound to a dial up modem whilst watching an older series the other week and I could still mimic that sound with my voice. Perfectly.

Speaking of sounds, the “uh oh” message sound from the ICQ chat program is permanently been embedded into my brain. From time to time I’m sure I hear that sound, or maybe I’m having a flashback.

2 Likes

■■■■■■■ yes!!! Pink is on there now.

1 Like

Old is remembering there was a beta section as well

6 Likes

My father-in-law still has a beta machine. And tapes. Think he has the '84 and '85 GFs are on one.

Wanna wind him up, just ask him about the format wars. He was an engineer by trade so he is quite outspoken about things like that.

2 Likes

Screen Shot 2020-09-29 at 5.32.39 pm

When kids TV shows were created with the force of LSD

16 Likes

My father was convinced that because it was the superior technology, Betamax would win out over VHS, so that’s what he went for.

tenor

3 Likes

I got excited when a computer game was so big that it required a 1.44mb 3.5 inch floppy disk to fit it on.

9 Likes

Mine was 6. Unless more numbers makes you old? Either way I’m from the sticks so it probably doesn’t count.

5 Likes

it was in that category and ended up with a $900 clock

2 Likes

Same era. from memory the regions had a 3-digit area code where metro had 2. The area code was like a hard line (usually one side of the street to the other) where the properties ran to a different exchange.

You could literally call your neighbour across the road and be charged long distance rates by good ol’ Telecom.

Deep heat smells better than perfume.

Think regional had 6 numbers. Our house in St Leonards had 6 numbers, house in metro Melbourne had 7.

FTFY

House in Metro Melbourne. 6 digits.

Definitely 7 my end.

I remember that number still. Probably because it was one digit different to the local Chinese restaurant. We got dozens of calls a week trying to place orders, in the end I used to just take them and say “30-40 minutes” in a particularly racist accent.

Edit: Adelaide, we had 7 because we were clearly more advanced than Melbourne.

Moorabbin had 6 digits in 60s, can still remember the number.

Can’t remember current home number (having a home phone is a sign of age).

2 Likes