Returning Foreign Fighters

Should they be able to wander straight back in without repercussions? Military fantasy is one thing, trained military fantasists back in this community is something different altogether. And it shouldn’t matter who you were fighting for or against. What if the dh that returned today decides to launch a pre-emptive strike on someone or something here? Volunteering to scrap in Syria suggests he’s up for anything. Who knows what his agenda is. The police don’t. They let him go after a few minutes.

It’s a strange one.

The news made a point that referred to comments that had we or anyone else had troops on the ground that people wouldn’t be volunteering to go themselves.

They let him go as they are required to.

There is also an idea that he and others like him could become valuable sources of information about the situation on the ground…compared to what Governments and their networks would already know. Effectively espionage on the cheap.

So someone who served with the US military? The UK? Maybe the Foreign Legion?

But why? He qualified as a foreign fighter?
But why? He qualified as a foreign fighter?

Obviously they questioned him, he was involved in nothing controversial or dangerous and based on the information was rightly released.

i’m tipping his movements will be watched just a little more closely now.

Nothing controversial or dangerous?

He went there, without authorisation to kill people

He went there before the new laws came in, …

& mine swept for the Kurds AFAIK. I figured he had military training already??

Anyway, you can’t/shouldn’t apply laws retrospectively … right?? And if you were fighting for the side of the good guys/ side the Gov supports … surely it’s a non issue.

Nothing controversial or dangerous?

He went there, without authorisation to kill people

Do you know he went there to kill? Did he go there to assist with logistics maybe, or training possibly? What has he actually said he went there for?

I am not saying he did the right thing btw, I am just saying you don’t have all the facts, you have murky supposition by the media which rarely prints the facts these days. I trust that our police know how to question someone and have assessed his position and movements and have him on a tight leash while it is decided whether he fits under the new laws. Then if they feel there is a case he will face the courts where the facts will be tended and hopefully a correct decision made under the rule of law.

If you want the government to lock anyone they please without any evidence or a courts undertaking then explain why the hell we fight for our way of life?

Until they can prove he comitted a crime he should be considered innocent, and I say that about those going to the other side too. Until a crime is proven to be committed we have no right locking people up.

I’d just like to say that this guy is my hero.
Don’t know who he is.
But if I’m gonna support not locking up a guy for not breaking any Australian laws then some idiot is going to accuse me of heroising him anyway, so fark it.

He went to a war zone, pretty safe bet he went there to kill people. The nurse who claimed he went to Syria in order to help people wasn’t afforded the same benefit of doubt.

He went to a war zone, pretty safe bet he went there to kill people. The nurse who claimed he went to Syria in order to help people wasn't afforded the same benefit of doubt.

Perhaps it is the information that person had differed in his case.

That’s the key point.

If the information provided “checks out”, then the person concerned would be rightly released. Conversely, if the information given is different, then the reverse would apply.

Taking the poloice/seige mentality thing a step or few too far. If he has broken no laws in Oz, then he can’t be touched, and neither should he. To judge him a nutter is also not supported. The OP has judged someone on unknown actions.

So you’re not worried about his state of mind after returning from that Hell hole? What are his plans now? What new skills does he have and is he planning on using them here? Don’t forget, the outfit he was working for is considered a terrorist organisation by some, including Turkey.

Got to say the casual response by some on this issue is pretty surprising.

You want to defend Australia? Join the ADF You want to go all David Hicks, by all means but stay there.

maybe he just likes Kurds

So you're not worried about his state of mind after returning from that Hell hole? What are his plans now? What new skills does he have and is he planning on using them here? Don't forget, the outfit he was working for is considered a terrorist organisation by some, including Turkey.

Worth watching, sure.
Maybe I’m being naive, but i believe the AFP are capable of that.

So you're not worried about his state of mind after returning from that Hell hole? What are his plans now? What new skills does he have and is he planning on using them here? Don't forget, the outfit he was working for is considered a terrorist organisation by some, including Turkey.

Worth watching, sure.
Maybe I’m being naive, but i believe the AFP are capable of that.

Employ him in the ADF or DoD with his knowledge on the ground.