Review Thread- no finals this season

Bit rough on a guy who has been kicking regular bags of 3 the last month as apparently our 4th best forward

7 Likes

Twice we got 19 points up early in the qtr and twice we didn’t have the ruthlessness to really bury them.

We desperately need a skills coach and a 3rd marking target up forward

Listen to you guys whine. We played well they played a little better. We have grown enormously this year and we will do very well next year.

25 Likes

We only ever train on that one, unless you’re injured, then you’re on the other one.

2 Likes

Same ■■■■ different year, 20 to 27 points up = pedal off

“just enough” mentality, infected from boardroom to team, dragging the supporters along with it for 2 decades now

Other teams outgun us for work ethic season after season and the team produces the same lazy horseshit football despite how many new players we inject into the team, worse is that it’s the mature recruits from other clubs that work harder than our own club grown talent

1 Like

Pretty sure I read that last year…

2 Likes

We made Stratton look good. Stratton FFS.

3 Likes

Im not to mad about that one. Ripper game. Games like that don’t cost us finals. Freo (away), Footscray and ■■■■ Carlton do.

26 Likes

Always next year…always next year…always next year…always next year…

Maybe one year it’ll be this year?

2 Likes

How do you figure we have improved?

Lost twice to Hawks and Coll and lost to Carl.

All teams who finished behind us last year.

Also we finished in finals and this year we are 11th. Yep, improvement.

5 Likes

In fairness we make every lose marking defender look good.

6 Likes

We very nearly won and the comments would be very different here.

Captain looked ill from start to finish. Would not be surprised if some of them were crook.

1 Like

I’m hurting.

We’ve had our season ended by a team that I hate more than anything, simultaneously putting them in top 4 equation. I am so, so tempted to go full nuclear dummy spit (and can certainly understand those doing so) but I just don’t think that was the game to justify doing so. Absolutely there were a bunch of negatives today (many of which frustratingly are not new):

• We have been awful playing the G this year. That is not a trend we want to continue if we want to be regarded as a serious team.

• We are really poor at playing against teams that set up behind the ball.

• (Related to the above point) Hooker went forward far too late in the game. Stratton had already won it for them.

• Our skills can be sublime but too often let us down at crucial times.

• Some senior players really let us down today. Zaka won’t have fun re-watching the tape, squibbed a number of contests. Hepps’s disposal at times. Bellcho should have really hurt them playing on Ceglar and just didn’t. BJ has made a habit of making game defining mistakes - today no exception. These are all players who have been huge for us at various times in the year though so I don’t think it is worth throwing the baby out with the bathwater (though I think the writing is on the wall for BJ).

• We should have out-run Hawthorn with them coming off a 6-day Perth break but couldn’t (we kicked a few very late but the damage was done).

But it’s not all bad. Zach, epic. Tippa was in everything good. Fanta and Conor, despite some bad errors, both kept trying. McNeice was composed. Colyer was much improved. Bags forward is the experiment that keeps on giving. Hurls (who is taking the key targets again) keeps Roughead to one goal. Stringer kept going despite being shot.

If we are being honest with ourselves, we cooked our season when we lost to the Dogs, Freo and, famously, Carlton. I don’t think we were a serious finals chance since then but ■■■■■■ hell I’ve enjoyed the ride. Some of our best wins in recent memory and seemingly knocking out interstate hoodoo on the head. Easy to forget that we did that with a player than most would have identified before the year as our most important.

Looking ahead: Hopefully take some scalps in the last couple with nothing to lose. Next year, get Joe (and others but mostly Joe) back, hit the trade (or if not draft) period hard, and hopefully build on the back half of this year and have a decent run at it. There will be absolutely no excuses next year - if we don’t make finals again then it is a huge failure (and Woosh is done).

EDIT: As I type, Fox replays the Hawthorn song. Resolve seriously being tested.

22 Likes

Yeah pretty much this. Another example of not being able to handle a side that plays a roaming defender.

We still can’t do four in a row

2 Likes

I don’t think this game means anything. It certainly doesn’t mean we’ve improved and are on the right track. It also certainly doesn’t mean we haven’t improved or have gone backwards.

It was a good game that we lost by 4 points. That’s it.

9 Likes

Finals? Finals wins? This is Essington.

There’s no finals here. Here? There’s no finals. Finals? No. Robbo?

The maximum this club can hope to achieve every season is 10 - 12 wins.

Every fkn year, same old middle of the road CRAP or less.

8 Likes

We made Stratton look like the greatest defender of all time. What the the actual ■■■■ is Rance going to do to us

1 Like

Not one fkn win against our biggest rivals, lost twice to Collingwood, Hawthorn and Richmond*, lost against Carlton.

Fk off Essendon.

10 Likes