Review Thread v GWS - That was hazy good

For those at the game, how was Ambrose’s game? I only noticed him twice on tv and the stats suggest he did SFA. I know he usually plays a negating role, who did he play on?

Is he in any danger of being dropped or did he play his role well?

Ridley didn’t get much of it either, thoughts on his game?

Was actually thinking he could have been paid the free for his legs being taken out … but then I realised he was in red & black

Beat GWS and ■■■■■■■ with Football 101. Whilst I get it that we need structures especially at dead ball situations, the basics of football have never changed. Get it first, move it quickly to the advantage of your team, work your ■■■■ off when you don’t have it, and tackle the tatts off their arms when they have it.
If your leaders win their positions, the team follows, and usually wins the game.

Two weeks ago opposition clubs and supporters would have been eagerly lining up, licking their lips, to play us. We’d been worked out and ohh so easy to beat. They were looking forward to the kill.

Now, it’s no thanks. We are a dangerous side and one that opposition teams and supporters will view with a lot of trepidation and concern. A side that can bring genuine hard pressure football, but also a dangerous fast attacking style of football that can hurt you big time.

Now the Essendon team and supporters would be eagerly lining up, licking their lips, to take on all comers. To test ourselves to see what we can do. Knowing that we can play a winning game style.
We are now looking forward to doing the killing.

15 Likes

Great summary.
6 key words.
‘…Hard pressure football…’
‘…fast attacking style…’

12 hours after the final siren.

Thanks. Why does it take so long?

He was good in the first half and last quarter.
Cameron got hold of him in the third (when they were on top)

I suppose so that people don’t just wait for the ad-free replay, unless they’re prepared to wait 12 hours after its finished?

Couldn’t make it to the game, so I watched it on TV. Literally every five seconds the main caller (who was it?) was creaming himself over GWS, particularly Cameron. If I hear one more time how ‘incredibly talented’ he is I’m going to puke. Seriously, if you stopped watching the pics and just listened to his commentary you would swear on a stack of bibles that GWS crushed us.

2 Likes

The 3/4 time predictions on the 7 broadcast literally mentioned about 4-5 guys who could be the match-winner, all of them for GWS. This from a side who’d been behind from the 13 second mark.

I’d say unbelievable… but sadly all too believable.

9 Likes

Was OK but quiet for mine. It looked like he spent time wing/HF late, with Laverde dropping to HB. Could be in danger.

BASIL

Special mention to Darcy who talked about Kelly being ALL CLASS every time he got the ball and both times he kicked a behind.

21 Likes

Also any idea why Saad ended up on Patton more than once?

2 Likes

Obviously great win
However, i wonder what the selectors will do
keep parish, hurley etc in the VFL? Bring them back?
what do you guys think?

Guefli?

Gonna go out on a limb and say. Patton worked his ■■■■ off to get to space and Saad saw a free gws player. Hence the mismatch

Very, very happy with the win, all round team effort, which is pleasing.

Glad Lav is starting to show at least a few signs (must have read my post a few weeks back :wink:)

(wanted to post last night, but fell in a heap after the siren, like I’d been out there playing, was tense and anxious all match and tried to cure it with a few drinks, think I over did it :slightly_smiling_face:)

10 Likes

To me it looked like Saad was taking any tall who pushed up past half forward, with Hooker/Ambrose dropping off. Obviously was meant to switch back once they pushed deep again, but that didn’t happen. You’d have to have full top-down vision to work out how the GWS guys worked it, but they were doing it well.

1 Like

Doubt any crowd got that view. Looked like top deck was closed.