Review Thread v GWS - That was hazy good

Tonight, off the back of last week, proves we have reverted to last year’s game plan abut with much stronger intensity around the ball than for most of last year (Smith’s inclusion particularly important). As a result of moving the ball quickly forward the players are kicking more, running more and enjoying their footy more.

I’m not sure Bellchambers will ruck better than that - they said on the telecast during Q4 he had 19 hitouts to advantage which must be some sort of record. And Heppell (especially) and our midfield feasted on this dominance.

Heppell is now playing with the hard edge a captain should and leading by example instead of looking for cheap possessions he would just turn over. Zaharakis has turned himself into an inside ball winning mid. His 19 CP tonight only bettered by Callan Ward’s 20.

Guelfi is proof all recruiters should re-think what makes an AFL player - how was he overlooked in 2 drafts. His whole game, but especially Q4 when it mattered, was outstanding. Simply has no fear and works defensively to help his teammates which is something that has become a hallmark of our entire midfield.

As a result, our 4 lowest possession winners were 4 defenders: Ridley, Dea, Hooker and Ambrose. A month ago we would have had a number of those defenders our top possession winners.

Speaking of Ridley, his composure is amazing for only a second game player. More importantly, he is proof of recruiting a naturally good kick. His disposal looks just as elite as McKenna, Zach Merrett and Goddard’s (most of the time). Would keep him in for next week if he is not to sore. Hurley can have another week off.

McKenna and Saad continue to defend well and then attack well when the opportunity presents. they make it very hard for the opposition to set up a zone they move the ball so quickly.

Baguley is a player transformed up forward and Stringer gets better with every week and I hope he explodes on the big stage next Saturday night. His burgeoning form looks ominous.

Next week will be a supreme test against the best team and reigning premier but we are playing the right sort of football, with the right mindset, to play well and win. Just have to keep up that midfield intensity.

41 Likes

wob and dp.

when 2 emotional forces meet.

4 Likes

It was that one, the clear holding in the middle before it, and the overturned Langford mark that did me in.

I like dkp so much more when he’s on acid.

13 Likes

What about the two tippa ones, one he even got legged without the ball

5 Likes

Legit making myself a honey drink: poor throat.

2 Likes

Rum took a beating tonight. I drink more during a win due to the celebratory factor.
*took great care typing this. Was wonky on the typing.

6 Likes

Clearly the Umpires time their blinks and synchronise them to when Essendon is infringed.

5 Likes

It was probably Donnington.

Does it come with a middle leg option? Asking for a friend.

3 Likes

Essendon 4-0 against 2017 finalists
Essington 0-6 against 2017 non-finalists

Standard

32 Likes

I drank cos of the carron game xos it was the onlyg way ro xope.

Now i deink for victory haha

4 Likes

middle?

4 Likes

Essington 0-3 in finals

1 Like

Apologies, very incentive of me.

Is your predictive text drunker than you are?

6 Likes

Ntbe usl.

1 Like

No … i just dont care … and eanna post my ezcitement.

If ypur at that eixhmons game i want a hug :wink:

3 Likes

I knew Blitz is important but now we are getting credit for it.

33 Likes

It’s impossible to spell that badly.

The phone just wouldn’t let you. Surely it would be spitting out actual words, at a minimum.

7 Likes