Review Thread v GWS - That was hazy good

If we do, will they get to cheer too?

Haha my phone knows how bad i am when drunk

1 Like

Accompanying it with something HOT no doubt.

8 Likes

THIS

1 Like

This from the H-S live football commentary: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/afl-round-10-follow-all-the-action-from-a-massive-saturday-of-football/news-story/c001eea5bc14823b4de7d764279cbd43

BOMBERS PRESSURE TELLS

JAMIE TATE

IT all came down to pressure in the end.

Devon Smith led Essendon’s constant harassment of his former Greater Western Sydney teammates to help the Bombers score an emphatic 35-point win at Spotless Stadium.

Essendon had a team pressure rating of 211, the third week in a row it has been above 200. Champion Data says they are ridiculous numbers.

Smith, one of Essendon’s few consistently high performers this year, had 13 tackles in a well-rounded game that also included 21 disposals and a goal.

“When we bring it (pressure), as you saw last week we were amazing with it, our intent was great … We bring that, we can beat anyone,” Smith said.

Essendon was smashed by the critics for its Round 8 loss to Carlton but has hit back hard with wins against Geelong and the Giants on the road.

“It was great for us to get a win,” Smith said.

“I feel a bit sad for the (Giants boys), they’re going through a tough time. So were we, so that’s why it was a massive game for us and it was huge to get the win.”

It was also Smith’s first game against GWS after 109 games in six years at the Giants.

“It was strange,” he said. “I almost called for the ball off Coggsy (Stephen Coniglio) in the first.”

9 Likes

That’s how you know it’s genuine.

1 Like

It is - their thought chain should be we can beat anyone + the 3 umps any day

1 Like

Those Langford decisions just show you how fallible the umpires are and how prone they are to influence that they shouldn’t be prone to.

I said it in the match thread but if Buddy did what he did in the goal square the mark would be paid 99 times out of 100. If Dangerfield or even some other big name like Jobe was held by Shaw the whistle would have been blown before he even let go.

And Langford would have 3 goals to his name and we’d be all creaming about how much he’s building some form.

25 Likes

But two of these games were wins, and one was one of the worst losses you’ve ever seen.

So maybe it’s a useless metric?

11 Likes

Re Guelfi he has played on some big bodied seasoned blokes in the WAFL and although the WAFL skills may not be at AFL level, he is far ahead of most first year AFL players in terms of pressure and consistency.
I’d say he has been picked up on the basis of his WAFL performance.

5 Likes

Perhaps, but there is a strong correlation between that number and winning games.

Doesn’t guarantee you the win but you won’t lose too often if you have a pressure rating over 200.

basically saying ‘■■■■ them’

1 Like

How many? 3?

True, fact is no other club rated him but us given we took him so late - especially the WA clubs.

One day, recruiters will work out how to spot these types earlier.

1 Like
Official crowd: 10,789

45% full? Yeah nah.

1 Like

It’s an interesting stat regardless of how important it is.

They’ve basically found a way of quantifying if a team has ‘turned up’ or not.

Honestly the most all round, 4 quarter interstate display against good opposition since 2014 v Port?

I just can’t believe the difference between this and the carlton game 14 days ago, its mind boggling.

29 Likes

Did we turn up against Carlton?

2 Likes

Damn that Mark Neeld.

2 Likes

Sadly, yes.