Review Thread vs Roos. Little of Essington Little of Essendon

Said it in the match thread but like or not Brown is elite

20 Likes

I’m glad you were wrong WOB. :wink:

1 Like

He is such a good player. But good to see him lose. And boy does Atley have wheels. If they balls their cap we should throw cash at him when he becomes a free agent.

Give the first 3/4 a miss :grinning:

1 Like

That doesn’t exactly fill me with any confidence what so ever going fwd. We really should be putting sides like this away early, the players seem to show up for the big games, but not ones where we are expected to win. We wont go very far until we come mentally prepared every week. What is the cause of this? If we could fix this we would be a very good team.

The umpiring was absolutely putrid, but so was our kicking, and our work rate in the first half. Our fwds pushed up the ground way to far, and seemed to be in no mans land in the first half. Hence there repeat entry’s, we had no one to kick it to coming out of defense. Once we did get it fwd our kicking into the fwd line was terrible.

In the last quarter there young side was simply out of legs, we where ■■■■■■ lucky.

You could drive the titanic between our best footy and our worst.

2 Likes

No. It’s a nail biter but I think the doomsday attitude in the match thread was a bit OTT.

1 Like

I’m at the point where I would rather play decent opposition, I have more confidence we will bring our best.

Prob get on us V Adelaide at Etihad, it’s the type of team we are, Occassion gets us up.

The dogs game is the type we lose, generally cos we have something to play for.

I hate I’ve become an Essendon pessimist, but it’s how we are.

Pity we won eh? Cheer up, we might lose next week to make you feel better.

7 Likes

I still think its really clear we need a couple of (or at least one) explosive bulls in the midfield to round off the side. Get a hard ball and also bust through the pack. Hopefully Parish can bulk up further.

3 Likes

Such a frustrating team

We often smack the teams we expected to lose against or at least play ripping footy to be in a position to win.

But cannot put away the sides we expected to beat, often always giving them a sniff to win or coughing up a good lead via our own poor football play (be in intensity / disposal / goal kicking etc).

Agree. & I’m going to.

There’s no one to come in with abit of pace. Maybe Long. Not much else.

The game was frustratingly frustrating to watch…but we got the points in the end. We would hope that the difficulty our players faced during the game umpires, wayward ball movements, Sideshow Bob we will go ahead against Bulldogs with some Angry Essendon Football.

1 Like

While I do agree that we are in need of an explosive bull in the middle, its not the personals ability that is the main issue. Its the mental state of most the team when coming up against teams we should beat. This has happened with our past 3 coaches. Somehow we need to build a ruthless culture at the club, I think the coaches and leaders are working hard to do this but its certainly not coming easily.

Geez jobe was hard at it today. He was so important in keeping us in it. Not as dominant as he has been but his body was constantly in at the bottom or making big tackles.
Given the number of times we’ve lost to this job in the last 15 years, I’m rapt just to get a good solid win.

9 Likes

He made moves, but you know that.

1 Like

F*CK no !

Abhorrent decision maker, and average kick.

Not enough and very reactionary.
I get that he wants to leave it on the players heads but sometimes you have to override them.

Kangas played very well supported by maggots in first half. Ben Brown and Waite were just too good at times.

Kicking over 20 goals is hardly pathetic. Jobe was very good, and McGrath was about BOG, and we won without much influence from Joe.

2 Likes

I think it’s that crap teams play differently against us, and that whilst we have plan A humming along when we play attacking sides, (and the defence fires under that attack and we do the centreing & rebound run & gun), but are not yet as schooled in & are still working on the plan B, when sides go about blocking the corridor, & going defensive, to the point of putting the extra back, and Woosh has said, they won’t respond to that, (the thing that sent Wim apoplectic) but he wants them to get better at “OUR” plan B.

I think they ended up getting a lot closer to learning it & making it work in the end today.