Review v cats

Laverde hurt his ankle hopefully not too bad but he is in a moon boot.

I reckon we did well today even if it was lol worthy at times.

• Parish showed some grunt
  • Stewart is gelling with the forward line and did well.
  • Tippa and Fanta = ā€˜Oh Myā€™ combo. Were everywhere and did some nice things.
  • Zerrett wasnā€™t taking a back seat at all with the inclusion of the banned guys.

The biggest positive for me, was that our younger players were almost entirely responsible for that first half. Our older players are still struggling.

Our ball movement, while exciting, was at times overly and needlessly complex. I reckon a lot of that will be sorted out soon.

7 Likes

Worsfold said Belly a chance to play the VFL next week.

I think Heartly and Dea will be right in the mix considering a couple of average defensive players today.

Dea for Baguely and Heartly for Brown?

5 Likes

Havenā€™t seen the game and will reserve comments on the result until I have, but itā€™s pretty ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  disheartening that the only player that we couldnā€™t afford to have go down with injury, has gone and got himself struck down with injury.

2 Likes

Oh well that doesnā€™t sound bad at all

3 Likes

Yep. I think things will look pretty scrappy through the 1st month or so. But Iā€™m thinking & hoping sheer enthusiasm from the team taking to the park for the 1st time together will get us over the line against the Hawks.

As long as theyā€™ve settled & got things working a lot smoother by Anzac Day ā€¦

1 Like

Wasnt watching today as am overseas. How bad did lueys hammy look?

No one knew it happened until he had ice on it.

With everything else iā€™m hoping we are doing the rope a dope. ā€œEssendon have a good first half then fadeā€.

4 Likes

Baguley ordinary and so too Begley. Bad game for Baguley but whether you like it or not heā€™s in the round 1 team. Nobody is a direct replacement for him that can hold their own at this stage. However I hope he isnā€™t in the team by the end of the year, meaning McKenna or McGrath earn the spot. Begley obviously showed signs last week and was terrible this week.

Was wondering the same thing ā€¦ lull Hawthorn into a false sense.

Almost willing to bet one Looney bloke is in for Rnd 1.

But, ā€¦ Shhhhhh!

1 Like

This season has a 2009 or 2010 feel about it, we will look fkn exhilarating at times and also diabolical.

Got a 10th to 12th final position written on it.

Which doesnā€™t bother me, just get all the players out there, find out which senior players are past it and ship em out progressively through the season.

Very happy with the under 25ā€™s progression so far.

12 Likes

Yep, way off it at the moment. Canā€™t see us getting above 10th. Our kick outs have been poor in all 3 matches, struggle to clear it from defence and opposition get repeat entries. Our run through the middle is great but when that gets blocked off we have no movement and it looks like we donā€™t have a plan b as well.

You guys sure can read a lot into practice match results (e.g. where we will finish at the end of the year).

10 Likes

Today reminded me so much of when Knights was coaching. Can play some exciting football in the first half and then come to complete stop and look bottom 4 in the 2nd half when the opposition apply some pressure.

Down hill skiing at his best and I hope John is smarter than Knights was.

1 Like

Way to wipe the smile off my face bombers.
that 3rd qtr was really disappointing, it really exposed issues with our stoppages which has been an issue in all games played so far this year.
A lot of work to be done. Really need to find a sustained effort for more than just a qtr or a half,

1 Like

Yep all 3 games we had a commanding lead and then gone to poo after half time and lose. Might put some money on the Hawks at half time if they are losing badly that way if we do cough up a lead and lose I wont have to resort to slashing my wrists after the game lol.

2 Likes

Not sure why all the negative posts.

Our forward line works; a six of Daniher, Fanta, Walla, Hooker, Stewart, Green seems very good to me

We were 40 points up without a real ruckman, and Watson, Heppell, Goddard got plenty of ball early, but were a bit rusty.

Zerrett was good, but needs to kick with his right foot, or become too predictable, Parish and Colyer were very good. Langford showed a lot.

Our backline was undersized, but good in first half.

We will make the eight, when you add in Hocking, Hooker, Hartley and TBell

5 Likes

Feels awful to go into the season on the back of a woeful 2nd half of football. They kicked 13.4 to our 3.5. When we have a near full strength side out there, that sort of performance has to be concerning.

On the upside, I wanted to see Daniher get more of itā€¦ tick.

I wanted to see us win the ball out of the centre. We won 20 to 15ā€¦ tick. Unfortunately though, I didnā€™t expect Heppell and Watson to only win 3 between them.

It does appear that we have no interest in trying to negate the performances of the oppositions best players. Which at the very least allows me to forgive Woosh for the Brions debacle last year. But I just cannot see it working. The best players in the competition will destroy us.

And once again we just didnā€™t get it inside 50 enough.

Ah wellā€¦ we go into round 1 without much confidence, but here is hoping we pull off a win.

1 Like

I agree itā€™s the fading out in games Iā€™m concerned with.

1 Like