Ricky Dyson rejoins then leaves Essendon

And in the Marsh. He played in their only flag win in Ballarat league in 2016 but is not a favorite son.

Jetta has lost the plot recently too

That’s no good to hear re Leroy was only watching this the yesterday.

Rennie certainly is tough to find! Hope Ricky and the 3rd rounder don’t blink and miss the footy ground.

Look forward to seeing how he goes against my childhood team the Blighty Redeyes.

Blighty is a mighty club. Certainly punches above its weight for its population.
I was playing with Waaia when Rennie came into the league. Would say 95% of the club never heard of it, let alone knew where it was.
Sadly I didn’t have any cousins in the district to marry, so I was ostracized from Waaia and left.

4 Likes

You still live up that way mate?

My Son & G/Son play for Picola, . or did, … last year when it was on.

1 Like

No I moved to Melbourne about 10 years ago and exchanged milking cows for cleaning windows.
I probably should have played for Numurkah, however cause of their FC club colours, I choose to play for the Waaia Bombers.

7 Likes

Are your son & G/Son going to play for Picola again when things “return to normal”?

Good choice. I tried to convince them to play there too. :wink:

Actually wanted him to buy an acreage out there. Only 30 g’s with power & water ready.

1 Like

Son may find it a bit beyond him now after stopping, … and he’s also moving into a new Career at Berry St as a Youth worker, . so I’m not sure.

GSon is champing at the bit to get back out there. Started training in small groups ala AFL last I heard. Actually might be playing by this W/end, I forgot to ask him on Tuesday.

Have any Country league comps re started yet ?

1 Like

Could buy a property in Picola with the same proximity to the Murray River as Yarrawonga, however with literally one less zero in the price.

This guy brought some land in the area.

2 Likes

In what sense?

Always felt strange playing against Waaia given they wore such a perfect football jumper. Blighty was great fun and still serves the local community very well. A few of my old junior teams tasted premiership success last year in the reserves - playing in the twilight of their careers. It’s tougher than ever to keep the club going with far fewer farms and shrinking local population. Unfortunately to be competitive they need to spend a money -even as a club in a low level district league. The signing of Fev and Ricky clearly demonstrates this. But unfortunately spending cash puts them out of favour amongst a lot of other clubs and many of the locals.

When I was playing junior footy the Waaia seniors were at the back end of one of the most dominant periods ever in country footy. The Picola League was always great league with only a couple of the teams having an actual town.

The growth of teams was amazing as well as it went from 8 teams to 17 and two divisions over the next 10 years after I first played.

3 Likes

Waaia and Blighty had a great rivalry through the 90’s and early 00’s. Quiet a few punches to the head happened in that time. Waaia were pretty dirty.
Crackers Keenan wrote a great article about 10 years ago for Inside Football about how the likes of Aka, Hall, Fev and the likes were tearing the hearts of clubs taking huge money for 1 or 2 games. Paying of players has wrecked what Country Football was.
Hopefully there will be a spike in attendance for Rennie and maybe some more interest in the League. Alcohol consumption will be up but probably not sales. Brendan will be helping himself to the drinks and possibly any unattendant Netball girls.

1 Like

Did your son do any work with the Yorta Yorta community outside Barmah that linked with Picola before starting at Berry St?

He is connected with them, and did some work there a few years back, but not immediately before the Berry st stuff, no.

1 Like

Picola League now cancelled so Ricky and Fev won’t be running around for Rennie.

1 Like

Disappointing for all the clubs. Apart from the weather and beef/milk prices, there was bugger all else to talk about!

2 Likes