Ridiculous Player Titles for No Particular Purpose

I don’t mind it, but can’t we call him the Junior Internal Implementation Designer?

http://www.bullshitjob.com/title/

Semi-serious. I think he’d be good in a role like that, but I wouldn’t call him Junior Captain.

Dont the players who are not captains take on “mentoring” roles for more recent draftees ? There needs to be about a 3-4 year gap.
Its practice for leadership. Its essential for draftees to learn how to behave and how to train. They need to adjust to life as a professional athlete.

Isnt this in fact a similar thing, isnt it even more important that mentors be used, than having just one single "junior captain? I suppose not all players are well suited to being a mentor , I am absolutely positive Hepp is, but rather than just one , there would be a group of about 4-6 players in their 4th-5th year, given the mentor task ?

I’ve always thought the notion of a “captain” is almost a cop out/excuse for the rest of the team to show 5#!7 all leadership

Should be like a government department. Everyone is some kind of captain.

Who does fletch captain?

Remember when you were little there would always be a kiddy table at family events? Then when you turn 23 you’re apparently “too old”?

A reply to: @Scorpio regarding QuoteLink

I'd like to see us get rid of the leadership group rubbish and go back to Captain, Vice Captain and Deputy Vice Captain. A leadership group to me is like prefects at school, empowering them to make sure their peers follow the rules. I hate it. I think it gives wannabe leaders a power they don't need. Have the Cap, VC and DVC and let them run the show
It's voted on by the players, it's not necessarily who wants to be a leader but who the whole playing list want to lead them. Dropping it from 6 or whatever it is now to 3 ain't going to change anything. Nor will giving each member of the leadership group a special title.

A reply to: @Clone_Hirdy regarding QuoteLink

I'm going to go to work today and suggest both a senior and junior CEO be appointed.

Then as junior CEO, I will start a ku to remove the senior CEO.

In a cruel twist of fate, your structure comes through, but your nemesis is given the JCEO role - and you are demoted to shoe shiner.
Your ku fails.

I’m going to go to work today and suggest both a senior and junior CEO be appointed.

Then as junior CEO, I will start a ku to remove the senior CEO.

This is ridiculous

No

A reply to: @Barnz regarding QuoteLink

No

I see where you’re coming from.
Have you considered lithium?

Multiple captains is stupid and unnecessary if the kid has leadership qualities they’ll be in the leadership no need to create a token role for them.

Make them all captains.

Isn’t that why you have a leadership group though? Often the group would include a mix of older and younger players.

yeh nah.
i think Heppell will be in the leadership group anyway.
and he doesnt need a title given he is already a a leader at the club & the under 23 group look up to him and see what he has acheived in his short time.
and then on the 14th of May or next year who do we give the junior captaincy too? Kav/gleeson/Merrett…dont think there is one standout of the next bunch

poor poor poor idea.

No one actually reads op’s, do they?

A reply to: @Deckham regarding QuoteLink

No one actually reads op's, do they?

I do.

It’s just a bad idea.

Possible things that can go wrong:

• both older and younger players get disenchanted (before they need to)
  • Friction is caused between the younger captain and senior players
  • any difference in philosophy between the 2 captains will cause a split amongst team mates
  • the young captain will be less motivated to work as hard for the captaincy, as it’s already been handed to him
  • If young captain is injured, or has a form slump, then you might have to take the young captaincy off him, which will cause more trouble.

Positives:

• None that aren’t already available via the current leadership structure.

I see no value for us.

For StKilda though, it would be a good idea for the junior captain to be in charge of all social/end of year events.

I’m sure Hepps is already a leader of sorts to those types of players without having to have a “junior captain” title. Everyone knows he is the next skipper in waiting, he’s already part of the leadership group, I’m sure he’s already proving to be a great role model for guys like Laverde, Langford, Z.Merrett, etc.