RIP Robert Flower true legend

Agree, very sad news. Untimely - he wouldn't have been that old, surely. Late 50's-60?
He was a freak on the field - probably would have excelled in today's game such were his skills and attributes.

Born in 1955.
Remember going to a sports shop he owned in the 80's. Great guy.

In Eastland, right? I was only a young kid, but I remember being fitted for runners by him and him being really nice.

I asked him why he didn't come across to Essendon and he turned his back to me and put out his hand for some cash.  It was rather funny.  My mum had no idea what was going on.
So sad that he has died this young and this suddenly.  Condolences to his family.

Never saw him play, only read about him. However he seems to be one of the few footballers who no one ever will have a bad thing to say about them.

Like he was a great footballer who was a fair player and a pure gentleman, humble person off the field.

RIP

Dad and Granddad barracked for Melbourne, and I saw a very little bit that I remember from when I was young, and heard a great deal more. Terrible loss for MFC and the footy world in general. Amazing player, whose skills were only matched by the number of times the opposition tried to take him out. Such a shame Stynes walked through the mark. :frowning:

from Mero's post

'He played footy like a ballet dancer dances. graceful, looking effortless, but underneath busting his guts.'

beautifully put Mero.

RIP Robert Flower

As a young fella in the seventies I would take notice of how all Essendon players performed but only noticed opposition players if they did something special. Robbie Flower was one opposition player I did notice. RIP Robbie.

Never got to see him play but used to watch highlights of him when the Classic FoxFooty channel used to replay Melbourne games. Was definitely a gun.

RIP Robert. Condolences to his family.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/you-were-a-great-human-being-tulip/story-fni0fiyv-1227078327629

I want everyone to read this tribute by Mike Sheahan. Beautifully written. You will choke up reading it.

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-10-03/remembering-robert-flower

Nice highlights package.

When WA V Victoria in the S o O, you'd spew when you read the name R Flower.

Never had a shocker.

He's gone, too young, patron saint of skinny footballers, Robbie Flower aka tulip. When he had the ball in his hands time slowed down.  A pleasure to watch in full flight.

When WA V Victoria in the S o O, you'd spew when you read the name R Flower.

Never had a shocker.

Spoken with a heavy WA heart there Diggers.

RIP Tulip.

l am still in shock over this. Way too young to do like this. Like others l can only comment by saying he was an absolute gem of a player. All poise, all class all the time. Modest and also unassuming, he was sl slightly built that he looked like he would be broken in half but when it came to playing the game he was no light weight. 

Condolences to his family. 

Dad and Granddad barracked for Melbourne, and I saw a very little bit that I remember from when I was young, and heard a great deal more. Terrible loss for MFC and the footy world in general. Amazing player, whose skills were only matched by the number of times the opposition tried to take him out. Such a shame Stynes walked through the mark. :(

Very doubtful Flower would have been fit enough to play the next week.

When he was talking about Stynes's blunder, he mentioned that he'd missed a sitter early on when he had a set shot touched on the mark. No player should take the blame for a blue right at the end. I do recall 3 or 4 horrible Melbourne misses in the last quarter...Yates and Eishold being two of them. Eishold was almost in the square.

When Flower kicked a goal it was always dead-centre. One of the most skilled players of his era.  

When Flower kicked a goal it was always dead-centre. One of the most skilled players of his era.

One of the most balanced, beautiful to watch, players of any era.

With my Dad and brother barracking for Melbourne and growing up in the 70’s and 80’s I saw a bit of Flower. Always liked him.

Met him a couple of times and was lucky enough to spend Darby Day on the ■■■■ with him last year. By the end of the day he had his tie wrapped around his head singing Macho Man. I still have the photo.

It was that day he told me about Neale Daniher before it became public. Robbie was saying how Neale was far too young to die and now Robbie is gone. Very sad.