RIP Robert Flower true legend

Some sad news about Melbourne Legend Robert Flower who has passed away.

Was one of the smoothest moving footballers ever to grace the field and a gentleman off it.

RIP and condolences to the family.

Agree, very sad news.  Untimely - he wouldn't have been that old, surely.  Late 50's-60?

He was a freak on the field - probably would have excelled in today's game such were his skills and attributes.

Probably the last Melbourne icon.

Agree, very sad news.  Untimely - he wouldn't have been that old, surely.  Late 50's-60?

He was a freak on the field - probably would have excelled in today's game such were his skills and attributes.

Born in 1955.

Remember going to a sports shop he owned in the 80's. Great guy.

another legend of the sport gone , sad to hear so close to home with recent events

Thats terrible news, genuine legend of the game

Agree, very sad news. Untimely - he wouldn't have been that old, surely. Late 50's-60?

Born in 1955.
Remember going to a sports shop he owned in the 80's. Great guy.

In Eastland, right? I was only a young kid, but I remember being fitted for runners by him and him being really nice.

59 is way too young. Amazing leader for melbourne and legend of the game. Gone too soon.

I have to say… My thoughts go out to the melbourne footy club. Troy Broadbridge, Jimmy Stynes, Dean Bailey and now Robbie Flower all gone too soon.

Saw him kick a great goal at Windy Hill one day, running and bouncing from deep defence.  Did that sort of thing often.  Looked like he could been blown over by a strong wind, but his skinny body was able to stand up to plenty of physical pressure.  Great footballer.  RIP.

Very sad. Did he have family?

Sad news. He and Keith Greig were the great wingers from about 1974 on. Far too young.

Yes

Yeah I went to school with his daughter. I think there was a son as well.

Awful. Far far too young.

One of the greatest wingmen (if not the greatest) of all time.

:(

There are very few players that were universally loved and respected by supporters of all clubs.

He was one of them.

RIP Tulip

Will long be remembered as the man who's only final appearances were his last three games, and for Stynes running across the mark. I don't use this term often, but he was a beautiful footballer to watch, all grace and skill with great evasive ability and a fair turn of speed. Him, Hawkins and Matera the three stand out wingmen I have had the pleasure of watching. R.I.P. Robbie, the world is tonight a lesser place.

He was probably my favorite player from another team, for a long time.

He was what we would call an outside player by today's standards. 

But he was one of the best in his era, and probably one of the best ever.

He played footy like a ballet dancer dances. graceful, looking effortless, but underneath busting his guts.

Years after footy I met him at a Footy Heritage function at Melbourne.

He introduced himself "err, hi, my name's Robert".

The three guys I was with all looked at each other like "duh; you're Robbie Flower, everyone knows who you are".

When I told him I was an Essendon supporter and he was my favorite player from another team he was dead set embarrassed and told me that meant a lot to him. And I don't think he was BS-ing. 

(And I'd had a few reds, so he could have just brushed it off as another pissed idiot blowing smoke)

We had a chat about how he never liked playing at Windy Hill because one wing was the Members and they were always very vocal, and the other was the Outer, and they were worse.

Very humble, very nice bloke, in an industry where plenty of blokes let their position in society go to their heads.

He could handball too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlZO6Fccr9Q

Never in doubt.

Very sad news- at least I had the pleasure of seeing him play live. Absolute champion