RIP Trapper John

Wayne Rogers, who played opposite Alan Alda for 3 seasons on MAS*H, has dropped off the twig aged 82.

I didn’t realise he’d left after 3 seasons because he refused to sign a new contract which had an undefined morals clause, i.e he could be sacked for doing something that someone at the studio disapproved of.

I suspect he was right into llama ■■■■ and didn’t want it brought to light.

Sad to see any decent person croak, but fark me I hated that show. Moralising ‘we are america’ at it’s absolute worst.

MASH is actually one of my all time favourite shows (minus some of Alan Alda’s preachy moments).

Rogers was actually more peeved and decided to leave the show as Alda’s character took over and was the focal point while his character was relegated to support role with not much of a story. He has said that if he had known it was last that long he would have stayed and sucked it up.

Rogers did alright for himself though, ran a successful business after MASH.

I remember the M.A.S.H spinoff Trapper John MD. Most people wouldn’t.

Sad to see any decent person croak, but fark me I hated that show. Moralising 'we are america' at it's absolute worst.

Reboot, for once we see eye to eye. Moralising, soft-centred, cornball mush. The movie was good, the TV show was a travesty.

I remember the M.A.S.H spinoff Trapper John MD. Most people wouldn't.

I remember it as well. Wasn’t that great a show.

I liked the show. Very easy watching as a kid. Except the season where they added canned laughter, still annoys me.

I like/d MASH. It’s stood up well, IMHO, next to almost any 70s/80s sitcom

I liked the show. Very easy watching as a kid. Except the season where they added canned laughter, still annoys me.

The canned laughter was around from the very first episode and it was the one thing that Alan Alda fought against and won the removal of.

l didn’t mind it. Strong anti-warstatement made on popular TV at a time when the US was still involved in Vietnam.

I remember in the pilot episode there was a black man that shared the tent with Hawkeye, Trapper and Burns and they called him Spear chucker.

Things have changed somewhat.

I remember in the pilot episode there was a black man that shared the tent with Hawkeye, Trapper and Burns and they called him Spear chucker.

They cut spearchucker for historical accuracy purposes (or so they say), at least partly, as there were no black surgeons in MASH units during the Korean war.

FWIW, I enjoyed the tv show a lot, but the movie was classic. So funny.

They cut spearchucker for historical accuracy purposes (or so they say), at least partly, as there were no black surgeons in MASH units during the Korean war.

http://mash.wikia.com/wiki/Oliver_Harmon_"Spearchucker"_Jones

Must have been a few cross dressers then

l remember them trying out the results of their still. Upon trying the less than perfect concoction, that left both of them gasping and hoarse, one of them said, ‘Hmmm, Tuesday was a very good year.’ l thought it was Trapper who said it, now l’m not so sure, but it is a great line, and l like to use, when l talk about many of the local Chinese attempts at what they call wine.