Rob Harding is the architect of our recent success. Discuss

We are all just guessing really. My guess is personnel has as much to do with it as anything. Transitioning three important players (S,S,S) impacting all lines into a team takes time. For them and their teammates. We had an injured key position forward who we went to often and he was incapable due to injury of performing. McKenna bit an opponent and missed a month and Raz was out injured.

With S.S.S settled, the forward line less predictable and runners Conor and Raz back it makes sense that we have improved.

1 Like

win loss
The Langford 6 wins 2 losses
McKernan 5 wins 2 losses
Guelfi 6 wins 3 losses
Razzle Dazzle 6 wins 3 losses
Mitch Brown 4 wins 2 losses

1 Like

The form reversal and Joe Dan’s injury showed us that we don’t need so many talls to have an effective forward line in the modern game.

Something we’ve known for near on a decade but neglected to try anything other than two slow talls, resting mids and defensive small forwards.

The more mobile forward line meant the midfield had more moving options and can transfer the footy a hell of a lot quicker than waiting for lumbering talls to get in place while the opposition get numbers around the contest.

It’ll be interesting to see how Joe Dan slots back into the forward line. He is a must have in our forward line, but the mix around him needs to be spot on. No more, Hooker forward to give Daniher some support as that will just slow down the forward line.

5 Likes

We are keeping our structure forward of the ball better. Everything flows from that as it’s allowing us to beat the press (meaning less turnovers), and dragging opposition defenders further back creating space for our runners to punch through (is it just me or are there fewer handball fumbles now?).

The question is why it took so long to happen, when myself and every person with eyes could see our forwards were getting sucked out of position (the Hawthorn game was the one where I lost my mind)?

I have two bobs (like most) and not sure how Harding fits in:

1. Personel - Daniher was lame and Stewart wasn’t doing his job. Brown has been a real revelation as a disciplined and hard working forward who understands his role in the team (cop that haters).

2. Risk taking philosophy (the Neeld factor) - I have fk all basis for this, except the vibe that says Neeld is the kind of manager that says show some initiative but who you know damn well they’re going to rake you over the coals if it doesn’t work out 100% perfectly. Our players are prepared to kick to a contest (or in space to our forwards advantage) so they’re less inclined to get sucked up the ground chasing kicks.

7 Likes

Honestly who the ■■■■ knows anymore the whys and hows.
If you had of said 5 mins after the carlton game, sack neeld and this is what will happen , no one would have believe you.

Is it harding , who knows.

The wc game was the first time in along time ive seen us genuinely play through players , brown and bags , to not allow McGovern to zone off or jetta to free wheel it.

I think browns contribution has been pretty good in the sense of helping the team set up right, kicking to the right spots at the right times eg bartel pointing out in the last qtr against north, brown had the opporunity to kick the ball into the corridor , but kicked along the line into the pocket, so as to at worst force a stoppage and allow us to set up defensively.

I dont know if its better planning , better tactics or what or the message being delivered clearer or better.

The biggest change ive noticed is , for the most part they now hold onto the ball, even in traffic and back themselves to get out of trouble.
Hell it was the first time ive ever seen myers look not as panicked as he always does.

Confidence is a wonderdul thing when you have it, and then little things seem to flow on and look good and work from that.

I mean if you had of said at the start of the year , we would kick over a 100 points without any of jd, hooker or stewart in the forwardline , while having mxkernan, brown and bags in our forwardline you’d be considered mad.

Again who knows what or who started it, but they now seem to have so much confidence in each other and the way they want to play.

7 Likes

IMO its quite simple.

You have McKernan FF, Stringer forward pocket, and let Joe roam high half forward. Brown gets the chop.

And to that list of things that have precipitated the change, id add Begley out of the forwardline and adding in Baguley, someone who is actually fully fit and capable of playing a defensive forward role.

This! Earlier in the season - all the way back to the preseason actually - there were post game comments from woosh about ‘confusion’ and players ‘not executing’ the game plan.

When asked ‘what’s changed’ since R8 most of the responses have been very cautions but some (eg, woosh and BJ) have mentioning ‘clarity’ and better ‘focus’.

I also think it’s very easy to lose form and confidence (and even effort) if you’re confused and don’t know what you’re meant to be doing.

3 Likes

This is hugely important and cannot be underestimated. Better forward structure gives a better contest and ability to hold the ball in when we get it in there.

I know im the opposite but id be making daniher well aware that he isnt NEEDED in the forwardline, so what is HE going to do to force one of mckernan or brown out ??

Im by large a daniher fan and see he could be anything BUT he need to learn his role and play to it and cut out that bullshit playing for frees.

Mckernan and brown have shown its not about whos out there, its about creating a contest and fighting foe the ball and kicking straight.
All things he still needs to work on.

3 Likes

Honestly as competent as Brown has been, even a one legged Joe would be able to match his output.

I agree that the forwardline doesnt exactly need him there at the moment, and I agree with others who say that he must come back through VFL if he comes back at all this season, but Joe’s a much better mark and field kick than Brown, and much more creative. As soon as he shows he is fit and ready to go, I dont think there is much question.

The commentary around Joe playing for frees was only a slight murmur until this season, where his injuries I feel got inside his head. Im sure once he starts being able to run, get some separation from his opponent and able to use his leap once more, that the playing for frees will diminish.

I think it’s on the players. Hooker said it this morning on SEN that the Carlton loss was the low point that shifted the players mindset.

• Heppell’s leadership has gone to another level.
  • TBC has gone to another level.
  • The 3 S’s have successfully integrated into the collective.
  • Players are in good form (Myers) and if not, they’re dropped (Stewart).
  • Kids are given a go and are performing well, which as a byproduct enthuses the senior blokes.
  • Executing the game plan.
  • Players defending the ground better.
  • Game day belief / resilience
  • Speed Kills!
  • The coaches demeanour has changed - steely resolve.

Whatever it is I hope it keeps going!

9 Likes

Yep daniher is a more gifted player than brown no doubt.
Brown does seem to play the game smarter though and plays like a big kpp, instead of trying to play like fantasia like daniher does.

If daniher can show he can play HIS role, then yes obviously he gets picked before brown.

But this is where the perception needs to continue to change.
Just like the perception we’d lose so much run and carry with zaka being out.

To me , things seem to be working better atm because players are doing their bit and playing their role. Brown plays his role. He doesnt have to be a great field kick, we dont need that from him, we need him to be presenting all the time, being that link up player, when he does have to dispose of it we need him making smart choices which he is.
And id back him to do that above and beyond daniher.
Daniher will do the flashy stuff no doubt, and theres times thats obviously needed.
But thats pretty much all he has ,

What about THE ?

Played in 6 of our 7 wins
Played in 2 of our 7 losses
When he didn’t play we lost 5 out of 6

THE is also important.

1 Like

what about me?

watched all our wins till the end
turned off tv/ left stadium at 3/4 time for all our losses

seems pretty obvious, i stop watching and we lose.

3 Likes

Whoever told the team to stop shanking kicks, handballing to our feet and dropping marks is the real genius.

7 Likes

Word.

LOIKE

yep, THE is the definite article.

2 Likes

I don’t want to be overly modest, but it was me.

I told them they needed to tackle more.

4 Likes

Just building confidence over time. Shame it took until rock bottom for us to change to attack. But maybe the ‘nothing to lose’ element + finally playing the kids & having a faster forward line did the job. Not being ‘Daniher focussed’ in the forward movements has been good too.