Robert Shaw

Put yourself in the players shoes at the time, would you drop $100k a year because the CEO can't count?

Yes - This is what successful teams do every year.

They do it in the modern fully-professional era thanks to the object lesson we gave the entire league. Unfortunately we weren’t able to learn from our lesson before we gave it.

That episode saw a league wide hiatus on longer term contracts as well.

Though long term contracts are back in vogue - The wheel always turns.

Because contracts are no longer worth anything. We led the league in that as well.

Put yourself in the players shoes at the time, would you drop $100k a year because the CEO can't count?
If I'm on 600k and dropping to 500k means my mate keeps his job and we are more likely to achieve our objectives, yes I'd like to think so and plenty of teams have done so since
If I'm on 600k and dropping to 500k means my mate keeps his job and we are more likely to achieve our objectives, yes I'd like to think so and plenty of teams have done so since
Since being the operative word. Brisbane bears, the Cats (except GA Jnr) & the Hawk's (except Buddy) dynasties all learnt from our fast fall from grace. We wrote the book on how to fark up a strong team quickly & all the other teams learnt from our mistakes.
Since being the operative word. Brisbane bears, the Cats (except GA Jnr) & the Hawk's (except Buddy) dynasties all learnt from our fast fall from grace. We wrote the book on how to fark up a strong team quickly & all the other teams learnt from our mistakes.

Yep… both team admin and also players themselves. To see a team that should have been dominate over a longer period fall apart in the space of 12 months certainly helped solidify players thinking that $$ aren’t everything.

What is interesting is whether other players were approached in a group manner and told there was an alternative. Staggering to think the ‘soul’ was ripped out of club and no one thought to ask if 3-4 of the senior blokes would restructure their contracts to avoid the situation?

We also wrote and released very successful books:

• how to fark up a sports science program
  • how not to invest in your core business and build a war chest
  • how to spend your war chest when your core business is farked
  • head coach as head recruiter: the ugly truth
  • bend over and grab your ankles, or else…
  • when having absolutely no media strategy at all is the best strategy of all
  • extending a ■■■■ coaches contract to avoid speculation that your coach is ■■■■
  • how to tell when it is time to pay out a ■■■■ coach for dummies
  • getting in first: the toy stadium that was better than the best stadium in the world
  • it’s just a knock: injury management in the modern age
  • playing guys out of position: development and list management certificate 1
  • the forward pocket as centre half forward: revolutionising the forward entry
  • going in long and high: if it is broke, keep trying again and again
  • ruckmen, who needs them, with forward by grant Thomas
  • getting in touch with your inner ruckmen: equal opportunity and inclusion in modern football
  • how to make the wheels fall off in the second half of the season
  • letting the loose man in defense exploit your poor entries and sticking to your guns
  • priority picks: when not to exploit a loophole
  • forward or back: a modern tragedy
  • back or forward: hooker’s untold story
  • list cloggers: know when to hold em
  • screw the cake just give us the icing
  • Darcy parish: the light at the end of the tunnel

And many more :slight_smile:

We should go into publishing.

• extending a ■■■■ coaches contract to avoid speculation that your coach is ■■■■
  • getting in first: the toy stadium that was better than the best stadium in the world
  • getting in touch with your inner ruckmen: equal opportunity and inclusion in modern football
  • letting the loose man in defense exploit your poor entries and sticking to your guns

Hmm, perhaps I will pick up that bottle of scotch on the way home after all…

I have this vague memory of all this speculation when Hird’s contract was up for renewal that he was going to leave Essendon and join Melbourne, due to Melbourne’s offer being high at the time? I remember being worried at the time by the news reports, and even Hird made some dubious comments that sounded worrying, but eventually resigned with Essendon. This is a vague memory so might not be that accurate, but does anyone remember this occurring, possibly around 2002? (Unfortunately, it’s difficult to google search this for accuracy given the deluge that comes up now if you type James Hird in…)

I have this vague memory of all this speculation when Hird's contract was up for renewal that he was going to leave Essendon and join Melbourne, due to Melbourne's offer being high at the time? I remember being worried at the time by the news reports, and even Hird made some dubious comments that sounded worrying, but eventually resigned with Essendon. This is a vague memory so might not be that accurate, but does anyone remember this occurring, possibly around 2002? (Unfortunately, it's difficult to google search this for accuracy given the deluge that comes up now if you type James Hird in...)

I think that was in 1997-98 when Sheedy was under a lot of pressure, and Hird’s mate, Corcoran, had gone to Melbourne.

McMahon lied in his teeth when he said there was no player revolt against Sheeds. Far from what I was hearing at the time from players.

Wasn’t Hardwick also forced out due to the salary cap? I thought we pushed him in 2001.
And of course Moorcroft also left in 2002. I wonder why he didn’t get a mention by Shaw?

Jackson confirms this season will be his last (From EFC ) April 30, 2009 12:00 PM

Newsletter

Essendon Football Club managing director Peter Jackson today confirmed 2009 will be his final season with the Club.
Jackson has been at the helm of Essendon for the past 13 years, a period that has seen the Club develop into one of the most financially robust organisations in the competition.

The Club has also experienced great success on-field, winning the 2000 Premiership, playing in another Grand Final and appearing in the finals in eight of those 13 years.

I’m either ignorant here, or the Early onset andruska’s is kicking in.

Why is Jackson reviled?

mismanaged the salary cap and reduced spending on the Footy department which helped us secure our position off field but to the detriment of on field success.

We’ve had worse

You can add to that he was instrumental in moving us to Etihad. Because of course getting more money out of the members was more important than the ground condition, convenience for members or growing the membership base.
Pity a couple of players didn't renegotiate their contracts to keep the team together.

Have suffered ever since.

I think part of the problem was timing. By the time Jackson realised he’d screwed up, and they knew they had to let guys go, they were all on holiday etc. There was no time or capacity to organise something like this. So the issue wasn’t just that Jackson stuffed up, it was that he didn’t realise what he’d done until it was too late to fix it.

That said, I thought Hardwick was also forced out in 2001 due to the salary cap, so surely Jackson must have been aware of how close we were to the wind.

Lol. Nice work.

What a ■■■■ team we are.
Surprising anyone barracks for us, to be honest.
Never amount to anything.

Oh geez, how could I forget him. Best of the lot. That move stuffed us for years, morale-wise.

At his best Blumfield was the best of the 3 in my opinion. 98-2000 he was very very good, and could legitimately have won the norm Smith in 2000.

But he fell off a cliff very quickly.

(And was probably getting big $ because Sydney chased him big time at the end of about 98.)

What a ■■■■ team we are. Surprising anyone barracks for us, to be honest. Never amount to anything.

I’m surprised kids (these days) who don’t have a parent following essendon would follow us.

What a ■■■■ team we are. Surprising anyone barracks for us, to be honest. Never amount to anything.

Agreed. I don’t follow us at all.

Oh geez, how could I forget him. Best of the lot. That move stuffed us for years, morale-wise.

At his best Blumfield was the best of the 3 in my opinion. 98-2000 he was very very good, and could legitimately have won the norm Smith in 2000.

But he fell off a cliff very quickly.

(And was probably getting big $ because Sydney chased him big time at the end of about 98.)

He got injured. A knee, I think, from memory. Never really got over it.

Plus he was never the sort of player you build a team around. In a team that was pretty goog to begin with, and unbeatable for a while, he did some great things. In a lesser team he was not so good.

If we joined forces with Carlton and the Gold Coast we could be part of a publishing empire.

Justin Blumfield suffered a very serious quadriceps injury which included the detachment of ligaments from his femur - this was not that long after he arrived at Richmond and he never was the same player again. One of my favourites though.

The worst part about Heffernan, was that we inexplicably got him back.

Caracella still hurts, same as Hardwick after that.

Sh*t times…

Those three knocked me around a lot.

Caracalla, Blumfield, Heffernan, Hardwick and Moorcroft all shipped off to other clubs within 2 years of a flag. That hurt the club big time especially when you look at who was brought in to fill the gaps.

I remember commenting to a bloke at work that all 4 of those plus Alessio had better pull their socks up or they’d be vulnerable.

Still a massive screw-up though, but no way that Hirdy wasn’t copping his full whack. I don’t think he took much of a hit, not when 4 guys went to make way for his and Loydy’s higher pay.