Round 1 - Ess v Hawks - Sunday 19th March 2023 - 3.20pm @ the G - the buildup

Only 2 weeks now until the real stuff starts and by my count we have 11 players who are currently injured to varying degrees: Langford, Stringer, Guelfi, Heppell, Hobbs, Cox, Caldwell, Tsatas, Reid, Stewart & JDavey - maybe I’ve missed someone not sure…

On a positive note we have a new coach, new captain and a few new players - Setterfield, Weideman & Davey - who’ve all had pretty decent pre-seasons.
Also Langford, Stringer & Guelfi should be right for round 1 and we should see a line up something like this;-

Ridley Zerk Kelly
Redman Lav McGrath
Martin Merrett Durham
Langford Weideman ADavey
Stringer 2MP Menzie

Draper Setterfield Shiel

Bench: Perkins Parish Massimo Jones
SUB: Guelfi

Emergency: Snelling Baldwin Voss

Would be great to kick off the season with a win at the G - comon Bombers!

3 Likes

The Harley Reid cup.

9 Likes

Probably no other options til Reid and Cox are back but I can’t have BZT, Laverde and Kelly in the same team.

They are so poor with ball in hand.

3 Likes

I agree but like you say what are the other options - Baldwin maybe…??

He’d need a bit more of a go at it before in the vfl before I’m confident enough to bring him in as a defender.

Only started playing defence last week.

1 Like

It will be scrappy but we will win

Lav zerk Kelly
McGrath Rids Redman

Martin parish Durham
Draper Merrett setterfield

Perkins weed Davey
Walla 2mp voss

Mass Shiel Caldwell menzie

Sub: Snelling

3 Likes

McGrath BZT Kelly
Redman laverde Ridley
Martin setterfield Durham
Perkins weideman Davey
Menzie 2mp Voss
Draper parish Merrett

Shiel hind D’Ambrosio Jones
Sub.walla

1 Like

Ridley Lav Massimo

Redman Baldwin McGrath

Martin Merrett Durham

Perkins Weideman ADavey

Stringer 2MP Gwelfi

Draper Setterfield Shiel

Bench: Voss, Parish, Langford, Menzie
SUB: Kelly

Emergency: Snelling, Jones, BZT

4 Likes

I’d be surprised if Langford or Stringer are right for round 1

it will be high scoring as both defenses are a little weak.

our game plan is high ball to forwards but sicily and Jiath should be able to cover that.
need our small forwards to create troublesome matchups and force turnovers when hawks are leaving our forward line

Bring in Davey, Tippa is still underdone.

Menzies and Davey show!

Playing Rd 1 in the rednblack.
Ink it in.
Tattoo it on your arsse,
whatever, but he’s a bomber.

Maybe we have begun the tank!!

OH BOY, FERGUS GREENE WITH HIS 6TH DARCE!!!

6 Likes

If we play anything close to yesterday again we’ll be on the end of a 5 goal loss to a bottom few side.

Yeah unfortunately the team’s still developing and gelling together. Unless there’s more co-ordination between the backs, mids and forwards we’ll struggle to kick a decent score. Looks like the Dawks are about 12 months ahead of us.

1 Like

THATS 5 GOALS IN A ROW FOR THE HAWKS DARC

And then post game Brad will talk about how young and inexperienced,its going to take time etc

A month ago on here people were foolishly predicting that Round 1 would be a fairly easy assignment for us.

New season but same old wrong assumptions.

7 Likes

I feel like our supporters haven’t been broken down enough to be reprogrammed, if you are still thinking like that. Ofcourse it’s a young and experienced side who are playing in a different system.
This is a bottom out year and its not going to help if we jump on the coaches back after every bad loss.

7 Likes