Round 1 v Freo anticipation thread - empty stadium, roof open

You all know what we’re going to see - tight, frustrating game for three quarters, maybe even fall a goal or two behind early in the second half to the groans of the crowd.

Then we put 25 minutes of footy together and win by 10-20 points despite getting out to a five goal lead in time on of the final term before three freo junktime goals.

Then we ■■■■ the bed against Sydney and completely befoul ourselves against Carlton. Upset GWS in a stinker at Etihad then lose to Collingwood and Adelaide.

2-4!

4 Likes

Per the username, I’m assuming it was not a typo when you failed to write “disappointed”.

3 Likes

There is just so much inevitability about this post. Its the groundhog day nightmare of the last 15 years.

1 Like

Lol. *it would be.

Stars and youth shine in intraclub

Freo’s All Australians stood out, with Fyfe dominating the clearances and, while going goalless, played as a strong contested mark up front with a number of goal assists.
As well as an impressive midfield effort, Walters led the scoring with five goals. His fitness showed as he stood out late in the game as temperatures reached the high 30s.
There were six other multiple goal scorers. Matthew Taberner kicked two for White, while Travis Colyer, Adam Cerra, Lachie Schultz and Brandon Matera kicked one each for both teams.
Stephen Hill looked to be getting back to his best after an injury interrupted 2019, and while he played on limited minutes, he impacted the game well from half back.
After training as a back all pre-season, Brennan Cox had some good moments in the backline for Purple, playing on the likes of Rory Lobb and Taberner as he looks to build for a round one spot.
A late pick for Freo in the 2019 draft, winger Michael Frederick appeared to be a revelation, taking on the game at numerous times as he dodged and weaved to get the ball out of traffic.
Top-10 draft picks Hayden Young and Caleb Serong also looked like they belonged at the top level. Young’s kicking was excellent at times coming out of half back as well as inside 50, while Serong looked composed when he moved into the midfield and showed off some impressive delivery to the forwards.

I’ve never seen the media and footy fans so savage on us during a pre-season. It’s actually quite a nice change.

I reckon we’ll surprise quite a few.

2 Likes

Last years round 1 was pathetic.

1 Like

Someone correct me if I’m mistaken, but I don’t believe anyone has mentioned Walters “flopping around like a fish” ?

Seriously, what’s wrong with you Blitz :warning:

1 Like

Might boo him

We’ll be 5 goals ahead half way thru the last and cruising to a comfortable victory, then Redman will lay a finger nail on him around the shoulder region, Walters then proceeds to throw his head back like he’s been shot at close range.

The dumbarse ump falls for it, he gets the goal, then they kick another soon after and we are biting our nails till the end of the game.

I proceed to swear all the way back to the car, thus setting a very poor example to my 16yo.
It would be kinda funny, if it wasn’t true :frowning:

4 Likes

Before I wager my hard-earned on the Bombers to win this game, can I have an update on whether Taberner will play round 1?

If Tabs does play you can put him down for at least 3.

That was a shocker but compared to the next one when Hurley slightly touched Hogan (in a non-marking contest) in the goal-square, it was magnificent umpiring.

2 Likes

“…Walters then proceeds to throw his head back like he’s been shot at close range…”.

Time to dust off the thread

1 Like

Absolutely no chance

No backline!

This should be a flogging if we want to be taken serious but i’m expecting 2-3 goal win.

We can win ‘em all by a point as far as I’m concerned.

4 Likes

I’d like to survive to see the end of the season Wimm. I’m not sure my heart would survive.

6 Likes

Round 1 is always so unpredictable game could go either way.

All I know is I will absolutely be ropeable if we are as underdone this year as last. We lost it in the preseason last year.

1 Like

Who knows until the side is announced. And even then…