Round 1 v Greater Western Sheedy - anticipation thread

If you had told me that four years ago, I would have thought it was par for the course.

2 Likes

I think Parish not being selected puts just as much pressure on those mids picked as it puts on him. Has to be good for the team.

3 Likes

I am a LID-ONNER, but Kelly missing has changed my expectation for this match. I feel we should win.

It’s because of our midfield. Put our biggest, best, and most experienced players back on rotation at centre clearances (TBC, Heppell, Merrett, Shiel, Myers, Smith, Stringer, Tippa), and they really should get the job done.

Now, it’s based a bit on hope - because during JLT, these more experienced players weren’t going flat-out IMO, they were doing limited minutes on the wings etc (whereas I think Parish/Langford were given the spotlight, and they performed poorly, and it has cost Parish his spot).

PS. As an aside…going back a few of years, when GWS had an extended list, it seemed to me that they could put out 22 players that were supreme athletes, with great skills etc…then one day, I saw Harry Perryman, and I felt it was a turning point. I thought “You’re too plodding to be a GWS player”. The reality was that their list had changed by then, with quality flowing out to other teams etc…Harry Perryman is playing against us…maybe I need to see more of him, but this is my current prejudice.

4 Likes

Parish not being in the team is a coaching failure IMHO. There were plenty of calls that his training has improved and ‘the penny had dropped’ only to get minimal game time and even less midfield time in the JLT.

If you want to put pressure on the players in the 22 and had him out prior to JLT then they should have put him as the primary midfield workhorse in the JLT and seen what happened.

Instead it appears the coaches are either sending him a message, something has happened or he has some serious issues in his game I can’t see. Because when he is played as a midfielder he is a clearance weapon.

1 Like

sack skipworth, only hes allowed to be an under performing midfielder/hff.

If Darcy is not up to it fair enough…
But plying Myers cause he’s a big body is a poor excuse, let’s see what happens.

Does anyone know which players GWS left out from its extended bench? All the sites I’m looking up are still showing the 26 man squad.

They’re rubbish, or they always get selected?

Or both?

EMG: ■■■■■■■, Flynn, Buntine, Hately

Edit: lol at the first guys name being filtered.

3 Likes

I hope we win the sheddy cup

29c with nearly 70% humidity. Boys will lose a few kgs

I’m not a Myers fan, and I’d play Parish over him any day of the week. But I’d rather Guelfi as a utility.

I really like the balance of this side. It will get better as the year goes on, but I reckon this team will be able to deliver the “tough but fast” footy that served us so well in the back half of last season.

Had 70% TOG week 1. Dropped to 40% week 2.

Either he did some stuff week 1 the club didn’t like week 1 or maybe they were managing his load?

Maybe they should get ■■■■■■■ to manage his load.

1 Like

Ward, Kelly, Patton, Mumford out + Lobb and Shiel at new clubs

We should go in favourites

(Edit: That said I have no confidence that we are second half of the year Essendon and not first half of the year essington)

2 Likes

I assume that says ■■■■■■■

FFS. Might it be the opposite of “going”? This is ridiculous if so.

2 Likes

Didn’t you answer your own question in the last bit?

2 Likes

So you don’t think we should be favourites then.

1 Like

No idea where this thread is up to, but in response to the Parrish playing 2s situation. Blake Caracella played 2s at the start of 2000. Just saying…

5 Likes