B: Saad Ambrose Francis
HB: Heppell© Hurley McKenna
C: McGrath Myers Zaharakis
HF: Smith Brown Stringer
F: Tippa McKernan Fantasia
R: Bellchambers Merrett Shiel
INT: Langford Parish Laverde Ridley
Emerg Guelfi Baguely Z Clarke

After listening to lunchtime catchup it seems as though we have a lot of inside guys and they all cant be on the pine (Myers, Langford, Parish). Heppell to defence as the backline General in the Goddard/Hodge Role frees up Langford/Parish/Myers more time in the middle also with shiel there. Plus still have the option of Heppell having some minutes in midfield when Ridleys back there.
Ridley 7th Defender, Laverde 7th forward
Langford/Parish 7/8th Midfielders think we have to trust these guys.

Feel club will have Z Clarke as emergency backup, although i would prefer Draper.

Guelfi is stiff to miss line ball between him and Parish and Laverde who misses out.

Myers in the guts first to take the heat out of the game, then langford and parish get there chance.

4 Likes

David Kings opinion ( radio interview) is that the future of GWS this season ( and this particularly applies to the game vs us also ) is dependent on whether Hopper and Taranto can step up and fill the void. He views the GWS midfield as relatively weak.

Thats the way I see it also. They actually don’t even have a mid above 190cm. We have Myers Stringer and Langford. This is a massive strength for us when we have ruck dominance.

I expect us to win the midfield battle based on size, depth and experience in there.

3 Likes

I think the round one side will look like this.

3 Likes

Yeah but they have Kelly and Coniglio, who are both better than any midfielder on our list.

1 Like

I disagree that Hepp will just be having some minutes in the midfield. He was our main clearance player last season. He’ll be playing most of his time in the guts. Other than that i agree with everything you’ve said. The team looks right.

1 Like

Gonna give away some free kicks…

4 Likes

I can cope with that.

They both played last year when we gave them a hiding.

1 Like

Said nobody ever on Blitz.

6 Likes

Two players can’t carry the whole team

We’d overrun them based on keeping our key kids fresher with the rotations we have. The quality of which is much better than theirs.

And also Kelly hasn’t played 1 minute of preseason games. If he even gets up will be underdone.

We also beat them last year with all of Kelly, Coniglio, Ward & Shiel playing. They couldn’t get near it in last quarter.

We seem to constantly lose the free kick count and this is almost guaranteed to be the case again on Sunday.

Do we have a team mostly made up of dumb footballers who don’t have the footy smarts to draw free kicks?

The Geelong JLT certainly demonstrated this with Baguley and Smith giving away frees for breaching new rules. Seems both didn’t know they existed

Is today a main session? Surely there are one or two more injuries concerns heading into round 1 knowing the way that this pre-season has panned out for us

Yeah I understand that, and I think we’ll win. I just think in a comparison of midfields it’s important to remember they have the best two in the contest. And Taranto is going to be very good as well.

Wait a min, we actually have big-bodied mids!?

One A Grade inside mid one A grade Outside player. Yes that’s good, but we have a much better depth and spread of quality and we have enough Big Body mids to have one at every centre bounce and stoppage.

Which is a start, but irrelevant if you’ve got big weak points in your depth/rotation.

Geelong have 2 or 3 mids better than almost anyone.
And they’re just OK.

King and chris are, in this case, correct.

1 Like

We do, its unfortunate that they are not Cripps or Fyffe

1 Like

I reckon GWSs mids are still underrated, even with the loss of Shiel (Taranto, Hopper, Ward are all excellent, even putting Conigs and Kelly to one side) And I reckon we tend to overrate our mids. But I hope you’re right and we smash them.

1 Like

Also on ruck dominance, why do we expect to dominate the ruck in this game? Simpson was pretty serviceable last year and TB is coming off very little pre season

1 Like

Ward is out injured and Hopper has glandular fever issues that affected his preseason.