Round 13: Essendon vs Melbourne changes and discussion

Unleash Orazio....

If Hocking and Fletcher aren't fit, I'd play NOB as a tagger and bring in Kavanagh, moving Heppell back.

You'd move our best inside midfielder away from midfield?  Wow!

Pazza must not have been quoted much in the past week, so he thought he'd throw in a pearler.
If Heppell plays predominantly HB this week, after we lost arguably the best inside mid in the comp for a few weeks, then I'll start barracking for Carlton (for reals).

Unleash Orazio....

THIS

reckon mcdonald is pretty good match up for jd

but he's old and he had a farm

Is Fletcher injured?

Out: Watson, Myers, (Fletcher)

In: NOB, Kavanagh, (Steinberg)

Maybe Leroy or Trav for Kav if we need more experience.

Fkd if I know. But if we could get Stein and Dell in the same side that'd be sweet thanks.

Pears before Steinberg, come on.

Fit players before those on the (official!) injury list, come on.

If Hocking and Fletcher aren't fit, I'd play NOB as a tagger and bring in Kavanagh, moving Heppell back.

And play him on Chris Dawes?

Aylett anyone? A month ago he had overtaken NOB and Kav?

Hooker on Dawes.

Hibberd on Watts.

Heppell to provide drive off HBF.

Hooker on Dawes.

Hibberd on Watts.

Heppell to provide drive off HBF.

Seriously, what drive is Heppell going to provide off halfback?  He's got no pace and his kick isn't exactly penetrating.  Just because he started his career there doesn't mean he's suited to playing there now.

Bellchambers plays. He’s keeping a defender in the goalsquare who would otherwise playing loose. Ambrose runs another tallish defender down the ground. Joe d gets one on ones.

Bellys ruck time is also important and allows ryder to go forward and sneak a couple of marks on defenders not used to covering his speed amd agility.

Belly is fiding his form and fitness at afl level and being a asset to the team. Why would you change that?

Watson and Fletcher out, maybe Hocking and Zaharakis (massaging his hamstring after the game) but have eight days to recover.  Myers will go.  Umpires and MRP don't like raised elbows as there was intent even though he did catch the player first on the arm before his head.  The GWS player milked it all he could.  Is Myers carrying carry over points?

Even with our best side in we struggle against Melbourne.  Unless we come out with a different mind set different to last Saturday night, we will be beaten.  Then come the Crows, Cats and Port.  2014 is looking pretty glum unless the team can start to play like they did against North in Round 1 and Richmond in Round 11.  I fear the worse as the 2014 team reared its ugly head against GWS.  As someone else has written, maybe the side on Sunday will be an indication of the future talent at the club.

Steinberg has been one of the best in the VFL playing down back.  Maybe he deserves another go.  How is this for a very "unconventional" line up, presuming Hocking and Zac are fit.

B.   Baguley  Carlisle  Steinberg

HB  Dempsey  Hooker  Hibberd

C    Stanton  Hurley Heppell

HF  Ambrose  Bellchambers  Howlett

F    Winderlich  Daniher  Z.Merrett

R    Rhyder  Goddard  Zaharkis

I     Chapman  Aylett  Melksham  Sub Dell'Olio

Why Hurley in the centre?  Think about it.  He is good both offensively and defensively, roughly the same build as Jobe, is a good mark and kick and is pretty quick on the lead.  Everyone will laugh, but sometimes the unusual and something Melbourne wouldn't expect comes off and pays dividends.

All the following are injured:  Watson Fletcher Pears, Ashby, Gleeson Hardingham J Merrett .  Chapman looks tired and slow.  Maybe Scott at Geelong made the right call over Chappy? 

What if Hocking and Zac don't come up and Myers is suspended, what sort of a side might we expect next Sunday?

B    Baguley   Carlisle   Hurley

HB  Dempsey  Hooker  Hibberd

C    Stanton     Goddard  Ambrose

HF  Chapman  Bellchambers  Aylett

F     Winderlich  Daniher  Z Merrett

R    Rhyder  Heppell  Howlett

I      Melksham  Kavanagh Dell'Olio Sub. Steinberg

Pity Jetta doesn't pull his finger out.  He is a very disappointing player over the last two years.  Maybe Edwards is worth a try instead of Dell'Olio or Steinberg.  What we really need is pace injected into the side.  We are either too slow or look disinterested.  Hard to fathom out what is going on.  Is the ASADA concerns worrying them or they are just a very ordinary team with few A graders and a lot of B and C grade players on the list?

Sorry.  First team named has left Hocking out and Hurley in the back pocket and Goddard taking over Jode's role in the centre  Goddard should also be captain.  The side now should be:

B     Baugley  Calisle  Hurley

HB   Dempsey  Hooker  Hibberd

C     Stanton  Goddard Heppell

HF   Ambrose Bellchambers Howlett

F     Winderlich Daniher Z Merrett

R     Rhyder  Hocking Zaharakis

I       Chapman Aylett Melksham  Sub Steinberg

Pears hasn't played VFL in a month

Hurley has apparently already ruled out so he won't be coming in.

Where did you hear this?

Where did you hear this?

Been mentioned on Twitter

Hmmm some let's say 'interesting' ideas in this thread!

My take is I wouldn't play Hurley in the centre as he hasn't played midfield since under 9s.  And I wouldn't play Heppell on the HBF as he's our best midfielder now that Jobe is out.

Really wish Jackson Merrett wasn't injured he would be ideal to step into the side in the next few weeks.