Round 13: Essendon vs Melbourne changes and discussion

Been watching Ambrose. After Hawthorn his game was off, but here are signs the last 2 weeks that his decision making is improving and he even took a contested mark last night. Maybe it takes a while to feel at ease, not be panicked and make good decisions and execute well. There are signs he is doing this. He is a much more robust unit than Zerret but not as skilled. Hes slowly getting there and definitely plays for the team. However, he's still on the edge maybe an out this week ? I think the coaches like his hardness. Wadayareckon?

Is he meant to be a 3rd tall up fwd? Cause sorry I don't see that in him.
Has not kicked a goal in the past 4 games.

Well he did not directly impact the scoreboard last night but he was a bit under the radar.  3 contested marks  no clangers, 18 possessions.   Not disgraced in general play,  but you are right .... no goals ,  none since hawthorn.    I did see Joe Danaher flying about 1 metre above him in several pack marking duals.

Myers has been reported so whether he plays next week remains to be seen.  Fletch and Jobe injured?  Gleeson, Merrett, injured.  Goddard seemed to be a very angry man last night, what's the story????

We really need TNT up our backsides to get a good start and we need to turn up to play.  Otherwise, Melbourne will take our scalp yet again.  Roo'sy will have them primed and ready for a full frontal attack.  If we play the way we did tonight, we are done before we begin.

Our basic skills and disposal were not up to par.   Zaharakis may have got plenty of the ball but along with Melksham and several others, their disposal was often to the opposition or to  a player who was surrounded by the opposition.

Far too many turnovers.  We need to sharpen up.  Also kicking in front of goal - appalling. 

Maybe our new motto ought to be, Come to play or go home.

Having some young guys in the team against melbourne might be a blessing, especially because they are struggling for a spot and need to play hard to try and hold it.

Time for melk to step up this week, has in the past in Jobe’s absence. Actually thought his work in the contest was alright last night but he is still a little off the pace and slow with his decision making

so, based on posts on blitz at least, it appears Watson, Fletcher are definite outs (has the extent of either injury been confirmed?),  Hocking doubtful (rolled an ankle, usually 1 week),  Myers may go for the elbow, and Goddard and Zaka both apparently pulled up lame and may not play???   Is there anyone I missed?!!

so, based on posts on blitz at least, it appears Watson, Fletcher are definite outs (has the extent of either injury been confirmed?), Hocking doubtful (rolled an ankle, usually 1 week), Myers may go for the elbow, and Goddard and Zaka both apparently pulled up lame and may not play??? Is there anyone I missed?!!

Bomber has a virus so the whole club will have it this week. We'll probably have to forfeit

saw them all this morning at Sydney airport and apart from jobe and budda(who were both noticeably limping)  even else seemed to be in a happy place

It needs to be recorded here that the Dees will have 2 days less to recover and prepare. 

Last year

Essendon 28 16 184

Melbourne 5 6 36

Last year

Essendon 28 16 184

Melbourne 5 6 36

do you want to dig up the previous 2 years scores against Melb ?? guess not

Belly stays in, he is a necessary evil atm. As others have said he limitis Daniher or Carlisle having to go into the ruck. Just need to find a way to limit him being a liability when forward.

Ambrose stays too. Isn't kicking goals atm and that will hopefully come, but atm he is doing the grunt work of the forwardline. Is getting 18 odd possies a game the last 2 weeks, which is rare for our forwardline, still learning does his defensive work plus covers for others. Wish people would stop limiting their views of players worth to stats, or forwards as goals.

If Hocking and Fletcher aren't fit, I'd play NOB as a tagger and bring in Kavanagh, moving Heppell back.

If Hocking and Fletcher aren't fit, I'd play NOB as a tagger and bring in Kavanagh, moving Heppell back.

Play Melksham as a tagger, he seems to thrive when given a directive.

You'd move our best inside midfielder away from midfield?  Wow!

In: Hurley, Winderlich, Accuracy

Out: Watson, Fletcher, Over handling the ball
Get a peek at the next 10 years of our club this week.

IN: Hurley, Winderlich

OUT: Fletch, Watson.

Hurley and Carlisle both down back.

You'd move our best midfielder out of the midfield?

Joe to kick 4.

.....behinds

Joe to kick 4.

.....behinds

Does Melbourne even have 4 guys to rotate through him? I guess you‘ll try anything when Joeymania is running wild all over you.

reckon mcdonald is pretty good match up for jd