Round 18 vs Footscray @ Windy Hill, 12 Noon Saturday 19 August 2017

Stanton and Langford easily best on. Mutch limped off slowly in the 3rd but played the game out really well. Redman and Riddler had a few great highlights. Really like Redmans attack on the man and 2nd efforts. Good day at the footy!

6 Likes

Mutch reminds me a lot of Macrae from the bulldogs. Very balanced midfield game and works hard defensively.
Doesn’t do a lot wrong.

1 Like

Was out at a place beyond the Black Stump called Garfield watching the Neph play for a finals berth. Farking freezing as Windy Hill, and crap phone signal, … and then as DJ mentioned blitz seemed to freeze along with my agates, … and we were 5 points up and just minutes left and… nothing for 10 minutes until I got the last few posts and the good news.

Well done Donz, … and thankyou once again Dave. Beers on me post Freo :wink:

2 Likes

Jesus really, McRae is a rolls-royce and although Mutch shows some promise he is a pretty blue collar type

Imagine how he’d go if we knew how to develop players in our VFL incubator eh??

Thanks for the wrap up guys. Keep em coming.

As Koby puts on some muscle do you see him playing as an inside mid?

1 Like

I do. He’s good in heavy traffic and a bit slow for a pure outside mid anyway.

3 Likes

We sit 5th on the live vfl ladder with two games to be played tomorrow to complete the round.

I don’t see Macrae as a Rolls Royce. He’s more polished certainly and has a side step that Koby doesn’t but he’s very Mutch a great cog in the chain type of player who will hurt you over four quarters with a terrific work rate and good but not elite disposal which is the similarity that I can see. Not suggesting he is going to reach anywhere near Macrae’s level, but there’s a similar approach in the way they play IMO.

2 Likes

Has that look to me.

1 Like

Fair enough and Rolls-Royce is going too far. I see McRae as a very creative, reasonably offensive minded mid. Generally a good user, good tank, decent contested player but more of a link man maybe it’s simply that he is a genuinely very good player and Mutch is yet to play a game that I struggle with the this guy reminds me of this guy stuff. Not directed at you specifically. It’s obviously early days for Mutch (and I think he has had a really good 1st year) but he doesn’t seem a naturally creative player, although he can kick both feet I don’t think he is particular good off either. He finds the ball and I think his contested side is pretty good. Because of his lack of pace I think his best chance is to bulk up and play as a genuine inside player.

Yeah generally not a fan of the comparisons to other players either. Especially when it’s a hair cut or skin color alone drawing the the moron commentator into saying it. Definitely agree with you on those points regarding speed/creativity.
An inside player who can offer some spread and defensive run would be very handy nonetheless.
Lets hope its two from two today!

1 Like

Last years draft will go down as one of the best in the clubs history. McGrath the deadset gun, Begley the steal, Ridley will be outstanding, Mutch will be a long term consistent player and Clarke will get every drop out of himself. The surprise packet will be Draper, a project that will turn into a mainstay.

7 Likes

Plus Jimmy Stewart for peanuts in trade period

1 Like

Stats are up.

Disposals pretty even. We had a lot more marks, probably mostly in the back half. Hitouts lost 34-49, inside fifties lost 44-60!

We won the tackles 74-53. A couple of them were even paid.

In Dreamteam order, and only listing key VFL contributions:

• Langford — 18 kicks, 12 handballs, 8 marks, 7 tackles, 5 rebound fifties, 4 inside fifties, and scored 2.1
  • Stanton — 27 kicks and 3 (!) handballs, 12 marks
  • Nobby — 23+17, 9 marks and 0 tackles (Lil was the only other to get zero tackles)
  • Hind — 19+4, 6 tackles
  • Mutch — 18+9
  • Younan — 10+3, 1.2, and game-leading 8 tackles
  • Ridley — 12+6, 10 marks, 1.1
  • Long — 6+8 and 2.0
  • Clarke — 7+10
  • Dea — 13+3
  • Draper — 4+4, 33 of our 34 hitouts (Campbell had 35, beanpole English 13)
  • Brown — 12+4
  • Redman — 8+6
  • Hocking — 7+2 and 2.0 (in 7 minutes less than three quarters)
  • Morgan — 8+2 (gee, they must have been quality!)
4 Likes

Is Bueno . :sunglasses:

not to mention the blind turns and the unselfish centering pass off to Long for goal.

Yeah agreed on Mutch’s kicking above. I’m hoping he’s an inside mid and has the craft required because he seems very slow and although he has that two-footedness as a weapon I’ve also noticed that he doesn’t seem like he has the ability to be really damaging on either.

Looks like we’ll play Footscray in an elimination final. 4th and 5th ain’t losing to the bottom sides.