Round 19 - Elimination Final v Bulldogs

because irony is fun, isn’t it?!

2 Likes

An opinion is really just what someone ‘feels’ about a situation, do I guess they are all out, too. Not sure ‘irony’ is right, more like hypocrisy.

If, like Adelaide, we’d been smacked by Norf we’d be talked up more?

You’re all correct. I do enjoy being a grumpy c*nt.

17 Likes

Wait you’re just working this out now?

1 Like

Never go full Noonan

4 Likes

Seen a few Doggies games.
They are worse than last year
(PS tipped them for the flag before their Weagles final - still basking in that one)
Specifically their forward line is not functioning anywhere near as well - less movement on the rebound entries, less space for forwards to take advantage of one on ones, both a mixture of form decline and injuries
Their contested ball work is also down on quality. Except for the Bont, they seem unable to win clear possession from repeat contests - they were superb at this last year. At their best they still throw repeat bodies at the contest but instead of eventually finding an outside option with time, this year their kicks and handballs forward are rushed and scrappy.
This could be that other teams have worked them out better - keep a man back on the defensive side of the contest to pressure the Doggies deliverer, knowing there is a good chance a turnover will result.

2 Likes

Yep, that’s about it. If they bring the intensity and intent that was brought to the Ports and Saints game , then we should win. But that’s the million dollar question with us and hence all the talk about consistency. As was pointed out by Scot Locus, the takeaway from the North game is what Essendon does to combat opposition tactics that attempt to nullify our running game.

I’m hoping that Ambrose is able get to form quickly. Hartley has been good, but at times I felt he has been exposed by mobile forwards (as per the Brisbane game). When the midfield defence is working and teams are forced to bomb the ball in quickly Hartley looks far more comfortable (he is an excellent mark). Against Brisbane and North the opposition was able to turn him around or spot up leads. That’s when he starts scragging and holding and getting free kick paid against him.

I’m not suggesting Hartley get summarily dropped when Ambrose is up and going, just that team selection at times should be a “horses for courses” affair.

2 Likes

The Dogs ruck division is well below average, the clearance numbers are just slightly above ours, their forward line is not going well at all, but they are a strong contested ball side around the ground.
On the other hand, we are a much more "uncontested " side, once we get the ball. Keep that attribute, match them in the contest and find our outside runners, we should win.

Problem is, from this point on, every game is season defining. One slip, and we are on the edge, 2 slips and lets start seriously planning for 2018-9 because 2017 would be over.

1 Like

I feel like the Dogs are just starting to get it together. No proof, just a feeling I have.

This worries me greatly.

Hi Noons

4 Likes

They have something to prove over the last rounds of the season.

ideally (for them) they’d be breathing fire. I think we need to weather the storm and kick on. I don’t think we can jump them.

I feel you

1 Like

I think Hartley goes out for Ambrose this week. Harts has no obvious matchup given their small forward line. I think they will bring Cloke in and Ambrose will blanket him and do a better job matching him for strength.

2 Likes

Their clearance numbers are down because they can’t play a 3rd man up in the ruck.

That rule change has killed them as Roughhead/Campbell wouldn’t simply neutralise the opposition ruckman whilst a Lin Jong or Bontempelli would go 3rd man up and hit the ball clear of the stoppage so their smaller bodied mids like Dalhaus and Daniels could swoop on the loose ball.

4 Likes

Cloke also has a decent tank - as does Ambrose.

I think Hartley is a good match up for Cloke and deserves to stay in anyway.
I think Hurls may get Bont when he is forward.
As mentioned Kelly looks tired but I would rest him the following week against Carlton after a 6 day break.
So, no changes for mine.

1 Like

Not sure about the calls for Ambrose to come in, has played his first game last week since April. Play it safe and give him another week. Thats just far too much footy missed

6 Likes

He was fully cleared “load” wise and played out the full game. He’s no AA/Veteran of x amount of years but he’s a classy player and we should pick him if we think he’ll be better than Hartley. I personally do but… it’s just a feeling I have, no reason to back it up.

4 Likes

Start getting Ambrose back up to scratch, as much as I love Hartley we can’t have him falling over in the last qtr against players like Buddy and Hipwood during the finals and costing us goals.

It’s the weirdest and worst trait that he only does in the last qtr, that sometimes when he loses the marking contest he just goes to ground, and his player turns and runs off for a free kick for goal or into the 50.