Round 19 Essendon vs Sydney: Changes, Discussion, Match-ups, etc

I think we have a chance. Remember last game Sydney got off to a flying start and couldnt miss, the umpires also handed them 4-6 goals. We started coming back in the 3rd? quarter and got our mojo back before the umpire was 'knocked out' and had to be stretchered off which completely halted our run and ended the game.

Out: Daniher (shoulder), J. Merrett (omitted)

In: Hardingham, Jetta

B: Baguley, Hurley, Fletcher

HB: Dempsey, Hooker, Winderlich

C: Hibberd, Heppell, Stanton

HF: Goddard, Ambrose, Zaharakis

F: Hardingham, Carlisle, Chapman

R: Ryder, Hocking, Howlett

Int: Z. Merrett, Colyer, Myers

Sub: Jetta

Emerg: Kavanagh, O'Brien, Dell'Olio

O'brien gets a crack before Jetta IMO

Why Dell over Jetta?

Dell- tackles stick Jetta-slips off

Dell-goes for goal' when within 50. Jetta-looks to pass then changes his mind twice before whatever happens

Dell-has a chance to stay on the list. Jetta is half packed.

Dell-computes. Jetta refutes.

Oh Pazza!!!
Daniher is already out! :lol:

I don't think Tippett will get up. Or if he does going to be severely limited/ no fitness base with this knee issue, first had a torn meniscus and has since moved to bone bruising.    He is a massive unit and it would be causing plenty of discomfort. 

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-07-23/docs-diagnosis-round-18-part-two

I think we have a chance. Remember last game Sydney got off to a flying start and couldnt miss, the umpires also handed them 4-6 goals. We started coming back in the 3rd? quarter and got our mojo back before the umpire was 'knocked out' and had to be stretchered off which completely halted our run and ended the game.

I'd forgotten the details. Was horrendous, nothing went our way at all. Not sure it will be much different at the SCG, but like I said before the Port game, when there's absolutely no good reason that we should win we often do (or at least come close).

If we match up well and kick more goals than the swans it's a win win!

Will be tough against Sydney's midfield but we need to win it out of the middle and get it to Carlisle quickly as the Swans will try to double team Carlisle. In this form Carlisle could probably beat 3 opponents but the Swans are better than most.

Ambrose needs to play a bigger role and be dangerous. Ryder also needs to sneak forward at every opportunity to provide a target. I would think about starting Del because we will need crumbers. Zac will be important.

No to Leroy. Trains very poorly, just goes about it as if he does not care less, a bit like that skinny sticks Gregory bloke.  He has no regard or understanding of the team game.  Yes he's a good VFL player and I like to watch his natural talent when he has a lucky burst but it does not translate to what we need at AFL level.  Jerrett actually buys into the strategy and sometimes struggles with execution but he will get there unlike Leroy. It's a pity because both Leroy and his good mate Paddy have been tested by Bomba this year and the results couldn't be more evident.

I remember when Jetta burst onto the scene at the start of 2007. After a diabolical season in 2006, the Bombers bought in Davey and Jetta into the forward line. Comfortably beat the Crows in Round 1, the prelim finalists Freo in Rnd 2 and started on fire vs Carlscum in Rnd 3. I remember friends of opposition teams saying to me "who is this Jetta guy? Where did he come from?". He really did make an notable impact (along with Davey) very early in his career, but sadly he's dropped right away. He was one of the reasons we were in fact in the Top 4 at the half way point of 2007 (hard to believe that we were).

I felt at the time (and still feel) that our loss to Geelong that year, where the game was neck and neck until 3QT but we had 3 or 4 go down with injuries during the game (including Hird and Davey) and we ended up losing by 8 goals, ended up costing Sheeds' his job and our spot in the finals. 

Geez I hope it's not raining.

There is a chance they'll have Hannebery, Shaw and Tippett in.

That would make them full strength and farking scary.

We'd have to pull off some serious Voltron shiiiit to get over the line.

No to Leroy. Trains very poorly, just goes about it as if he does not care less, a bit like that skinny sticks Gregory bloke.  He has no regard or understanding of the team game.  Yes he's a good VFL player and I like to watch his natural talent when he has a lucky burst but it does not translate to what we need at AFL level.  Jerrett actually buys into the strategy and sometimes struggles with execution but he will get there unlike Leroy. It's a pity because both Leroy and his good mate Paddy have been tested by Bomba this year and the results couldn't be more evident.

I remember when Jetta burst onto the scene at the start of 2007. After a diabolical season in 2006, the Bombers bought in Davey and Jetta into the forward line. Comfortably beat the Crows in Round 1, the prelim finalists Freo in Rnd 2 and started on fire vs Carlscum in Rnd 3. I remember friends of opposition teams saying to me "who is this Jetta guy? Where did he come from?". He really did make an notable impact (along with Davey) very early in his career, but sadly he's dropped right away. He was one of the reasons we were in fact in the Top 4 at the half way point of 2007 (hard to believe that we were).

I felt at the time (and still feel) that our loss to Geelong that year, where the game was neck and neck until 3QT but we had 3 or 4 go down with injuries during the game (including Hird and Davey) and we ended up losing by 8 goals, ended up costing Sheeds' his job and our spot in the finals. 

rose coloured classes. yes we were in that game up to our eyeballs until we suffered those injuries. Equally we had had fortunate close wins against tigers, swans, WC  and melbourne. we were no where near top 4 that year and were playing with a list that was going nowhere. sheedy had topped up repeatedly over the last 3 years in the hope that the cream on the list (hird fletch lucas lloyd) would be enough to be seriously competitive. it wasn't and all we achieved was avoiding spoons and a serious rebuild. our midfield was pretty much hird, watson, stanton and peveril with cameos from welsh, JJ, licha,  and mcveigh.

we were embarrassed later in the year on several occasions and the hird/sheedy send off night against the tigers remains one of the darkest nights for the club since the 70s IMO

sheedy wasn't playing watson and  the list balance was awful, it was time to move on.

Oh Pazza!!!
Daniher is already out! :lol:

I think he was using the team prior to the late change as Dell is an emergency.

Will be tough against Sydney's midfield but we need to win it out of the middle and get it to Carlisle quickly as the Swans will try to double team Carlisle. In this form Carlisle could probably beat 3 opponents but the Swans are better than most.

Ambrose needs to play a bigger role and be dangerous. Ryder also needs to sneak forward at every opportunity to provide a target. I would think about starting Del because we will need crumbers. Zac will be important.

Zac, Delgoalio, Trav and Chappy all swarming around Calisle's toes.

Who did we have missing the last time we played them?

As a sydney based bombers member the biggest fear i have of this game is the swans supporters.

Never have i experienced a bigger bunch of uninformed delusional latte sipping supporters then this lot!

Swans supporters ask me why i dont support them i  reply well essendon was actually in the VFL before your ■■■■■ team was imported to sydney,with this they still dont understand!

Ill be sitting in the bombers away area wearing a black +  red titleist golf beanie if anyone wants to say hello.

And if we dont pick up the swans  loose man behind the stoppage i may lose it!

What we want, is for it to be a mudderfewkin brawlin smash-up against the hawks, with plenty of injuries, and a narrow win to Sydney. 

It will be a tough one for us. Theoretically, if both our teams play to their best, with the available players - we won't get up. We will need to bring our a-game from the start, and they will need to misfire a bit. I would put Hurley on Buddy / Hooker to Tippet / Fletch to Reid, and see how that goes. Let Fletch range to follow Reid up if needed. Mix up if it's not working. Bags should take parker. Hocking to Kennedy. Melks in for Jerret and on McGlynn. 

Carlisle stands a chance against any of their backs, providing we bring it in intelligently. Hepps and Licka will need to sweep back as much as possible. Goddard can range forward with Ambrose, and try and split their defense. Our mids need to RUN! Theirs will - and they score. Ours need to as well. Zerret/Zacka/Howlett/Colyer need to pitch in with scores. We will need over 100 points to win this game, I reckon. We won't hold them much under that. 

Oh Pazza, come on. Jetta. Really? 

lf we had a dozen injuries, maybe. 

Leroy is out the door at the end of the season.

Rightfully so, he is a chronic under performer. 

Geez I hope it's not raining.

Might work in our favour given half of our talls are out, and they will play Tippett/Goodes/Buddy/everyone else.