Round 19 Essendon vs Sydney: Changes, Discussion, Match-ups, etc

LEROY

The only way he will EVER play a good game is if you are there to scream this whenever he gets within 50m of the pill

he heard me at the freo game, I know it

If this group is ever a chance to sneak an upset win against a team that's the clear favourite for the flag,  it will be in two weeks' time.

We have a bye, so an extra week to recover and prepare while they have to play a massive game against the reigning premiers,  who are the clear second favourite for the flag.

They have to travel home from that game,  too.

The only thing that would make this match better for us is if it was at Etihad Stadium.   Sadly,  it's in Sydney.  

We've been really good against this mob over the past couple of seasons;  last time we met was a very disappointing exception.   Let's hope we can pull off another surprise win.  :-)

dons 3 points up, 30 seconds to go, swans deep in attack, stoppage, goodes slips forward in tackle - ohhhh its 50 50, surely they wont pay this...

dons 3 points up, 30 seconds to go, swans deep in attack, stoppage, goodes slips forward in tackle - ohhhh its 50 50, surely they wont pay this...

And then he misses again!

No to Leroy. Trains very poorly, just goes about it as if he does not care less, a bit like that skinny sticks Gregory bloke.  He has no regard or understanding of the team game.  Yes he's a good VFL player and I like to watch his natural talent when he has a lucky burst but it does not translate to what we need at AFL level.  Jerrett actually buys into the strategy and sometimes struggles with execution but he will get there unlike Leroy. It's a pity because both Leroy and his good mate Paddy have been tested by Bomba this year and the results couldn't be more evident.

No to Leroy. Trains very poorly, just goes about it as if he does not care less, a bit like that skinny sticks Gregory bloke.  He has no regard or understanding of the team game.  Yes he's a good VFL player and I like to watch his natural talent when he has a lucky burst but it does not translate to what we need at AFL level.  Jerrett actually buys into the strategy and sometimes struggles with execution but he will get there unlike Leroy. It's a pity because both Leroy and his good mate Paddy have been tested by Bomba this year and the results couldn't be more evident.

I remember when Jetta burst onto the scene at the start of 2007. After a diabolical season in 2006, the Bombers bought in Davey and Jetta into the forward line. Comfortably beat the Crows in Round 1, the prelim finalists Freo in Rnd 2 and started on fire vs Carlscum in Rnd 3. I remember friends of opposition teams saying to me "who is this Jetta guy? Where did he come from?". He really did make an notable impact (along with Davey) very early in his career, but sadly he's dropped right away. He was one of the reasons we were in fact in the Top 4 at the half way point of 2007 (hard to believe that we were).

I remember when Jetta burst onto the scene at the start of 2007. After a diabolical season in 2006, the Bombers bought in Davey and Jetta into the forward line. Comfortably beat the Crows in Round 1, the prelim finalists Freo in Rnd 2 and started on fire vs Carlscum in Rnd 3. I remember friends of opposition teams saying to me "who is this Jetta guy? Where did he come from?". He really did make an notable impact (along with Davey) very early in his career, but sadly he's dropped right away. He was one of the reasons we were in fact in the Top 4 at the half way point of 2007 (hard to believe that we were).

Those 2 players plus Lovett is the reasoning we didn't get Rioli, cos we didn't need him cos of those players, let that gem (with the wonderful assistance of hindsight) sink in.

No NOB appreciation? Melksham will simply queue jump back over him for any midfield role?

If we beat a team as strong as Sydney-it will be as a result of a specific tactical gameplan that is executed as close to perfect as possible.

We'll need the coaching team to be on their 'A' game as much as all of our A /B graders to be on.

With Colyer/Myers/Zerrett etc to also have top games.

Will be our greatest victory since........well I can't remember.

Because it won't just be because we beat the ladder leaders-it will 'announce' to the competition that we're the real deal come finals time.

And fahaketti fark Carlton!!!

I thought we've had the discussion on how small the SCG is, and it isn't that much smaller, particularly after the recent renovations.

• MCG 160m x 140m
  • Etihad 160m x 129m
  • SCG 155m x 136m

So shorter than the MCG and Etihad by 5 metres, and between both grounds as far as width goes.

Goal post width apart is the same at every ground, that's all that matters [homage to Hoosiers]. Go Buckets, and Fark Carlton

If Trav can do it... Jetta can!

keeping the faith.

Sydney biased umpiring a Buddy freaking Franklin are a one-two punch we won't overcome.

We're gonna win.

I thought we've had the discussion on how small the SCG is, and it isn't that much smaller, particularly after the recent renovations.

• MCG 160m x 140m
  • Etihad 160m x 129m
  • SCG 155m x 136m

So shorter than the MCG and Etihad by 5 metres, and between both grounds as far as width goes.

Goal post width apart is the same at every ground, that's all that matters [homage to Hoosiers]. Go Buckets, and Fark Carlton

I didn't believe the dimensions listed at only 10m shorter last year, I don't know if I believe it now it's listed only 5m.

In actual gameplay it's still about 2 and a half kicks from end to end.

I don't usually wish an injury on anyone, but someone nail buddy this weeK!

A 1 xweek corky, a slight hammy, an ac--pleeeeeease.

Sydney is due for a loss (no science behind this statement).

TIpping we don't drop another game for the year!!  

TIpping we don't drop another game for the year!!

I have the comfort knowing that science is NOT always right. I still remember the game we nailed the undefeated Geelong in 2011.

Sydney biased umpiring a Buddy freaking Franklin are a one-two punch we won't overcome.

We're gonna win.

Bipolar!

Please let it not be this week...

How Swans lined up last round.

b: Rampe, Richards, Smith

hb: Laidler, Grundy, McVeigh

c: Malceski, Kennedy, Cunningham

hf: Parker, Reid, Jetta

f: Goodes, Franklin, McGlynn

foll: Pyke, K Jack, Towers

int: Bird, Rohan, Lloyd

sub: B Jack

Obviously Tippett will come in. I don't know who goes out. 

Does Bags go to Parker, Jetta, or McGlynn? I reckon Parker, he was in their best last time we played. 

Also, this was the match Carlisle started sub (and kicked 2 goals) in last time. Will be a different prospect for Richards now. I feel like if we go tall up forward we could stretch their defence. 

Anyway - I'm more confident than I was last time we played them. Last time, I feared a thumping - this time, I think we can push them. 

Those 2 players plus Lovett is the reasoning we didn't get Rioli, cos we didn't need him cos of those players, let that gem (with the wonderful assistance of hindsight) sink in.

There was one other reason. We thought Myers went ok.