Round 2 V the Dawks, preview

Reality is, the team will not be match hardened when they come up against the best team in the comp.

Lots of questions about their physical / mental preparedness after yesterday’s emotionally / physically demanding game, ie. will they suffer a letdown?

Don’t think they will. They’re a resilient group and will be smarting at letting the Swans game slip through their fingers. Just a question of whether their bodies will allow them to play 120 minutes of high intensity footy?

The thing that frustrates most is the perception that Essendon are mentally weak, ie. teams (opposition supporters) know they can overrun the Bombers at any stage of a game. They had excuses yesterday and half expect it to happen again next week.

Looking at the bigger picture the coaching group have their hands full ridding the team of its inferiority complex and getting them to maintain the rage throughout a game.

Go Bombers!

IN: EDWARDS

Out: Myers

We’ll go the knuckle next week

Quoted Post

We'll go the knuckle next week

Please be right

Quoted Post

Myers going down is an opportunity to bring in some pace, not some Kav. It's a pity there aren't real VFL games being played yet.

Agree for Hawthorn we definitely need to bring in some pace. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a few changes just to manage the guys bodies thought the first 2-3 weeks - but don’t know who because for 3 qtrs most players were on. Starts and Zakha had quiet ones but they shouldn’t be omitted.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
We'll go the knuckle next week

Please be right

If we play with the physicality of yesterday all year we’ll improve. Have been missing that in recent years.

Hope it’s a bruising game for them Monday and they get a couple injuries.

I’m not expecting much from this game and in truth I think we will get steamrolled.

Our back 6 is just as good as theirs IMO but they’ve got us everywhere else.

We are nowhere near fit enough yet to sustain our best over 4 qtrs and they’re just plain better than us.

A good result for mine is no injuries, and avoid a blowout that will destroy our percentage.

The real measure will be the return engagement.

Hopefully a massive pro Essendon crowd as well. First time we’ve had the chance to pack the G against this ‘70k member juggernaut.’ Put them in their place.

Give Dempsey another week in the 2’s I reckon. Don’t think Hocking will be ready too.

In: Ashby Out: Myers (inj)

B: Baguley Hooker Fletcher
HB: Hibberd Hurley Ashby
C: Goddard Watson Colyer
HF: Z.Merrett Carlisle Ambrose
FF: Cooney Daniher Chapman
R: Bellchambers Heppell Zaharakis
I: Stanton Howlett Melksham SUB: Gleeson

Who comes in for Myers will be interesting, as there isn’t really an obvious option to come in. Unless you use it to squeeze Dempsey back in, but I’m not sure that will happen.

Kav, Jerrett, maybe even Browne, or go Ashby / Dalgleish?

I honestly have no idea which way they’ll go.

By the looks of things, Edwards and Kav deserve a run perhaps??

I’d also consider bringing in Giles for Carlisle, who seems to be lacking confidence.

Actually Dempsey and Edwards sounds about right,

Bring them in.

so who we bringing in? you’ve named 4.

I think it would be out of Kavanagh or Ashby with and outside chance of Langford debuting in replacing Myers…but who knows!!!

Langford is a chance as well

Secret Weapon Browne for Myers?

have to say that while Kav’s preseason form left a bit to be desired he still ran out all 3 games better than anyone on the ground. His game against the dees was encouraging and by all reports he played very well yesterday. He didn’t a reasonable job on jones, wouldn’t be opposed to him being asked to shadow mitchell.

i think it is either kav or some real speed, porbably edwards.

there will be some sore bodies after yesterday so freshing things up would be too silly. Maybe ashby comes in for gleeson.

Quoted Post

Here's my prediction for these threads for the rest of the season

R2 Out: Stanton
R3 Out: Melksham
R4 Out: Stanton
R5 Out: Melksham
R6 Out: Melksham (something something photos something something)
R7 Out: Stanton
R8 Out: Melksham
R9 Out: Stanton (kicks into the man on the mark too often)
R10 Out Melksham
R11 Out Stanton (looks like he needs a rest)
R12 BYE
R13 Out: Stanton & Melksham
R14 Out: Melksham
R15 Out: Melksham
R16 Out Melksham & Stanton
R17 Out Stanton
R18 Out: Stantsham
R19 Out: Melkton
R20 Out: Stans and Melks
R21 Out: Melshkam
R22 Out: Stanton
R23 Out: Brent S & Jake M
QF Out: Stants or Melks
(Week Off)
PF Out: Melks or Stants
GF Out: STANTS LOOKS TIRED AND WHO DOES MELKSHAM HAVE PHOTOS OF?

I also predict Stanton and Melksham will miss a combined total of 0 games this year.

dealwithit.gif

Absolute GOLD that post.

Although I’m hoping Jake loses whipping boy status this year with a return to good form.

so want to win this one…carn the bombers

Quoted Post

Hopefully a massive pro Essendon crowd as well. First time we've had the chance to pack the G against this '70k member juggernaut.' Put them in their place.

Yes we were just looking at airfares, thought we might come down for the day. Nothing cheap enough at the moment but will keep looking throughout the week. Would love to get to the game.