Round 5 Essendon v Geelong @ Windy Hill, 12pm Saturday May 13 2017

Smack does unbelievably things every 3 games?

Thanks Chris_64. Iā€™d love to see Hocking get another go - Good enough this week to be considered?

EFC website says Bird 37 possessions.

2 Likes

I saw the last three quarters and a few random thoughts;
Draper was good, butā€¦ those who donā€™t like Langfordā€™s lack of aggression will have a field day with Draper. He has beautiful touch and gets in some good positions, but he will need to develop a bit of mongrel to compete on the big stage. If Jamar is working with him then he will be the right man for the job.

Jerret still has a great kick on him. If he could somehow put Howlettā€™s or Hockingā€™s aggression into him he would get a game each week.

Boyse is a smart footballer. He is not exactly key position size or physique, but like Tory Dickson back a few years ago, just bobs up in the right spots and converts. Not Dicksonā€™esque in accuracy, but still pretty solid. I feel that while he is good, he is sort of playing the medium or lead up forward role that would get Begley in to the game a lot more.

3 Likes

Jake Long has been in the system a few years now.
Hes got clean hand and so is effective with the ball. I reckon he plays a fantastic team game, He taps, knock the ball on, blocks, leads, he can run with the ball, creates something out of nothing. VFL team mates appear to look for him as more often than not, he wins the ball and makes them look goodā€¦butā€¦he doesnt seem to be getting any games in the 1s.

Thoughts?

1 Like
Essendon has stormed home to claim a 61 point victory over Geelong at Windy Hill Oval on Saturday.

The Bombers started slowly, heading into the first break two goals behind the Cats but after five unanswered goals in the second quarter, the Dons took control.

Tom Bellchambers, Alex Boyse and Alex Marklew were the standouts in the forward half, booting three goals each.

Craig Bird was the gameā€™s leading possession-winner with 37 touches and a goal.

The win is Essendonā€™s second of the season after five rounds.

More to come

ESSENDON 17.14.116
GEELONG 8.7.55

GOALS: Bellchambers 3, Boyse 3, Marklew 3, Begley 2, Langford 2, Merrett, Bird, Howlett, Holmes
DISPOSALS: Bird 37, McNiece 28, Stanton 24, Merrett 24

Very impressed with McNeiceā€™s numbers as a backman.

1 Like

He popped up in front of goal a couple of times which was nice to see. If he kicked a few goals it would add another aspect to his game.
The VFL side is lacking a small, crumbing forward. Not a lot of depth in that area after the guys in the senior side.

Langford low possessions any impact !!! as very little comment

Redman how was his game

Francis no impact thought he would nail it

2 goals and set up another as per radio 3DJR?

In todayā€™s game, occasionally, Francis dropped his head when his efforts did not yield possession. When he was given the ball, he tried to do too muchā€¦perhaps he believes his own hype.

1 Like

Almost Fantasia-esque

Bird surely canā€™t do much more

5 Likes

Did he go up one- handed for marks like last week ?

Heā€™s on rookie list, so would need to really dominate in VFL to get upgraded and given senior game ahead of mids already on the main list. I suspect he doesnā€™t get enough of the ball to demand an upgrade.

5 Likes

His name is PETERS.

2 Likes

Yeah butā€¦

7 Likes

Peters did not play today. He is the fast small crumbling forward you speak of.

Peters #56 right djr? Didnā€™t think he played?

1 Like

Thanks. I read the article about him (reposted by Scooter on Twitter) so I was keen to see him today.