Round 6 vs The Tin Rattling Tryhards Moving to Tassie - anticipation

That’s interesting with Raz

Still doubt on McKenna perhaps conditioning wise

Even his missus doesn’t want him in the team.

8 Likes

Oh, and happy birthday.

It’s got nothing to do with the saga. It’s been ingrained into our culture since roughly 2006.

it’d be disappointing if we played him back again.

we need goalkickers more than ever with stringer going down, so I reckon we need to back him in to kick a couple. having another small forward also relieves tippa a bit. surely the forward line benefits from 2 small forwards

1 Like

Dons ponder forward line reshuffle

Essendon faces a reshuffle in attack after Jake Stringer’s ankle injury.

1 hr

Cale Hooker could be shifted to the forward line on Saturday night. (Photo: AFL Photos)

Essendon faces a forward line reshuffle as injuries mount to its goalkicking ranks, with the Bombers considering sending defender Cale Hooker into attack.

The Bombers will be without Jake Stringer, their leading goalkicker from the past two years, for at least eight weeks after last week’s syndesmosis injury in his ankle.

They are already without spearhead Joe Daniher indefinitely – the club wouldn’t put a target on his return to scratch match level from his groin injury – meaning they will go into Saturday night’s clash with North Melbourne with Shaun McKernan shouldering the key position load inside 50.

Coach John Worsfold said the Bombers have discussed shifting backman Hooker, who booted 41 goals in 2017, into attack as well as Aaron Francis, who is expected to be available after missing last week’s win over Collingwood with back spasms.

“We will consider those things,” Worsfold said on Thursday.

“We’ve had some preliminary discussions around that. We’ve talked through all the different options we’ve got. Francis is not an option until he gets through full training (on Thursday) and once we know that we’re better armed with making those decisions.”

Athletic tall forward James Stewart, who had to serve a 14-day COVID-19 quarantine period after being deemed a close contact of Conor McKenna, has been ruled out of AFL selection this week.

Daniher is making progress in his recovery from his ongoing osteitis pubis problems that have plagued him since 2018 and has recently been doing the majority of training with the main group.

However, the club remains reluctant to put any timeframe on when the 2017 Virgin Australia AFL All Australian forward will be ready to take the field again, even in a scratch match.

“He won’t play this week so that’s as much information as I can give you on Joey at this stage,” Worsfold said.

“He’s enjoying his training program at the moment and coming along well.”

Essendon will regain star midfielder Zach Merrett from suspension for this week’s clash with the Kangaroos at Metricon Stadium.

Worsfold said the Bombers hadn’t discussed the prospect of playing away from Victoria for longer than the next five weeks after the state’s return to lockdown.

“We haven’t talked about that at all,” he said.

“We’re focusing on that’s immediately ahead of us and what we do know. There’s so many unknowns and I personally find it a waste of time to start thinking about things that may or may not happen.”

Gleeson getting the axe then?

Woosha with some good life advice here. Love it.

2 Likes

but some terrible coaching advice, and probably explains why he has been such a poor gameday coach.

What I took from that is Zerrett - CHF

2 Likes

No.

It is the most effective way to focus on the task at hand. It is actually the core of mindfulness and an extremely powerful communication philosophy.

6 Likes

is that you xavier ???

so here’s an example, you’re playing a game against a side who generally has a spare player back, they used to do it with some success against us too, even while he has been a head coach, the main guy who’s missed 2 years with injuries is now back, and doing a decent job in that role.

yet because it’s an unknown how he will set up against us, you don’t worry and therefore even ponder what he/they might do, and if that happens how to adapt on the fly.

cos that’s exactly what happened in the carlton game, from the carlton perspective.

but because it didn’t happen til gameday, it’s somehow good to not worry about it ? to not have in place plans to counteract different situations that may occur.

like i said, it’s poor advice from a coach, and again no wonder he’s always struggled on game days.

1 Like

Honestly DP, just shut the ■■■■ up man. You’re just making up hypothetical crap to be angry over.

6 Likes

out of curiosity, why don’t you just put me on ignore, surely that would make your life so infinitely better right ?

you seem to enjoy getting “angry” over what i say, more than anything else.

Worsfold’s comments were referring to the uncertainty around the Covid situation and playing away from Victoria for an extended time - something they have no control over, so why would they expend mental energy agonising over it. Nothing about the statement refers to a lack of preparation or planning for a game of football.

But you’re a smart guy, I think you knew this.

6 Likes

Just because he said they focussing only on this game ahead and not worrying about what may/may not happen for future games doesn’t mean there is no opposition analysis of what may happen on game day from him and rest of coaching group

Ridiculous line of thinking DNP

6 Likes

and it just goes to show how reading someones comments without reading the article can portray a very wrong context for one (me) to make said comment I did :rofl: :rofl:
not so smart looking now hey haha :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

It better not be ham!!!

1 Like

Because I like you and reading some of your posts around game day stuff and think you’re one of the people here who make this a great, unique place. The only time I ever “get angry” (it’s eye rolling, “let it go”, not angry) is when you find any excuse possible to have a whinge and bang your drum about Woosha.

Woosha has given an extremely specific answer that had to do with what happens in five weeks time by saying he’s not focusing on things that may or may not happen, rather what’s in front of him. It’s clearly the right thing to think, do and say but here you go, marching in to tell us how in some unbelievably convoluted way it actually relates to something totally different and categorical proof that what you’ve been saying in every post since 1922 is true.

It’s nonsense.

2 Likes

Given how he went in the VFL on the wing.
i’d leave Ridley in defence.

Wouldn’t be moving Ridley to accomodate Francis.

Francis fit as a forward may be a different proposition than earlier in his career. Id personally try him in stringer role including minutes on the ball too.

if moving another defender forward…most likely Hooker IMO.

2 Likes