Round 7 Essendon v Nth Ballarat @ Windy Hill, 12pm Saturday 3 June 2017

Get a room, kiddies…

Essendon VFL has strengthened its position in the top eight with a 38-point win over North Ballarat at Windy Hill.

Shaun McKernan was a constant threat in the forward half, finishing with four goals and eight marks.

Nick O’Brien (34 possessions), Kyle Langford (31 possessions, two goals), Craig Bird (31 possessions, seven tackles, two goals) and Heath Hocking (28 possessions, five tackles, two goals) were prolific in the midfield.

Alex Carr, the 2014 Morrish Medal winner, was impressive in his first game for the Bombers. He finished with three goals.

Jordan Ridley made a composed return to the field. He collected 17 disposals in his first match since he was sidelined with a back problem in March.

The Dons were on fire early kicking three goals in the opening six minutes, but the Roosters made their limited forward 50 forays count in the opening term.

At the first change the margin was 18 points with Langford (11 disposals), Bird (10) and Hocking (10) all making an early impression.

The two sides traded goals in the second term, with each team booting five majors.

The Bombers put their foot down in the third quarter with experienced big men Matthew Leuenberger (seven disposals for the term) and Shaun McKernan (three marks for the term) having an impact around the ground.

Leuenberger ended the match with 23 disposals.

The Dons booted six goals to four to take a 33-point lead into the final change.

But every time Essendon threatened the pull away, North Ballarat answered.

In the last quarter the margin was reduced to 23 points midway through the term, before a late goal to Jackson Merrett sealed the win.

3 Likes

Essendon’s midfield has powered the VFL Dons to a 38 point over North Ballarat.

Heath Hocking, Craig Bird and Kyle Langford finished with 90 disposals between them and the trio also hurt the Roosters on the scoreboard…

Matthew Leuenberger was also influential with 23 possessions and a host of hit-outs.

Coach Paul Corrigan said he was impressed with the efforts of the on-ball brigade.

“I thought the majority of the midfield were standouts, they all performed really well,” he said.

“’Leuey’ in the ruck gave really good service to our mids. Hocking, Langford, Bird – these guys I thought were really good through there.

“It’s really important that we’re able to own the contest and play well in there and then adjust that to the outside.

“[Josh] Begley played up forward and was also really consistent all day.”

Jordan Ridley returned after three months on the sidelines after overcoming a back injury.

In the time he spent on the field he showed promising signs with 17 disposals.

“It was really good to see ‘Rids’ out there for the first time today. Sometimes when you’ve had such a long lay-off it’s going to take time just to get your footy back again,” Corrigan said.

“I thought he performed really well today and he’s going to keep learning and adjusting to the way we’re playing.

“I hope we can see some real consistency in his training and games, and he has a good run through to the end of the year.”

Alex Carr debuted for and was outstanding in the forward line, booting three goals in his first appearance in the red and black.

“He went really well, obviously it’s tough when you’re coming in for your first game and adjusting to the level,” Coach Paul Corrigan said.

“I thought he adjusted really well and it was really good to see him get some reward for his efforts throughout the day and finish with three goals.

“It was a really good performance for his first game.”

There were a number of great individual performances but Corrigan says the side still has plenty to work on.

“The game was a little bit frustrating. We were inconsistent in our performance,” Corrigan said.

“I think it was probably more our defence today. I thought we really owned the contest today with our clearance work.

“We were getting the ball turned over at times and they were able to break through our lines a little too easy.

“Transition from plays and being able to get back and get good positions and put pressure on the ball – we just didn’t see that today.

“They got the ball out the back a little too easy and they were able to kick goals from that so it’s something we will have a look at this week and see how we can fix that.”

2 Likes

McKernan and Stewart seem pretty on par ATM as players.

Why do I get the sense that Alex Morgan is going to be the next bloke to be delisted from the senior list, only to be picked up as a rookie for a year or two before we delist him.

3 Likes

Stats up in Footy Live app.

457 disposals to their 310!

Hitouts 66 to 13!!!

Just goes to show why I was frustrated with the (only) comfy win…

Rippon the #1 DreamTeamer. But 16 of the bottom 18 were his teammates…

3 Likes

Putting those stats together with what comments from those who were there, it seems we were scored against on the break a lot. Is this true DJR?
If so, I recall this comment from Saladin from the Coburg game “…at 3/4 the defenders were told it was ok if one of the Coburg forwards stayed behind the defence. Clearly we were backing our pressure to minimise over-the-top damage and allow the back half to attack”.
Are we pressing up too hard?
It is a pet peeve of mine that by pressing up as hard as most teams seem to do these days, in an attempt to lock the ball in their forward line, they expose themselves to goals on the break. I am an advocate of leaving a sweeper back 20 to 30m behind the defensive line to protect against this and ensure that when the opposition gets a break out of our forward line theough the corridor, they can’t get behind the defence.

1 Like

So is Jackson officially gone? What role do they have him playing now

Maybe.
I was of the belief we had him in the backline to improve defensive efforts/running, in a bid to see him back on a HFF with more defensive oomf, … and a few weeks back he seemed to be doing ok, … but hasn’t been mentioned much since.

IIRC, he’s still mainly playing off a HBF & getting some mid time as well… @theDJR ?

Yes. His kicking is top grade, which is certainly a prime skill at higher levels, but he’s just not grabbing the game by the balls.

2 Likes

I think the bigger problem is that he’s just not grabbing the ball at the games

8 Likes

Jackson Merret was another of those who was swung around all over the place.
Started back, moved forward, had some mid / wing time, forward pocket at one stage.
Did some quality things, missed some kicks.

Hard to get a form line on, as, like a few others he’s not being allowed to settle into a role within a relatively predictable system.

12 kicks, 13 disposals [EDIT: handballs], 10 marks, 3 tackles, 1 goal
2 inside 50, 1 rebound 50
1 free against

Maybe harsh to just say “meh”… but meh.

That should say 12 kicks 13 handballs…

1 Like

If that’s correct, …(12 & 13) plus 10 marks, 3 tackles and a goal, … then that’s not too bad, and is something to build on.

I know it was a lowly team, … but we hardly dominated, and if he was thrown about as WSB say’s, … then, it’s actually more impressive, …so he might not be done & dusted just yet.

Personally I think Jerrett is done and dusted and won’t get another game.

But I thought the same about Colyer midway through 2014 when he was out of contract and couldn’t get a game. But then he got back in the team and never looked back.

So you never know.

1 Like

yeah but jerrett has literally no assets. colyer at least adds pace

I know he kicked 3 but what Francis’ actual possession numbers? Around a dozen?

Francis 3.1

6 kicks, 5 handballs, 4 marks, 4 tackles
1 inside 50, 1 hitout, 1 free for, 1 free against

He was at the play of the ball enough but just couldn’t quite finish the rest of the flying mark attempts.

1 Like

Thanks guys.