Round 8 other games

Oh yeah, I sometimes confuse those two dweebs.

I didnā€™t catch the China game, I assume the casual racism from the commentators was amazing? ā€œThatā€™s a sweet and sour goalā€, etc

Danny Frawley on Fox Footy did a skit using a stereotypical Chinese accent

Full casual racism

1 Like

Itā€™s funny because they sound different to us

I watched it a bit until I couldnā€™t stand such a crap gameā€¦the comms were shocking with their casual racism comments though. Probably funny in the 80ā€™s but not so much now.

Pretty poor form all round from what I understand.

Not sure about that actually.
I believe everything went off pretty ricely.

1 Like

Soooooooo, imitating an accent is now racist is it ?FMD

2 Likes

Always has been. Just gets called out now

Fair enough, next time someone tries to imitate an Australian accent that person is in BIG trouble

2 Likes

Fair enough but I think it comes down to intent.

1 Like

Cool, Iā€™m just being a bit of a smart azz.
I guess itā€™s similar to calling your mate C__T in an endearing way as opposed to saying it in a way that you want to rip his head off.

1 Like

I am not sure whether certain areas were off limits. We went to the game with GA tickets which had allocated seats - so I suspect all seats may have been allocated.

The tickets selling out in 2 hours is absolute rubbish though - we bought a large number not long before the game. And there was still plenty of space where we were sitting.

The game itself was diabolical - Gold Coast put in legit the most insipid performance Iā€™ve ever seen (despite being an Essendon fan over the past 15 years). The price of admission was getting to tell Kochie some of my feelings about him and his club.

1 Like

Is Gill bdstratton?

9 Likes

Itā€™s similar to that, except if alongside it were a bunch of people who have spent decades telling your mate heā€™s an existential threat and shouldnā€™t be allowed into the country. Which to me makes the banter a bit less fun and cheeky.

Bruce dropped something along the lines of ā€œConfucius say ā€˜you donā€™t wanna try that at homeā€™ā€

Dunno if thatā€™s really offensive but it was incredibly hackneyed and cringeworthy. The presentation of the game was like a TV version of a Contiki tour, every single national cliche that could be drummed up. There was one of those awful pregame intros which of course concluded with ā€œjourney of a thousand milesā€¦ā€ quote. I donā€™t always agree with Titus Oā€™Reilly but I enjoy his cynicism and hope he writes a big piece on this corporate junket.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.
But generally speaking people are way too touchy these days.

2 Likes

After reading the Victorian media all week, congratulations to the AFL of introducing sport to China.

What ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  waaank.

2 Likes

Whatā€™s racist about sweet and sour comment?

If Sav Rocca kicked a great punt in the NFL and the commentator mentioned he must have eaten his Lamb Chops is it racist?

I like my racism smart casual.