Round 9 - Changes vs Saints

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOS???

Shaun Edwards impressed on the track after a strong performance at VFL level last weekend and Worsfold confirmed the exciting forward is a chance to play his first senior game of the year against the Saints.
Drew Jones on Twitter:

Zach Merrett left the track early at Bombers training. Grabbed at his calf a couple of times. Didn’t look too bad though #afl

Mozzies are bad this time of the year down TVSC way.

GOOSE STEP

I forgot to add RIP Zach

Drew Jones on Twitter:

Zach Merrett left the track early at Bombers training. Grabbed at his calf a couple of times. Didn’t look too bad though #afl

IN: Copping

SHAUNYE
REINVIGORATING 'TIL THE EARLY DAWN

Expect to see edwards in today. Its SHAUNYE time

Would reinvigorate my love of football.

Where art thou Sir Davos? It is but a Thursday and thine hour has come.

Bar-ry da,da,da. Bar-ry da,da,da. Bar-ry da,da,da …

Ambrose shouldn't be dropped, did a really good job in defence

To be honest, he looks more of a defender than he does anything else.

And you wouldn’t drop him based off last week.

Where art thou Sir Davos?
It is but a Thursday and thine hour has come.

Expect to see edwards in today. Its SHAUNYE time

I also see if you can get the ball in Langford s hands around the 50 and inside he will kick 2-3 goals often and set up something similar.

I would play Daniher . Brown and Langford ( running wherever) combined with three smaller forwards

Last week our fwd structure was not working (again) despite similar inside 50's and we only came back into game when North lost a rotation and picking a top heavy side caught them out. They will go back to their effective 3 tall fwd structure this week without doubt.

Now that we know JD can provide 10x that which Grimley can as fwd/ruck, and we saw Brown be completely ineffective at FF getting double teamed. We can perhaps revert to a 3 tall structure.

Bring in Grimley to play at FF which he knows how to do (VFL leading goal kicker twice, kicked 3 in reserves last week). Brown able to push up and provide leading target around CHF (which he did very very well in Blues game). And let Joe roam all over & pinch hit in ruck.

This then creates space in our fwd line and isolation for the talls.

Must ensure enough pace in side to do so.

OUT: McKenna, Crowley, Polky
IN: Eades, Edwards, Grimley

B: Baguley Grima Ambrose
HB: Dea Hartley TIPPA
C: Cooney Zaka Goddard
HF: Langford JD Fantasia
F: Eades Grimley Brown
R: Leuey Zerrett Bird

B: Kelly Parish Redman Edwards

Emerg: Gwilt Polky Gleeson Jamar

I dont mind that side at all, changes makes sense and theoreticaly improves our side in 2 areas

Last week our fwd structure was not working (again) despite similar inside 50’s and we only came back into game when North lost a rotation and picking a top heavy side caught them out. They will go back to their effective 3 tall fwd structure this week without doubt.

Now that we know JD can provide 10x that which Grimley can as fwd/ruck, and we saw Brown be completely ineffective at FF getting double teamed. We can perhaps revert to a 3 tall structure.

Bring in Grimley to play at FF which he knows how to do (VFL leading goal kicker twice, kicked 3 in reserves last week). Brown able to push up and provide leading target around CHF (which he did very very well in Blues game). And let Joe roam all over & pinch hit in ruck.

This then creates space in our fwd line and isolation for the talls.

Must ensure enough pace in side to do so.

OUT: McKenna, Crowley, Polky
IN: Eades, Edwards, Grimley

B: Baguley Grima Ambrose
HB: Dea Hartley TIPPA
C: Cooney Zaka Goddard
HF: Langford JD Fantasia
F: Eades Grimley Brown
R: Leuey Zerrett Bird

B: Kelly Parish Redman Edwards

Emerg: Gwilt Polky Gleeson Jamar

Jnr BBB.

Hartley. I could see this happening, but the clue will come from Karma Bomber or Jackie. If Hartley trains as a forward yes. Unless he plays a forward role in match simulations at training , its very unlikely to happen.
Ambrose. He did the whole pre-season as a defender. He can play as a half back in a more attacking role, but his biggest strength is as a negative type of player.
Tippa closer to goal. Yes . Tippa getting more I50s, rather than R50s. yes. Other players using Tippa more , yes.

Out: Crowley, Mckenna, Redman
In: Gwilt, Eades/Edwards, Dempsey

Gwilt should be ready to come back this week, so too Dempsey. Happy to drop Mckenna and give him time in the VFL just to get more experience under his belt, as I feel that is what he is lacking. Is physically ready for AFL right now, just lacks the smarts… will learn in VFL. Would prefer Eades to comes in as Mckenna’s replacement although I do want to see Edwards get a crack. Many have put a line through Edwards, I am also very close. Although I’d like to see him get 2-3 games to give him that last chance, a chance to prove to everyone he deserves to stay next year. Team:

FB: Dea, Grima, Gwilt
HB: Goddard, Ambrose, Kelly
C: TIPPA, Zaka, Dempsey
HF: Langford, Hartley, Raz
FP: Brown, Joe, Baguley

Foll: Leuny, Zerrett, Parish

I/C: Bird, Cooney, Eades/Edwards, Polkinghorne

The bolded names are the “experimental/controversial” roles.

Hartley: Would love to see him experimented up forward, strong boy with a booming, accurate kick. Moves pretty well too. This week is a chance to test it out as I cant think of a relevant matchup for him. Grima to Bruce(Grima a bit undersized), Ambrose to Riewoldt(matches him physically).

Ambrose: Controversial for two reasons, Some calling for him to be dropped (pretty silly imo), and also the role on Riewoldt. I see it as a perfect match up as riewoldt runs and runs, and ambrose is the only person on our list that can match his height and work rate.

TIPPA: Not controversial but more experimental. Has been running it off half back, but I would love to see him moved up onto the wing and have less defensive responsibility and a bigger attacking role.

It’s a bit of a confusing side jnrbbb, and I reckon it would be trying too many things at once.

However I do like your bolded suggestions.

I think the Ambrose call is real chance of happening. And I hope it does, because if Ambrose does well that’s an awesome feather in his cap.

I’d quietly love to see Hartley forward. We tried Hurley who couldn’t mark, and Carlisle who emo’d, and then Hooker who was the best of them but did have some goal kicking yips. Just imagine we put Hartley there and he performs well. He might be a better forward option than Hooker, and it’d reunite Hooker and Hurley back.

Tippa up the ground focussing on delivering the ball inside 50 would be great too.

As regards McKenna, there have been a number of comments on here that he looks “lost”. Even though during last year his kicking improved a lot and he always had marking ability and goal sense, Its been clear for a while that he does not read the play as well as he can execute most of the other skills.

He probably needs a couple more games at AFL level , reviews the following week , and monitoring to see if he is learning . If he is learning too slowly, send him back to the VFL for an extended stint down there.