Russia invades Ukraine - 3 - from 23 Oct 2022

Well Pepa the Hamster made it out alive. She was a brave girl. Why the guy didn’t want to evacuate, that is what I wonder about. Like the civilians still living in the middle of Hell that is what is left of Bahkmut. Extreme bravery or extreme stupidity? Both?

1 Like

My tribe / your tribe

1 Like

The last Ukraine census ( in 2001) put the ethnic Russian minority at 17.4%.
The rhetoric of our previous government on the Chyna threat flowed through to antagonism towards ethnic Chinese here, who account for a much smaller proportion of our society.
I haven’t seen anything as to the degree of suspicion and alienation of ethnic Russians in Ukraine ( apart from the raids on Russian Orthodox monasteries).

It is a very long bow to draw to equate the raids on seditious priests who are a front for the FSB with the “suspicion and alienation of ethnic russians in Ukraine” but as per usual, your posts- well, the ones that try to stray into some sort of original analysis - are usually like that: pure conjecture and sloppy inference. Why don’t you read a bit more and support your statements with some “sauces”.

3 Likes

A massive Ukrainian broadside in the now ongoing culture/historical war that has been joined:
Reclaim your history - Rename your Enemy
https://en.socportal.info/en/news/na-saite-prezidenta-poyavilas-petitciya-s-predlozheniem-pereimenovat-rossiiu-v-moskoviiu/

The petition on the president’s website appeared yesterday, following the rocket attacks on Ukrainian territory.

The authors propose that Russia should revert to its historical name, Moscovia, as the territory was called before it was renamed by Peter the Great 300 years ago:

The historical name of Russia is Moscovia. The same applies to state formations of the Moscow Principality, the Moscow Kingdom, the Empire. This name was used in European and in some Asian languages. Many historical maps of the 16th and 19th centuries, which were produced in Europe before and after the renaming of the Moscow Kingdom into the All-Russian Empire, also feature this name.

The authors of the petition also reminded that for foreigners the names Rus’ and Russia sound very similar and it contributes to confusion of notions and historical realities - as if they are one and the same state that has changed over time. And that is why modern Russia clings to Ukraine, appropriating its ancient history. Separated from Kiev, the Russian state identity loses its roots.

Ukraine’s inaction in the question of the historical name of Russia is a tacit recognition of the hostile and dangerous claim that the Russian Federation is a direct descendant of our Kievan Rus. Peter I stole the name of Rus, followed by Catherine II who rewrote history, correcting everything about the Russian Empire for victories and achievements, while everything about Ukraine was carefully destroyed, and not only on paper. Now their tradition is continued by the dictator of modern Russian Federation, - the petition says.

The authors of the petition also believe that today, when Russia went to Ukraine with tanks and missiles, it is necessary to return it the historical name of Moskovia for an international precedent:

Officially changing the name of the state is a powerful information move internationally. It will create a query in Russia and other countries to the question, “What is Moskovia? Why did Ukrainians rename Russia to Moskovia?” This will launch a wave of information search. Together with the search for “Moskovia”, the historical facts of the creation of the Russian and Ukrainian states will be revealed. Those facts that are either silenced or distorted by Kremlin propaganda. This will lead to dispelling Kremlin myths about the historical past of “the great Russian people” for Russians and gra

The petition has only just appeared on the website of the President of Ukraine and it has already gathered 359 votes (as of 10.51 24.11.22 Kyiv time), despite the fact that many Ukrainians do not have light or access to the Internet today
Офіційно перейменувати назву “росія” на “московія”. Замінити термін “російський” на “московський”, “російська федерація” на “московська федерація”. Електронні петиції — Офіційне інтернет-представництво Президента України (president.gov.ua)

2 Likes

Fair suck of the sauce bottle @Taojas . @bigallan consistently provides (not “strays into”) deep analyisis of trade and international diplomacy with plenty of referencing. She has informed historical and religious angles as well. We can all disagree with a certain post without tearing down the rest of a valued contributor’s work.

8 Likes

Fair enough. I retract my hasty and generalized statement on @bigallan’s posts and will endeavour in future to keep my disagreements with him/her reasoned and directly on point to the topic/s being discussed.

4 Likes

The joke is that I was not drawing any bow.
ADD
The most recent substantive report on the treatment of minorities in Ukraine was in 2015, a report to UNGA by the UNCHR rapporteur ( document A/HRC/28/(64/Add)
The report was generally positive in regard to Ukraine legal protection of minorities.
Some concerns were expressed at a drift away from protection for Russian minorities post Euromaidan, post Russian annexation of Crimea and the separist territories .
Some of the concerns related to suppression of the recognition of the Russian language in education and official documents in regions where the minorities were most dominant.
As noted by the rapporteur, the definition of ethnicity is complex ( not least in Ukraine). The first language is usually the easiest. But it does not translate into national affiliation. IIRC most Russian speakers at the time outside the separatist regions identified as Ukraine.

4 Likes

The whole video looks fake

2 Likes

Just kidding it’s 2022

2 Likes
3 Likes
7 Likes

Latvia stepping up once again

4 Likes

I hope they get the same jail cell.

4 Likes
2 Likes
2 Likes

Russia will be having this problem, but face poorer quality parts.

Lithuania has just finished repairs on a 6th PzH2000 howitzer.

https://twitter.com/thedeaddistrict/status/1596375685991309312?s=46&t=8qU0jh76usZ4k8yMAupkTw

3 Likes

WFP in August estimated that 22 million were at risk of starvation in the Horn of Africa, an increase of around 10 million since the Ukraine War.
WFP estimates that up to 19 million in Yemen are food insecure.
The consequences of drought, conflicts and Wars.
Those numbers serve to explain why the UNSG called his role in negotiating the Black Sea Grain Corridor his greatest achievement.

1 Like