Ryan Crowley Tested Positive

FREMANTLE tagger Ryan Crowley has tested positive to a banned substance under the AFL’s Anti-Doping Code.

The 31-year-old, who tested positive for a banned substance after Fremantle’s round 17 game against GWS last year, opted to accept a provisional suspension from September.

Accepting a provisional suspension is not an admission of guilt.
Crowley played in all the Dockers’ games after round 17, including their two finals.

Mystery has surrounded his absence from Fremantle’s NAB Challenge squads, with the club refusing to elaborate on the reasons for his non-selection for the two games to date.

Fremantle will hold a press conference from midday AWT.

More to come

NBA announced today that they'll be testing HGH from next year. If a player tests positive for HGH, he will be suspended 20 games for his first violation and 45 games for his second violation, and he will be dismissed and disqualified from the NBA for his third violation.

AFL needs to move to their own system.

A joke that crowley might get 6 months to 2 years for taking a nurofen and a NBA player can be suspended for 20 games (equiv to 5 AFL matches).

US testing regimes certainly are a joke.

Yep, case in point, A-Roid!!

NBA announced today that they'll be testing HGH from next year. If a player tests positive for HGH, he will be suspended 20 games for his first violation and 45 games for his second violation, and he will be dismissed and disqualified from the NBA for his third violation.

A joke that crowley might get 6 months to 2 years for taking a nurofen and a NBA player can be suspended for 20 games (equiv to 5 AFL matches).

US testing regimes certainly are a joke.

NBA announced today that they’ll be testing HGH from next year.
If a player tests positive for HGH, he will be suspended 20 games for his first violation and 45 games for his second violation, and he will be dismissed and disqualified from the NBA for his third violation.

Painkiller could be an opioid, but I'm buggered if they're performance enhancing.
Some painkillers have other things in them. For eg, the new Panadol Extra has caffeine (which is no longer prohibited). Some tablets may have an antiinflammatory (ibuprofen, paracetemol) plus an opoid (codeine) plus a stimulant (psuedoephedrine). Psuedo is certainly banned on match day. Some have muscle relaxants or sedatives (i.e. mercyndol forte contains doxylamine).

Some may have steroids in them too for various purposes such as anti-inflammatory.

And this is just my knowledge from reading up on the drugs I’ve been given for my various injuries and broken bones…

It’s entirely possible that he’s taken a painkiller that contained a banned substance. That’s in no way absolves him of responsibility. Indeed, it makes him more culpable IMO. If Saad got two years for an over the counter energy drink then someone taking prescription or behind the counter pain meds should absolutely be considered just as if not more culpable.

For heavens sake Zeb, give the mongrel a break. Lets wait and find out what he took.
We have been through 2 years of hell on did they, didn’t they with our own boys . Look upon it as if it was one of ours. Lets hear the full story. Having said that I won’t be sorry he won’t be playing against us.

Painkiller could be an opioid, but I'm buggered if they're performance enhancing.
Some painkillers have other things in them. For eg, the new Panadol Extra has caffeine (which is no longer prohibited). Some tablets may have an antiinflammatory (ibuprofen, paracetemol) plus an opoid (codeine) plus a stimulant (psuedoephedrine). Psuedo is certainly banned on match day. Some have muscle relaxants or sedatives (i.e. mercyndol forte contains doxylamine).

Some may have steroids in them too for various purposes such as anti-inflammatory.

And this is just my knowledge from reading up on the drugs I’ve been given for my various injuries and broken bones…

It’s entirely possible that he’s taken a painkiller that contained a banned substance. That’s in no way absolves him of responsibility. Indeed, it makes him more culpable IMO. If Saad got two years for an over the counter energy drink then someone taking prescription or behind the counter pain meds should absolutely be considered just as if not more culpable.

I think their reasoning is ‘player welfare’ in that they don’t want people taking pain killers 24/7 and becoming addicted, just to get through the day. If you can’t get through mid week without them, that’s your body telling you to rest.

I’m suspicious on this one. His presser looked dodgy. Reckon there’s a bit more to this story.

Painkiller could be an opioid, but I’m buggered if they’re performance enhancing.

James Hird, how could you?

Also, this, just from a couple of days ago:

Dockers confirm Crowley's absence due to 'dealing with issues' Alex Malcolm March 12, 2015 10:12 PM

Newsletter
RSS
357433-tlsnewslandscape.jpg
Ryan Crowley is no certainty to play in round one, his teammate has conceded
RELATED

Sore Dockers fail to train before Swans clash
I’m not 100 per cent sure what’s wrong with him. But he’s looking OK running wise, so I don’t think he’ll be too far away
Garrick Ibbotson on Ryan Crowley
FREMANTLE has confirmed Ryan Crowley is ‘dealing with some issues’ and is not available for selection this weekend.

Crowley was left out of the Dockers’ 29-man squad to face the Sydney Swans in their NAB Challenge clash at Drummoyne Oval on Sunday.

He also did not play against Melbourne last Thursday.

The 31-year-old was running laps at Wednesday’s open training session and has missed a number of training sessions throughout the summer although there has been no suggestion that he has been carrying an injury issue.

Coach Ross Lyon will address the media on Friday morning.

Earlier on Thursday teammate Garrick Ibbotson could shed no light on Crowley’s situation, saying: "I’m not entirely sure where he’s at.

"But he has been doing a lot of laps, and he is a proven player for us and a really fit guy.

“So it won’t take him long to get up to speed. I’m not 100 per cent sure what’s wrong with him. But he’s looking OK running wise, so I don’t think he’ll be too far away.”

Crowley is just 12 games shy of reaching the 200-game milestone. He has not missed a match at AFL level since 2011 but Ibbotson could not guarantee he would be right for round one.

“I’m not sure whether he’ll be there round one or not,” Ibbotson said.

“He hasn’t missed a game for a long time. He’s been a really good performer and a best and fairest at the club.”

"But even when he’s not out there training, he’s really good for our younger guys coming through.

“He’s really valuable around the guys who are in the midfield, and talking them through some different situations even when he’s not out on the field.”

Sore Dockers fail to train ahead of Swans clash

Fremantle do have Matt de Boer to call on as a run-with player in the midfield if Crowley is unavailable. De Boer has put in a phenomenal pre-season following an indifferent 2014 and has the fitness levels to run with the best midfielders in the AFL.

“I think Ross has said Crowls isn’t going to be here forever, so it’s always good while he’s here to be able to talk someone like Matty de Boer through that role if it happens to work out that way,” Ibbotson said.

“I’m not sure what the plans are with de Boer this year. If that happens to be the case, then Crowls will be there to help him out.”

Meanwhile, Ibbotson will be joined against the Swans by teammates Aaron Sandilands and Nat Fyfe for their first pre-season hitouts, having passed a fitness test last Saturday.

He said he had “full faith” in his surgically repaired shoulder holding up to competitive football again.

“I never go into a game thinking I’m going to break down. If it does happen, I’ll deal with it then. But other than that, I’m always confident playing, and I have no issues stepping out onto the ground.”

Ibbotson has used Fyfe, who had the same operation, as a sounding board during his recovery.

“It was good to have a guy who’s been through it before and hasn’t had any issues since,” Ibbotson said.

“I spent a bit of time with him going through a few strength exercises, but mostly it’s the strength and conditioning guys helping me through.”

Ibbotson said it was scary to think Fyfe, who enjoyed an outstanding 2014, could improve again but the Dockers think he will.

“He looks really good,” Ibbotson said.

"Obviously he’s put on a bit of weight and looks really strong. I think he’s said he wants to be a more powerful athlete through the midfield, which is pretty hard to imagine because he’s pretty good already.

"I think he can definitely improve. He’s said himself he’s not the perfect player. He’s looking to improve his forward work a little bit, improve his marking, which is a strength of his already.

“And that explosiveness when he gets going will be really impressive.”

Well, we know now

Dankmantle

Probs was Modafinil after listening to Lyon speak.

Quoted Post

FREMANTLE tagger Ryan Crowley has tested positive to a banned substance under the AFL's Anti-Doping Code.

The 31-year-old, who tested positive for a banned substance after Fremantle’s round 17 game against GWS last year, opted to accept a provisional suspension from September.

Accepting a provisional suspension is not an admission of guilt.
Crowley played in all the Dockers’ games after round 17, including their two finals.

Mystery has surrounded his absence from Fremantle’s NAB Challenge squads, with the club refusing to elaborate on the reasons for his non-selection for the two games to date.

Fremantle will hold a press conference from midday AWT.

More to come

Why was he allowed to play after testing positive? What if Freo had won the flag and he tagged JPK or some hawks player out of the game.

There are some Freo supporter mate of mine from Perth I badly want to get stuck into after the past 2 years. Think I might wait until March 31 before I do, or should I just go for it?

The “I’ll accept a provisional suspension, exactly when it suits me to do so” is more than a bit bullshitty.

Wait! They let him play after they found out. WTF!

I hope this was Fitzpatricks fault.

Got pinched

“Pure finals series”

How many of our players have tested positive in the last 2 years again?

needs new name

“Ryan Crowley Tagged Positive”