Ryder 150

Ryder celebrates 150 game milestone

Gregor McCaskie  March 19, 2014 10:28 PM

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2014-03-19/ryder-celebrates-150-milestone

20140319_ryder_p.jpg

As Essendon players prepare themselves for the opening round of a new season, for Patrick Ryder there is an additional reason to celebrate.

As he kicks off his ninth season at Essendon, this week will mark a personal milestone for Ryder who will play his 150th AFL game.  This puts Ryder among the Bombers‘ more experienced players with only Fletcher, Chapman, Goddard, Stanton and Watson with more games than him.

Ryder arrived at Windy Hill in late 2005 after being picked by Essendon at number 7 in that year‘s national draft. Ryder had already played senior football at East Fremantle in the WAFL and had been an U18 All-Australian.

Tall and agile with plenty of pace and a great leap, Ryder has been a handful for opposition teams since he made his debut in a round 1 win over Sydney at Docklands in 2006. Ryder played nine games in his debut season then was nominate as the NAB Rising Star in round 1, 2007. From then he missed only five games in the next five seasons although he‘d be the first to admit that consistency has not always been a strength.

Spending time as a tall defender and a part-time ruckman under Kevin Sheedy and Matthew Knights, it was on Anzac Day 2009 that Ryder was thrown into the deep end.

As David Hille was stretchered off in the opening minutes of the game with a season-ending knee injury, the responsibility to carry the ruck for the day was left to Ryder

Ryder‘s won 27 hit outs against his more experience opponents Josh Fraser and Leigh Brown, in a game that displayed maturity, athleticism and commitment. He was rewarded with the Anzac Medal for his best-on-ground performance that day. A last gasp winning goal by David Zaharakis in the dying moments completed a great day for Ryder and all Bombers fans.

Since that day, Ryder has made the ruck position his own, using his impressive leap and delicate tap work.

“I spoke to Simon Goodwin at the end of the (2102) season and he said that as a football player he saw my football really mature in the second half of the season so I am looking forward to getting back out there and progressing on that,” Ryder said.

With only one finals game in eight seasons, however, Ryder is hopeful that the Bombers are ready to be a regular feature in September once again.

If the Bombers are to be successful in the finals, Ryder will be a key component of the team.

“The next couple of years are likely to be the biggest couple of years of my footy career so I am looking forward to what is in store”, Ryder said.

Best wishes Paddy for the 150! Definitely the mature player now so here's hoping you take control of a whole game and dominate a few. Really one player on our list who could really dominate with massive impact for the team.

Still got his number on my back :)

Ahhh season 2102… What a year that was.

Ahhh season 2102... What a year that was.

That was the year Fletcher won the Brownlow wasn't it?

Good luck and well done to Paddy.

He is at the age and experience with games under his belt where he can truly blossom as a consistent and talented player.

Let’s hope it is this year that this occurs, starting with tomorrow night.

Will single handedly win us the first six games.

Lid blown into the stratosphere?

i'm on that train. loves playing against goldstein, kreuzer, mcevoy. will need some third man up assistance against sandy and warnock if he is still in the side. he'll be up against some rookies for the aints and pies.

lets just hope he doesn't try and wipe mcfarlane (or some other smudge) off the face of the earth again.

Best of luck Paddy! 

For tonite & the entire season.

We're all hoping you have a great season, find your consistency, stay injury free & fulfil the potential we all see in you.

Cheers to 150!

Well done paddy 150 games. Plus Carlisle 50 and fletcher games record we should get up.

Well Done Paddy, has come a long way from his 1st season. Just need him to keep developing even further. 

More of his anzac medal performances please.....was in beast mode that day, nobody could touch him

More of his anzac medal performances please.....was in beast mode that day, nobody could touch him

Not even the great Josh Fraser.

love paddy. 

loved his year in the backline way back when as well. hope he absolutely destroys it this year. 

and for reasons of foresight...

laconic
adjective

1. 1.
    (of a person, speech, or style of writing) using very few words.

Go Paddy. This is your year.

If he finished his career tomorrow you would probably have to think of him as a player who never lived up to his giant potential.
Has all the tools to be a genuine great. Just needs to use them.

Great effort paddy! Best ruckmen in the league this year.

I think the consistency he built into his game last year has gone largely unnoticed.

Less flashy, more consistent.

He will rip it up while TBell is out.

Looked in ripping form in the pre-season. Hope he takes another step forward.

Well done Paddy. Another 150 to come.

Well done Paddy. Another 150 to come.

Afte last night, I hope you're right. I thought he was brilliant in the ruck.