Saturday April 15 Sandringham v Essendon Trevor Barker Oval, 2pm

That was the one I was thinking of

It seems to be a theme for our VFL team for the last few years. A lot of games that have one really good half and one absolute stinker (some losing a big lead, some great come from behind wins). For watchers, is it about who we have in the centre square, bigger influence of the wind in VFL games, or just rampant inconsistency? Or is it not a thing at all and Iā€™m a crazy person.

Thanks DJR & others. Pity we gave them such a big head start! Any likely contenders for AFL selection??

1 Like

Clearly not talent alone based on how we couldnā€™t get a clearance in the first half, then dominated the third quarter.

1 Like

Was Kobe best for us today? and why wasnā€™t lil Hepp playing?

Hepp jnr is injured and likely to miss a couple of months.

sounded frustrating, almost like the seniors last week, see anything in our setups that suggests why we struggled here? or just the player effort?

Gee, we have snared a good one in Kobe Mutch. Was watching him closely all day, he is a legit talent. Was really impressed with his intelligence and courage. A really good size, good overhead and VERY neat foot skills. Also has a reluctance to panic with the first option, looks for better options. Impessed. and for me, the take home point from this match.

22 Likes

Thought moving Franga into the middle made a big difference. He was a bit lost up forward with the ball not getting out there, but heā€™s such a bustling, energetic footballer that it made our set-up a lot more dynamic. Not sure if forward is his best spot - he needs to be in the action, and when heā€™s there things happen.

7 Likes

Agree. T-bell winning some hitouts was a big game-changer as well.

1 Like

He was a lot better in the second half. Took some nice marks too. Ineffectual in the first half.

How good is Frangaā€™s 40m bullet pass off the instep that never goes higher than 3m? Goddard-esque.

3 Likes

Morgan, geez. Feel for him, but why use a second round pick on someone who already had a history of hammies. Whatā€™s the longest period he hasnā€™t been injured for?

Went his whole U18 year uninjured. Admittedly he wasnā€™t actually playing footy that year, but still.

Edit: he did play local footy, apologies.

1 Like

Player watch

McNeice - Like him. Quicker than I expected, very clean and composed. Hit an absolute bullet from outside 50 in 3rd quarter to Smack. And also of note a nice right foot pass to hit Begley in last.

Smack - Just so competitive. If we ever play 3 talls with a fwd/ruck other than JD it has to be him. Took some absolutely ripping marks and kicked some great goals. All at times we really needed them.

Begley - Brings a lot to fwd line as but unfortunately missed every set shot that I saw, and we needed to make most of our chances. Also however hit a left foot wobbler from 50 in last Q.

Francis - When he finally can put a full game together look out. Was starved of opportunity in fwd line. So they moved him to half back I think and later in game in middle. He is an absolute star in making who has got white line fever for sure. Think once he gets into seniors with better foot skills and ball use of his team mates (based on first two rounds) he will have a massive impact.

Belly - Canā€™t say I was overly impressed. We canā€™t be bringing him in to play with Leuey in same side. Too slow and gives nothing once ball on deck. Took a couple of good marks but didnā€™t rate his game that much.

Mutch - Whilst a little fumbly in first half certainly stepped up in last. Huge pack (like 8 players) under a high ball in 3rd q and he came out with the defensive mark. Got some courage the kid.

Jerrett. Did some nice things. Knows how to get out the back well reading the play. Tackled well.

14 Likes

Agree. Would be fascinating to know which other clubs were keen on Alex, as my sense is EFC wanted to absolutely nail him ahead of other rivals. I donā€™t doubt that his attributes from footage are outstanding, he clearly has talent, but I am pessimistic about his future.

Its some consolation everyone picked after him have done nothing so far.

So they ran the whole put your best player in the middle coaching move hey!

1 Like

Draper? Aside from TBC not liking him in the ruck, obviously.

Not that I was watching him closely, but to my eye he took one or two nice marks and went mostly unnoticed.

2 Likes