Saturday April 15 Sandringham v Essendon Trevor Barker Oval, 2pm

This is pretty ordinary. Not his fault that you’re playing magoos, Tom.

8 Likes

In the first half they beat us for clearances and spread much faster, TBell struggled as did Heath Hocking, Clarke and even Bird.

Francis was played as a mid in the second half. He was one part of the reason we improved after half time.He did do some very good things, good decisions and lightning fast handballs, good passes, an intercept and cracking goal.

Nick O’Brien went into the centre as well at half time and also had a an impact. Not that he had played badly when on the wing, but boosted us in the centre.

Jacko a good chase down and tackle in the goal square . Is quite a fast runner, and got out the back a number of times to take opportunities.

Begley some courageous marks, a really tough body in the contest and a good goal.

Kobe Mutch. A good game, took a courageous contested mark in defence. Played wing and half back got plenty of the ball…

Morgan, Played quite well except for one bad kick across goal. Appears to have done his hammy? So, thats another interruption, when he was starting to look good over the last 2-3 games. He appears to have a chronic hamstring issue.

Nick Hind, a VFL player, was very good, agile, mobile, competitive. A good pickup. played half back and gave us a lot of run. Ran through the centre, got on the end of a handball chain and kicked a nice goal.

SMack, and Stewart. Very limited opportunities in the first half. Stewart competed well up the ground.but was not clunking like last week. SMack took a great contested mark just outside the goal square and converted with a banana.

Mc Niece. Solid game
Hartley. and Ferry struggled a bit in the first half under sustained pressure in the second quarter.

Bird. Probably about 20-25 disposals busy all round the ground.

TBell. a bit of a lacklustre game seems slow, he is a big unit, but I even saw him being rag dolled at one point.

Draper Good in the ruck with limited time on the ground, but hardly touched the ball at full forward.

8 Likes

Who’s going to mention that Myers might have made the difference?

RIP beachcomber

FWIW, when the two interchanged a minute later, Tom gave him a positive rev-off.

Sounds like T Bell was saying “He’s stuffed, give him a rest”, … rather than “He’s shitt, get him out of there” eh?

Draper is not a bad tap ruckman for a kid who has been playing for one year, what little I have seen is not “BAD” Its not like TBell was starring in the ruck. Far from it. The trouble is, Draper is not a fast runner. So hes a bit like Tommy in that respect

The League aims for consistency in umpiring, I glad to see they got it,
Just as ■■■■ as it was in 1952.

2 Likes

How was Clarke?

Disposals per Essendon VFL Twitter:

Disposals: Hocking 29, O’Brien 25, Bird 23, McNiece 23, Hind 22, Clarke 21

1 Like

I didn’t see any injury to Morgan…I thought he played well too.

I didn’t see Morgan’s injury either, despite being next to the bench. He was done before three quarter time.

Clarke continues to Van Unen me (except I liked Van Unen).

The dopey umpiring mostly didn’t have much direct effect on the scoreboard but when they occurred from a minute in to a minute to go it was annoying. Never seen our bench so persistently annoyed.

Same. He got involved off half back a lot and I was pleased with his game. Mutch is a ball magnet and will be a player. Clarke is getting better with each game he plays from the pre season to now. Will take a while but as the stats show he can find the ball.

Big ups for Nick Hind’s game. Not much of him but he was right into it all day, one of our few who could claim that.

The article put up on the EFC site yesterday is particular galling now:

“If we can have really good consistency across the four quarters, win or lose, I’ll be really happy.”

Ballarat footy factory.

Agree that Nick Hind was very good today. Re: Dylan Clarke: you can’t help but like his attack on the contest, he reminds me a lot of Damien Peverill- which is in no way a slight. Hopefully he can work on that kicking.

They left (a few minutes) before the end of the game. Boooooooo.

1 Like

At one point he took a mark in defence, I told the people around me he can’t kick. He then preceeded to reverse torpedo it to a Sandy player 30m away. They thought I was a genius. He just needs to work on it, he’ll be alright, much bigger than I thought.

Bring Francis in. He willed us in the last half. He aint going to give you 30 possessions, but he has the ability to turn a game. He needs to start accumulating AFL games under the belt. We have a good one here.

2 Likes