Science…

Given the unexpected nature of the system, its a pity they cant put NH into orbit rather than heading off into the kuiper belt.

Given the unexpected nature of the system, its a pity they cant put NH into orbit rather than heading off into the kuiper belt.

Was thinking the same earlier. Regardless of what it was like, why not set it in to an orbit there rather than just send it into infinity. Thought a couple of small on board retro’s might have just set it in, but it may not be as easy as I’m thinking it might be.

Although i guess some of the farther objects might be just as interesting. The voyagers werent equiped for targeted observation that far out, mariner even more primitive.

Was thinking the same earlier. Regardless of what it was like, why not set it in to an orbit there rather than just send it into infinity. Thought a couple of small on board retro’s might have just set it in, but it may not be as easy as I’m thinking it might be.

I watched a interview with the project head on this very topic, basically 2 things, number one, the tech did not exist yet to make the vehicle light enough but still carry enough propellant to get it to slow down so it could orbit, it was either, get it their fast, or carrying the weight of the slow down tech and fuel, would have had it reached Pluto in 2029 from a 2005 launch. So they went for quick.

Now there is early plans to send an orbiter and perhaps even a lander there, they just need the funding to get it up, now that it seems that the Pluto system has proved so interesting from a scientific perspective, the funding should come easier.

The sheer distances involved are what i find fascinating and bewildering. Was just reading that if the solar system is defined by the Suns gravitational influence - and if a theory that some comets are in orbits that stretch half way to Alpha Centauri is correct - then Voyager 1’s journey to the edge of the solar system can be summed up as follows: walking from one side of america to the other, you are only 5 meters into your trip.

And thats after 35 years at 4 km/second, lol. Its mind numbing. Forty thousand years from now, it’ll still be over a light year from the star it is heading towards. And that is considered “extremely local”. Lol.

The sheer distances involved are what i find fascinating and bewildering. Was just reading that if the solar system is defined by the Suns gravitational influence - and if a theory that some comets are in orbits that stretch half way to Alpha Centauri is correct - then Voyager 1's journey to the edge of the solar system can be summed up as follows: walking from one side of america to the other, you are only 5 meters into your trip.

And thats after 35 years at 4 km/second, lol. Its mind numbing. Forty thousand years from now, it’ll still be over a light year from the star it is heading towards. And that is considered “extremely local”. Lol.

I love the concept of spacetime and also how the speed of light is a constant.

Sleep, benfti. I got your hookup right here:

I have thought about this, imagine this scenario, scientist comes out and says “hey world, so we have mean measuring space time and we found a ripple, so vast that we moved back in time a few days, if you subscribe to the scientific method and all it encapsulates, then it’s Friday, so have a good weekend. If you don’t, enjoy the rest of your work week, we will line everyone back up in two days time, so your Saturday is actually Monday”

I think I saw a doco on this just a few weeks ago … is it the telescope inAntarctica?? They thought they found the ripples a year or two ago & announced … only to find it was something else … but I thought it was ripples from just after the Big bang they sought?

Are the rumors true? Whispers about a possible detection of actual ripples in space-time have been swirling for weeks, and on Thursday, the world may find out if one of Albert Einstein’s boldest predictions is true.

Einstein theorized that the collision of two massive objects like black holes would cause the fabric of space-time to warp.

SEE ALSO: New probe could help detect ripples from cosmic collisions, part of Einstein’s theory of relativity

Think of space-time as a sheet on a mattress. If two bowling balls swirled around one another on that sheet, it would cause the fabric to ripple. This is how space-time moves, in theory, when black holes merge.

Those ripples move outward from the source, perturbing the space-time around various objects, including Earth. Theoretically, a sensitive enough instrument could detect that very slight perturbation, signaling that these gravitational waves exist.

So far, no one has yet detected these waves. But that may be about to change.

Scientists working with the National Science Foundation and the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory experiment (LIGO) — designed to hunt for these elusive gravitational waves from Earth — have announced a press conference scheduled for Thursday in Washington D.C…

The announcement of the news conference doesn’t give away anything about the possible detection — in fact, the statement is pretty mundane — but it still has the scientific community buzzing.

The LIGO hunts for space-time’s ripples using two huge instruments located in Livingston, Louisiana and Hanford, Washington.

Each of the identical LIGO detectors is shaped like the letter “L” with a laser beam running down the length, splitting at the bend. The detectors, when used together, can measure minute changes in space-time by clocking the distance between the two arms of the observatory.

“Multiple interferometers are needed to confidently detect and locate the sources of gravitational waves (except continuous signals), since directional observations cannot be made with a single detector like LIGO, which is sensitive to large portions of the sky at once,” LIGO wrote on its website.

If a gravitational wave passes through and changes the length of the arms by a tiny fraction of the diameter of a single proton, it would be enough to characterize the wave, according to the observatory’s website.

LIGO was recently upgraded and completed a hunt for the ripples last month, so on Thursday, scientists and the public should get some sense of whether that new sensitivity was enough to find those hidden waves in space.

This explosion was 24 tonnes of TNT equivalent:
( you call that a knife)

Take note that the biggest thermonucear bomb detonated was 2.35 million times more powerful.

( now this is a KNIFE)

Can we mine it?

No, but we can mime it.

Can we mine it?

This is Orstraya, we don’t have science here.
What do the school chaplains have to say about it?

Rumours in the Physics community over the last few weeks are suggesting that ripples in spacetime - a theoretical prediction by Einstein - may have been detected by the Ligo project. Press conference called for thursday.

This guy

One of the biggest scientific finds of the last 100 years

Evolutionary dead end apparently.

That can't be said until they extract DNA only a square meter of the cave has been excavated

I think megz ran into this woman at the Collingwood game last Sunday.

sexytime