James Gwilt > Dylan Van Unen

Adam Cooney > Leroy Jetta

Jonathon Giles < Paddy Ryder

Shaun McKernan > Fraser Thurlow

Kyle Langford - Kyle Hardingham ?? likely >>

Jayden Laverde - Sean Gregory ?? likely >>

Jake Long - Johnny Rayner ?? likely >>

Conor McKenna - Corey Dell’Olio ??

we have clearly improved the list overall IMO. Are we fitter? we’ll we use the ball better? can we be more consistent (beat cellar dwellers, not give up leads)? can we run out the year? asada?

Wow. When looked at in that light… .

When you look at it in that light, you see bar one pair, the rest are simply improvements on players outside the best 22.
Sure Cooney and most like gwilt will step into the 22, but for things to improve in the seniors we need to be replacing and upgrading on players that affect that area.

When you look at the 22 that will most likely take the field, all things being equal.
A they haven’t been able to consistently beat cellar dwellers
B not give up leads
C run out a year
I’ll throw in
D not have runs of 4 plus goals in a row kicked against us

So I’m not sure how this all magically changes without change to the status quo.
You take out guys under 25 or under 4 years in the system from the coaches best 22 and you’re left with Daniher, Z merrett I think Heppell who have to improve and carry the team exponentially for the above to decease being a problem.

The rest of the 22 ( well bar the inclusions of cooney and gwilt and giles, they bring their own baggage) have 5 plus years of not being able to rectify the above.They also have the asada crap still hanging over their heads, which supposedly the best coach of the last decade in Thompson stated he wasn’t sure how they would handle it from week to week, let alone a season.

That’s not glass is half empty. People just fail to see the root cause of alot of our problems, and without fixing or removing them, I don’t see how people expect things to change, pretty much keeping the exact same players in the exact same spots where they’ve proved they aren’t up to it.
One game here and there, or a qtr does not make you “up to it” for a season.

So until you actually start adressing the flaws in the starting 22, improvements on reserves players means SFA really other than maybe an improved output at VFL level, which is still mostly dependant on injuries.

Quoted Post

we have clearly improved the list overall IMO. Are we fitter? we’ll we use the ball better? can we be more consistent (beat cellar dwellers, not give up leads)? can we run out the year? asada?

Fletch 15 < Fletch 14
Watson 15 < Watson 14
Hooker 15 = Hooker 14??
Cooneys Knees 15 < Cooneys knees 14

I mean there is so many variables. McKernan is better than Thurlow but doesnt matter as I hope McKernan sees no playing time at all. Gwilst is better than Van Unen but it isnt realistically his place he is fighting for.

Nup.

Fletch 15 = Fletch 14
Watson 15 > Watson 14
Hooker 15 > Hooker 14
Cooneys Knees 15 > Cooneys knees 14

Quoted Post

I would love to see Hooker give us the same output as last year. Not sure he will. I still have question marks over Hooker.

Really? I’d be surprised if his next three seasons weren’t all better than the previous one. He hasn’t even hit his peak yet imo.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Quoted Post

When you look at it in that light, you see bar one pair, the rest are simply improvements on players outside the best 22.
Sure Cooney and most like gwilt will step into the 22, but for things to improve in the seniors we need to be replacing and upgrading on players that affect that area.

When you look at the 22 that will most likely take the field, all things being equal.
B not give up leads
C run out a year
I’ll throw in

So I’m not sure how this all magically changes without change to the status quo.
You take out guys under 25 or under 4 years in the system from the coaches best 22 and you’re left with Daniher, Z merrett I think Heppell who have to improve and carry the team exponentially for the above to decease being a problem.

The rest of the 22 ( well bar the inclusions of cooney and gwilt and giles, they bring their own baggage) have 5 plus years of not being able to rectify the above.They also have the asada crap still hanging over their heads, which supposedly the best coach of the last decade in Thompson stated he wasn’t sure how they would handle it from week to week, let alone a season.

That’s not glass is half empty. People just fail to see the root cause of alot of our problems, and without fixing or removing them, I don’t see how people expect things to change, pretty much keeping the exact same players in the exact same spots where they’ve proved they aren’t up to it.

So until you actually start adressing the flaws in the starting 22, improvements on reserves players means SFA really other than maybe an improved output at VFL level, which is still mostly dependant on injuries.

All the issue you raise i identified as ???. I think our problems are largely mental, can they be fixed? time will tell. Out of interest, which players in which spots have , in your opinionl, proven that they aren’t up to it. here is a nominal best 22 to help you

bags hurls fletch
hibb hooker demps

Stanton watson zaha
Tbell hepp hocking

BJ Carlisle Cooney
Colyer JD Zmerret

chapman, licha ambrose

sub: howlett

Quoted Post

B not give up leads
C run out a year
I’ll throw in

I’ll give you a) out of that group.

When you say, “no give up leads”, what sort of leads are we talking about here? 2 goals? 3 goals? 6 goals? We gave up a couple (3 that I can think of) in 2014 but before that, how often have we given up a 5+ goal lead?

C is a myth.
2011 - won 3 of our last 4 matches leading into the elimination final
2012 - yes
2013 - Players were told in July they won’t be playing finals so what do you expect
2014 - Don’t think we fell away, we were just inconsistent all the way through

D - Actually, I don’t think this has happened alot to us in the past 3 or so years (apart from when we give up the leads). And a team kicking 4 goals in a row isn’t such a rare thing anymore. 6+ goals in a row is a real worry and we did do that alot from about 2009-2011.

A reply to: @Paul Peos regarding QuoteLink

Quoted Post
I would love to see Hooker give us the same output as last year. Not sure he will. I still have question marks over Hooker.

Really? I’d be surprised if his next three seasons weren’t all better than the previous one. He hasn’t even hit his peak yet imo.

I hope so. Would love to be wrong. He was enormous last year as was Hurley down back. I think Hurley will continue to improve as he is a class above Hooker. There is just something about Hooker that leaves me unconvinced. Have been wrong before. Was on the Hislop bandwagon for longer than I would like to admit, thought Houli was hard done by and I thought Nash was going to be a gun.

that is an excellent strike rate :stuck_out_tongue:

(fwiw i liked houli too and, like him or not, he has carved out a perfectly respectable career for himself despite the odd pant browning)

Quoted Post

We still lack a genuine small forward. A goal kicking annoying pain in the ar$e small forward.

I also still feel we lack that game breaking speedster through the middle. Zerrett gives a bit but he isnt it. We havent had that since Lovett.

Our list isnt ready yet

Apparently Edwards is doing well as a small forward. Wishful thinking, I know.

What about Colyer as the game breaking speedster? Still want to see what Dempsey can do in the middle too.

I would love to see Hooker give us the same output as last year. Not sure he will. I still have question marks over Hooker. I agree it all lines up well generally but there is a few variables that dont make it as vanilla as the original post. I expect Carlisle to rip it up this year. I think Stanton is a wild card this year and expect him to have his best year in a while.

I think Fletch showed signs last year age had finally started to catch up.

We still lack a genuine small forward. A goal kicking annoying pain in the ar$e small forward.

...sure, and that's a reasonable enough point.

It’s an assumption and generalisation, but I think fair, to expect anyone 28 & onwards to be going down, but anyone 23 & under (or mature agers in their first 2 seasons) to be on the way up.
Taking out those ins & outs already mentioned, we’ve got 6 of the oldies & 21 of the youngies (about 5 from each group are locks in the best 22, another 6 or 8 of the youngies could find themselves in the 22 pretty soon).
So I think it’s fair to say our list should, barring catastrophe, improve.

I also still feel we lack that game breaking speedster through the middle. Zerrett gives a bit but he isnt it. We havent had that since Lovett.
And if Colyer's not a game breaking speedster I don't know who is. He's found his slot now - still plenty of improvement left.
Quoted Post
Quoted Post

B not give up leads
C run out a year
I’ll throw in

It’d be so much quicker for you to just post ‘Stanton is ■■■■’ you know.

A reply to: @Henry’s Angry Pills regarding QuoteLink

I would love to see Hooker give us the same output as last year. Not sure he will. I still have question marks over Hooker. I agree it all lines up well generally but there is a few variables that dont make it as vanilla as the original post. I expect Carlisle to rip it up this year. I think Stanton is a wild card this year and expect him to have his best year in a while.

I think Fletch showed signs last year age had finally started to catch up.

Our list isnt ready yet

...sure, and that's a reasonable enough point.

It’s an assumption and generalisation, but I think fair, to expect anyone 28 & onwards to be going down, but anyone 23 & under (or mature agers in their first 2 seasons) to be on the way up.
Taking out those ins & outs already mentioned, we’ve got 6 of the oldies & 21 of the youngies (about 5 from each group are locks in the best 22, another 6 or 8 of the youngies could find themselves in the 22 pretty soon).
So I think it’s fair to say our list should, barring catastrophe, improve.

And if Colyer’s not a game breaking speedster I don’t know who is. He’s found his slot now - still plenty of improvement left.

I do forget Colyer

We look a lot better with him in. Not just the times he gets it, it gives the opposition a worry on the goalside, at all times, and with him in you can almost always be assured he’s worrying if not beating his man in the race to goal, generally meaning that man is not able to pay any attention to the contest.

Zerrett’s not lightning - and he’ll be a lot more than ‘just’ a gamebreaker IMHO, a lot better than Colyer. But he’s not there yet.

btw… you really suck at picking players! :wink:
Impossible to ignore Hooker’s influence for mine. I never really rated Lake either, he’s not quick, he’s definitely not agile, he used to get pantsed every time on Lloyd - but he does a very reasonable job, gets a lot of intercepts, gets a lot of the footy. Despite there almost always being footballers who look a lot better, who inspire a lot more confidence, I can’t argue with results. Are you a bit like that with Hooker?

Must be in bizzaro world. Can’t believe this talk on Cale.

Hooksey was AA… right? Or did I dream that?

Quoted Post

Must be in bizzaro world. Can't believe this talk on Cale.

Hooksey was AA… right? Or did I dream that?

nah, that can’t be right, he’s ■■■■ :slight_smile:

just on the pace issue, cooney still has his acceleration and that is really what it is all about near stoppages.

I reckon there is almost a direct correlation between Colyer’s successful return to the side, and our second half of the season form imprivement. He made a massive difference to our one-paced midfield.

His pace has always troubled opponents (He is dead-set lightning quick), but the fact he doesn’t shank every kick now has made him genuinely dangerous. He played a great final too.

If his rate of improvement continues as it did late last year, he could end up one of our most important midfielders.

Quoted Post

I reckon there is almost a direct correlation between Colyer's successful return to the side, and our second half of the season form imprivement. He made a massive difference to our one-paced midfield.

His pace has always troubled opponents (He is dead-set lightning quick), but the fact he doesn’t shank every kick now has made him genuinely dangerous. He played a great final too.

If his rate of improvement continues as it did late last year, he could end up one of our most important midfielders.

yep, and his ability to elevate with the sticky hands on hard leads really surprised me too. I think will see him getting hit up across the middle so he can turn and burn a lot more this year.

Quoted Post

A reply to: @Paul Peos regarding QuoteLink
Quoted Post

I hope so. Would love to be wrong. He was enormous last year as was Hurley down back. I think Hurley will continue to improve as he is a class above Hooker. There is just something about Hooker that leaves me unconvinced. Have been wrong before. Was on the Hislop bandwagon for longer than I would like to admit, thought Houli was hard done by and I thought Nash was going to be a gun.

Hooker will either be our next McPhee or the next Glass

LOL at thinking Hooker just had a fluke season, and is really a Scania.

But then you admit you’re a Nash fan, so it’s about right.