Season 2015 - Essendon

Wasn’t Colyer being talked up hugely going into 2012. Think Hird said he was now starting 22. Then he broke down for the whole season right before the opening round (I think).

Quoted Post

Wasn't Colyer being talked up hugely going into 2012. Think Hird said he was now starting 22. Then he broke down for the whole season right before the opening round (I think).

In his defence, he was looking seriously promising at that stage and had arguably earned a spot in the 22 for the start of the season due to his form at the back end of 2011 and his solid pre-season that year and then unluckily broke his thumb just prior to the season starting.

Everything hangs on if we get bans. If we do, and miss games against sydney and hawthorn, they will literally destroy a side of top ups and the percentage smashing would be horrible.

If we go into the season with no bans i would out my house on we will finish top four

We are being conditioned to the reality that we will cop bans. We’ll have top up players for probably the first third of the season and be chasing our tail all year. We battle to make the 8 and be a relevant AFL side when we have our full compliment. We haven’t won a final in more than decade. How damning is that. Lord knows how we will go if it goes down the track it looks like it is.

Quoted Post

LOL at thinking Hooker just had a fluke season, and is really a Scania.

But then you admit you’re a Nash fan, so it’s about right.

I think it is being blown out of proportion. I just think last season was one out of the box. Think he is a good player… not sure a great one. Insinuating I called him a ■■■■ truck is really f***ing ridiculous

I read wrong on Nash but been right on plenty of others.

Everyone can have one good day, even Nash (though it was in the VFL, and his “opposition” was Shane Harvey).

Hell, I took forum footy Mark of the Century™ once, and the ice has only just melted in my beard a decade later.

Hooker must be ■■■■■■ lucky having that many good days in a row.

I hate quitting “quote” instead of “edit”.

Quoted Post

We will finish third and lose an interstate preliminary final.

I would take that right straight away, and give you a wristy at the same time.

Make a prelim this year, and win the whole thing next year.

Just what the doctor ordered…last year we were there but our lack of mature bodies couldn’t go with the experienced teams. In comes Cooney adding pace and experience and Gwilt taking second/third forward freeing up hurley as another target up forward…Coach thinks it’s our window…I think it’s our window 3rd-5th.

Top 4 and anything is possible.

Year of redemption.

Colyer and Bags instrumental to the side.

Hooksy to take another step.

Daniher will kick 40+

Cooney for BandF

JD BUCKETS HURLS (sorry AmbrosE) FWD
GWILT STARTING 22

WANT

Quoted Post

Jonathon Giles + Belchambers > Paddy Ryder

Quoted Post

I reckon there is almost a direct correlation between Colyer's successful return to the side, and our second half of the season form imprivement. He made a massive difference to our one-paced midfield.

His pace has always troubled opponents (He is dead-set lightning quick), but the fact he doesn’t shank every kick now has made him genuinely dangerous. He played a great final too.

If his rate of improvement continues as it did late last year, he could end up one of our most important midfielders.

Funny what happened when they gave a fringe player more than a week as a sub to gain some confidence at senior level.
and to think we had no one at vfl level capable of filling any sort of role, go figure where he came from.

Edit hmmm i doubt most will get the sarcasm :frowning:

Colyer to the rescue I think not, very handy and important player but I think we can get and must get more out of Zaka through leadership, and improvement on his defensive positioning/game.

He is a massive barometer for our side and our teams performance this season. I know what Zaka the big stage kick a great goal can do now I want to see the leader and all round complete 4 qtr player showing his defensively two running improvement aswell.

Come on Zaka it’s your time!

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
A reply to: @Paul Peos regarding QuoteLink
Quoted Post
I would love to see Hooker give us the same output as last year. Not sure he will. I still have question marks over Hooker.

Really? I’d be surprised if his next three seasons weren’t all better than the previous one. He hasn’t even hit his peak yet imo.

I hope so. Would love to be wrong. He was enormous last year as was Hurley down back. I think Hurley will continue to improve as he is a class above Hooker. There is just something about Hooker that leaves me unconvinced. Have been wrong before. Was on the Hislop bandwagon for longer than I would like to admit, thought Houli was hard done by and I thought Nash was going to be a gun.

Hooker will either be our next McPhee or the next Glass

Glass? Surely taking the mick. Hooker actually touches the ball, and passes it to teammates.
D Glass purely a stopper. Hooker’s gone past him, easily. Glass highly over-rated IMHO.

Quoted Post

just on the pace issue, cooney still has his acceleration and that is really what it is all about near stoppages.
I asked Dempsey and Howlett about Cooney. Dempsey said he still had the speed, and he was in awe of the guys agility, and Howlett just said he's silk. Apparently the fittest he has been for many years as well. They are very much looking forward to playing with him.

Quoted Post

JD BUCKETS HURLS (sorry AmbrosE) FWD GWILT STARTING 22

WANT

All our big guys are training to play either back or forward this year. Looks like we will have a prefered option, but with the ability to swing anyone from end to end dependent on needs. Shades of Sheeds.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
just on the pace issue, cooney still has his acceleration and that is really what it is all about near stoppages.
I asked Dempsey and Howlett about Cooney. Dempsey said he still had the speed, and he was in awe of the guys agility, and Howlett just said he's silk. Apparently the fittest he has been for many years as well. They are very much looking forward to playing with him.
Cooney's the anti Stants in some ways. Stants when he's up and going moves pretty well. But if someone comes at him that he's not expecting he doesn't have the extra gear, he's not particularly good at ducking & weaving his way out of trouble. Hence the run-downs.

Cooney isn’t actually super lightning fast at top speed, but his first few steps, and his lateral movement are very very good - what makes him the player he is. Those few years he was at the absolute peak of his powers he was comparable (not as good as, but one of the very few in the same postcode) as GAJr around the packs. He’s not at that level now but he is still a very good footballer. And I think his talents lend themselves pretty well to a slot as a permanent forward as he tails off, too. If we get 2-3 midfield/half forward years out of him, and another 1-2 as a full-time forward he’ll be a brilliant buy for pick 30 odd.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post

WANT

All our big guys are training to play either back or forward this year. Looks like we will have a prefered option, but with the ability to swing anyone from end to end dependent on needs. Shades of Sheeds.
Was listening to Stanton's MMM interview last night and Wayne Carey asked him if it were true that Hooker will be spending more time fwd and 'swinging' back (I.e. Hurley, Carlisle) and Brent actually confirmed it. So expect another swingman!

Quoted Post

Quoted Post

WANT

You gonna be ok if Hurley goes forward?