Season 2015 - Port Adelaide

Why bother? It’s not like he’ll have pazza’s firefighting ability anyway.

Actually, he’s probably taking the opportunity now because he may not get a second chance. If the SA Fire Service is anything like the MFB (whom I work for), it’s damn hard to get in and there’s no deferring your acceptance, say until the end of the footy season. If you get offered a place and don’t take it, you go back to the pack and you have to go through the whole application process again with no guarantee you’ll get in a second time.

Have they got helmets big enough to fit on his head?

billy they might have but eberts head thats a different story.

Is he avoiding charges for beating up someone whilst drunk. Surely that is when AFL players become a firey

I’d assumed everyone was on board with this subtext, but it appears not.
‘I want to be a fireman’ is code for you can’t convict me.

Heath Scotland gave him a glowing reference.
Is he avoiding charges for beating up someone whilst drunk. Surely that is when AFL players become a firey

I’d assumed everyone was on board with this subtext, but it appears not.
‘I want to be a fireman’ is code for you can’t convict me.

And how does he escape conviction? By changing jobs?

To be honest I think Port have some ordinary to very ordinary players in their 22 and I think the likes of us and North will catch up to them this year.

Carlile, Cornes, White, Trengrove, Pittard and Broadbent scream: “We are Richmond just super fit.”

I don’t think their midfield comes close to Hawthorn or Sydney. Hell we would give them a good shake.

Watson, Goddard, Heppell, Zaharakis, Cooney, Myers, Stanton, Zach Merrett.

Against

Boak, Gray, Wines, Ebert, Hartlett, Polec, Cornes, Wingard (Wingard played limited minutes in the middle last year and was played mostly forward from what I saw).

There is a reason why we went over there last year in the second half of the season and beat them, because we are as good as them.

I predict they will stagnate or go backwards this season, 5th-7th.

Quoted Post
you realise they led Richmond by 81 points at 3/4 time in the elimination final last year don't you.

I think you are severely underrating this side BK. Those you highlight as being Richmond by fit, even if you accept them as the bottom end of their first 22 , are a hell of a lot better than other bottom 6s.

watch them take full advantage of ryder’s centre square brilliance this year. He also allows them to be more flexible with westhoff and gives them a bit of depth defensively if they get desperate too.

the only thing that stops these guys playing in another prelim is injuries and if it is a home prelim it will take a damn good team to beat them.

they are a mile a head of norf and would have destroyed them almost as comprehensively as Sydney did.

I think they have holes in their 22 which will see them never really challenge Sydney or Hawthorn on the big stage.

I think they will go backwards.

Port supporters and the football public in general carrying on that Ryder is going to be the be all and end all, are mistaken. Too be honest I don’t see a position in their 22 that needed less tending too than their rucks.

I highly doubt Ryder will ever reach the heights that he did in 2014 and adding him will only take away from their game style of run non stop for every minute of every game and take the game on.

Quoted Post
Ryder has struggled in the ruck contests,especially centre bounces which are his strength - he's been Ok around the ground.

He has been useless around the ground

Ryder still averaging the same amount of possessions around the ground - It’s the quality of his ruck work that has been disappointing.

I don’t see Port getting to a GF with players like White, Broadbent, Carlile, Pittard, Cornes, Mitchell and Jonas getting games for them. I think they were one season wonders personally. I know most would probably disagree but here’s hoping.

Almost half way through the season and I think I have been at least semi-accurate with these statements in the off-season and after a couple of games into 2015.

Hopefully I’m not counting my chickens before they hatch here but apart from a great first half against the Hawks where they were just able to hold on at home, Port Adelaide have been close to the most unimpressive team in the comp IMO.

Here’s hoping it continues.

Fark Port.

To be honest I think Port have some ordinary to very ordinary players in their 22 and I think the likes of us and North will catch up to them this year.

Carlile, Cornes, White, Trengrove, Pittard and Broadbent scream: “We are Richmond just super fit.”

I don’t think their midfield comes close to Hawthorn or Sydney. Hell we would give them a good shake.

Against

Boak, Gray, Wines, Ebert, Hartlett, Polec, Cornes, Wingard (Wingard played limited minutes in the middle last year and was played mostly forward from what I saw).

There is a reason why we went over there last year in the second half of the season and beat them, because we are as good as them.

Quoted Post
you realise they led Richmond by 81 points at 3/4 time in the elimination final last year don't you.

I think you are severely underrating this side BK. Those you highlight as being Richmond by fit, even if you accept them as the bottom end of their first 22 , are a hell of a lot better than other bottom 6s.

watch them take full advantage of ryder’s centre square brilliance this year. He also allows them to be more flexible with westhoff and gives them a bit of depth defensively if they get desperate too.

the only thing that stops these guys playing in another prelim is injuries and if it is a home prelim it will take a damn good team to beat them.

they are a mile a head of norf and would have destroyed them almost as comprehensively as Sydney did.

I think they have holes in their 22 which will see them never really challenge Sydney or Hawthorn on the big stage.

Port supporters and the football public in general carrying on that Ryder is going to be the be all and end all, are mistaken. Too be honest I don’t see a position in their 22 that needed less tending too than their rucks.

I highly doubt Ryder will ever reach the heights that he did in 2014 and adding him will only take away from their game style of run non stop for every minute of every game and take the game on.

Quoted Post
Ryder has struggled in the ruck contests,especially centre bounces which are his strength - he's been Ok around the ground.

Ryder still averaging the same amount of possessions around the ground - It’s the quality of his ruck work that has been disappointing.

I don’t see Port getting to a GF with players like White, Broadbent, Carlile, Pittard, Cornes, Mitchell and Jonas getting games for them. I think they were one season wonders personally. I know most would probably disagree but here’s hoping.

Almost half way through the season and I think I have been at least semi-accurate with these statements in the off-season and after a couple of games into 2015.

Hopefully I’m not counting my chickens before they hatch here but apart from a great first half against the Hawks where they were just able to hold on at home, Port Adelaide have been close to the most unimpressive team in the comp IMO.

Fark Port.

Black kavanagh owes you a teacake for selflessly bringing his genius to the masses.

Against

Quoted Post

Quoted Post

Fark Port.

Black kavanagh owes you a teacake for selflessly bringing his genius to the masses.

LOL.

Judas out for this game

Judas out for this game

Did he get hung out to dry?

Monfries playing his 200th. Good effort

Judas out for this game

“Sore achilles”…complained about it during the Richmond game.

Right about now he will be missing being back home at Essendon one would think.

Judas out for this game

“Sore achilles”…complained about it during the Richmond game.

Right about now he will be missing being back home at Essendon one would think.

Must be one of those long term health effects he was so worried about.

maybe it,s laconicitis he is out with.he suffered with it a lot when he played for us .

silver poisoning

He’s suffering from a severe case of withdrawl.

Needs to get back on the gear.

Oh, the irony of “landing” Ryder.

Port win games better without him than with him.

I guess he can play FF next year given he has cost them the salary cap space that is presenting Port offering a Schultz a contract with.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/patrick-ryders-arrival-at-port-adelaide-has-destabilised-power-team-balance/story-fnp04d70-1227393503566

WITH Paddy Ryder contracted and ready to become its new “go to” forward and relief ruckman, it seemed Port Adelaide could only get better this season.

But, in reality, the inclusion of Ryder has destabilised the Power.

Of course, adding Ryder to any list is going to improve that list, but the balance of size and shape and physical capabilities in Port’s forward half is delicate.

Matthew Lobbe is one of those ruckman who just loves game time. He is a worker. He gets a fix on the opposition ruckman and grinds away at him. It appears counterproductive to give Lobbe a breather on the bench. It seems to break his focus and his run at the ball and, because of his skills set, spelling him up forward has never been an option.

Before Ryder’s arrival, Justin Westhoff was the relief ruckman for Lobbe when he did go to the bench, but only for a very short time. The composition of the forward half was Jay Schulz and the hard-running Westhoff, plus four other hard-running, smaller forwards. With Westoff rucking, it was Schulz and five smaller, mobile forwards.

They created havoc and were capable of holding the ball in attack until the full compliment of Power players could push up from behind and employ the best forward press in the league.

Because Lobbe is the No. 1 ruckman, this season 196cm Ryder has played inside forward 50 alongside the 199cm Westhoff and 193cm Schulz most of the time.

That setup is dramatically different to the one that almost took Port to the Grand Final last year.

Ryder, who has an Achilles injury, won’t play this weekend, but Port’s balance is out of alignment when he does.

He is a gun player, so Port is better off for having him, but it must learn how to make it work properly, because you can bet Ryder believes his best position is in the first ruck and not as a forward/relief ruckman. And Lobbe is hardly about to stand aside.

It has been noticeable that since Ryder’s injury, the Power forward line has not been too top heavy to hold the ball in. Paul Stewart has come back in recent weeks and has not set the world on fire, but he tackles hard and his ability to pressure the opposition is very good. It is reasonable to suggest that the Power has reverted to a two and sometimes single-pronged attack, with smaller, agile players restricting the opposition from getting the ball out.

When Port was playing poorly the ball was in its defensive 50 about 60 per cent of the time and, when it did come forward, the make-up of the attack could not hold it in.

The “Power press” wins games. When the forward setup works, it is almost impossible to get the ball out and up to the other end.

The re-inclusion of Ollie Wines after an injury has been an enormous help in the midfield, Travis Boak has given everything he can and Robbie Gray has been phenomenal, but midfield duties have taken Gray away from the forward line, where he is unbelievably dangerous.

With Wines back, maybe Gray now can get a better balance between his on-ball work and lurking inside 50.

The Power seems to be getting back on track with its forward press and team make-up. It will be an interesting decision at the selection table the first week Ryder declares himself available again.

........ Ryder believes his best position is in the first ruck and not as a forward/relief ruckman. And Lobbe is hardly about to stand aside.

We should make a huge play for Lobbe. He would be perfect for us, and it would be karma for those pr*cks.

Or, according to that article, send Carisle to them for next to nothing, and destabilise their forward line even more!!!