Season 2015 - Western Bulldogs

Really? So why, given they’ve lost basically 3 other senior players as well, are they we having to pay Griffen $800k of his $900k contract to play elsewhere…??

Is it Shane Biggs or Joel Hamling on the 7 figures ?

A reply to: @Henry’s Angry Pills regarding QuoteLink

A reply to: @SplitRound regarding QuoteLink
They may have front loaded Boyd's contract, but it won't be next year. Next year he's still on the second year of the mandated draftee contract, clubs aren't allowed to change that with contract extensions, etc.
It's a mandated minimum, not a max. They can pay him however many trillions they want.

Not true. From the AFL CBA

An AFL Club shall pay each Player it employs in 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016, other than a first year draft choice Player, a second year Player, a Rookie Player or a Player promoted from the Rookie List a minimum base payment per annum and a minimum Senior Match payment per Senior Match set out in the table below:
A first year draft choice Player shall not be entitled to, nor shall an AFL Club, pay a first year Player more than the amounts prescribed by this item 2, other than: (i) reasonable relocation expenses and living allowances as set out in item 13 of this Schedule C; (ii) bereavement assistance of up to $2,000 per Player; and (iii) any incentive bonus a Player receives for finishing in the top ten of the AFL Club’s best and fairest award.

A Second Year Player shall not be entitled to, nor shall an AFL Club pay a Second Year Player more than the amounts prescribed by this item 3, other than:
(i) reasonable relocation expenses as set out in item 13 of this Schedule C;
(ii) bereavement assistance of up to $2,000 per Player; and
(iii) any incentive bonus a Player receives for finishing in the top ten of the AFL Club’s best and fairest award.

Wow.

Thanks for that correction but, jeezus ■■■■■■■ christ the Dogs are stuffed.

Yup

Apparently they are going with a kicking game and not so much handball.

Kicking their big piles of cash around, most likely.
Too heavy to pick up.

Quoted Post

A reply to: @yaco55 regarding QuoteLink
Quoted Post
A reply to: @yaco55 regarding QuoteLink
Bulldogs were disappointing in 2014, but I expect them to do better in 2015. Think they can be decent in 2015/2016 and win around 10 games but then will hit the wall. I expect they will lose 2 or 3 GOOD players in the next 2 years to pay for Boyd. This could go down as one of the worst decisions in history.

Curious who you think is taking the big money at the dogs. They will have salary cap to spare.

Well from 2015 you have an unproven player taking 1m from the cap. Clubs will go hard at their talented younf midfielders.

that assumes that the club hasn't structured it in such a way to manage it going forward. I don't see Sydney struggling to keep their young players despite Tippett and Franklin taking a massive cut. Let's not also forget they lost Griffen, Cooney, Gia and Higgins. I know they are paying some of the Griffen wage but that also frees up a load of cash.

I world be surprised if they hadnt front loaded his contract.

In short I have given your comment too much attention. It is rubbish.

So its rubbish that other clubs will target the young guns from the midfielders, especially when Boyd is eating up so much of the salary cap. And if Boyd doesn’t live to up to expectations the clubs will go harder. Front loading Boyd’s contract is irrelevant if clubs offer other Bulldogs players more than the Bulldogs can afford.

I am saying it is rubbish to assume they haven’t planned for that. They can spare a million bucks probably more than any other club

Wow.

If Boyd becomes one of the best power forwards in the league, and there is good reason to believe he will, they are far from stuffed. Boyd has the best junior record of any key forward to come through the system in the last 10 years, and has the physical tools to translate that to AFL level. No doubt you will say he has done nothing so far. Do you also expect that Joe Daniher will continue to be good for only one goal a game?

Outside of the expansion clubs, they have the best group of young mids in the comp. If Boyd becomes the player they hope he can be, they will be set up for a serious tilt in three years time. It’s worth the gamble. There is no reason to plan for being a middling team, which is what they would likely become if they didn’t find a quality power forward. Refer to their last 20 years for evidence.

A reply to: @Windy Dill regarding QuoteLink

A reply to: @Henry's Angry Pills regarding QuoteLink
Wow.

If Boyd becomes one of the best power forwards in the league, and there is good reason to believe he will, they are far from stuffed. Boyd has the best junior record of any key forward to come through the system in the last 10 years, and has the physical tools to translate that to AFL level. No doubt you will say he has done nothing so far. Do you also expect that Joe Daniher will continue to be good for only one goal a game?

Outside of the expansion clubs, they have the best group of young mids in the comp. If Boyd becomes the player they hope he can be, they will be set up for a serious tilt in three years time. It’s worth the gamble. There is no reason to plan for being a middling team, which is what they would likely become if they didn’t find a quality power forward. Refer to their last 20 years for evidence.

That’s … pushing it re Boyd, to put it mildly.

Boyd is a big impressive kid with some excellent AFL-level tools and was a solid #1 pick after a really impressive u18 year, but let’s not go overboard. Really hard to split him and Patton on their junior careers for example. Patton seemed more agile with the ball on the ground and a bit quicker, while Boyd is a better contested mark and a deadly kick on goal. And that’s not getting into guys like Daniher, Cameron who also were high picks (or equivalent), or even guys like Membrey or Serhat Temel who were extraordinarily dominant in their junior careers in the forward line but who respectively were drafted late and have played little AFL, or who were overlooked completely. Even if Boyd WAS head and shoulders above other u18 forwards of the decade (which he wasn’t), there’s a long way to go between the u18s and the AFL.

Boyd is a very impressive and promising kid, but there’s a lot of very impressive and promising kids in the competition. He has some really good tricks, but he’s going to need to learn to play against blokes his own size rather than monstering kids, and he’s going to need to add some strings to his boy beyond lead-mark-kick or his inflexibility will damage his team. This is not a criticism, every young player has stuff they need to work on. Boyd, at this stage of his career, is not different. One more talented young kid among an army of them.

Of course Boyd is far from a finished product, and has a long way to go. There are no certainties when it comes to junior prospects and AFL output, let alone key forwards. No is suggesting otherwise.

On TAC and Championship stats, Boyd compares favorably to any other key forward to come through those programs in the last decade. That’s not to say he will be better, or has shown more promise than others. Nor is it my opinion, because I don’t watch junior footy like yourself. But his numbers suggest that no other key forward has been as dominant at that level.

The mere fact you can only talk up his junior record shows why he shouldn’t be paid $6M.

He’s getting paid probably more than Goddard and Daniher combined.
Laughable that anyone is trying to pretend it’s not ■■■■■■.

Quoted Post

Of course Boyd is far from a finished product, and has a long way to go. There are no certainties when it comes to junior prospects and AFL output, let alone key forwards. No is suggesting otherwise.

On TAC and Championship stats, Boyd compares favorably to any other key forward to come through those programs in the last decade. That’s not to say he will be better, or has shown more promise than others. Nor is it my opinion, because I don’t watch junior footy like yourself. But his numbers suggest that no other key forward has been as dominant at that level.

Quoted Post

At the end of the day the Bulldogs are paying Boyd a million dollars in his third/fourth/fitth/sixth/seventh - The most ridiculous decision I’ve seen in my history following footy.

The mere fact you can only talk up his junior record shows why he shouldn't be paid $6M.

If Boyd turns into one of the dominant power forwards in the comp, it will be well worthwhile. If they win a Premiership, and Boyd plays a major role, it will be a masterstroke. If Boyd turns out to be a dud, it will be go down as a massive mistake.

I would say it’s a brave and worthwhile move - much better than paying someone like Scully $1M a year. Of course he is getting overpaid, but the Bulldogs may not get another opportunity to grab a key forward of that quality for this playing group. The last quality key forward they manage to bring in was 25 years ago.

He’d have to be Buddy-level good for that cash to be worth it. Not just ‘one of the best,’ but the absolute best forward in the game. He’d need to be the guy on all the AFL advertising posters. He’d need to be Bruce’s favorite player.

And if he ends up that good, they probably could win a flag.

But that’s one really, really big if.

A reply to: @Windy Dill regarding QuoteLink

A reply to: @Henry's Angry Pills regarding QuoteLink
The mere fact you can only talk up his junior record shows why he shouldn't be paid $6M.

If Boyd turns into one of the dominant power forwards in the comp, it will be well worthwhile.

If

If

If

Scully is at least a solid, consistent footballer. He’s getting paid overs - at least partially because he was such a ridiculously highly rated junior, which makes him an interesting example to bring up -but at least he demands a spot. And has since day 1, and put in some pretty decent performances from day 1.
Boyd just has the junior career.

If Rhys Stanley evolves into the best player since Carey, Geelong have made a really good move

If Jack Watts wins 5 straight brownlows, it’ll have been a great cal.

Garlick abandoning the ship already

The dogs are an interesting one, without being on the inner sanctum it’s so hard to know which way they will go.

We’re they poorly managed/coached and the senior players were discontent based on the coaching groups failure to develope the side to return a winning club in their tenure.

Or

We’re the senior players being precious and could take the criticism of their application that probably cost them a flag shot in the ease era and made then cry like babies in the summer of 2014.

Hard to tell.

Heard Mooneys assessment of the dogs on SEN, best list in the Como under 23 according to him. My personal opinion is that GWS and the Suns might make him a fool on that one.

I think the dogs have lucked out big time with MaCrae, Libba, Bontempelli and Stringer, all are going to be absolute stars. But as is all to familiar with the dogs, too much of the workload is left to to few. Others around have shown promise, but nothing like what would would constitute a 30+ list of quality depth required to be at the pointy end in September. Added to that is the senior players are now all in the very old category, almost none will be there for the next charge so in a year or two the current crop of youngsters need to man up big time, beyond those listed above few have shown the leadership to take charge. The loss of senior player will hurt, even though they had minimal impact in 2014.

Next brings me to the timeless problem of the dogs, KPP. They are forever hinging their future success to a small number of quality talls. Think Chris grant, the endless problem of which end to play him as he was needed at both. Barry Hall leading from the front with an undersized Hahn in support, Morris at the other end.

Boyd fits this mould perfectly, the entire Bulldogs future is now firmly on his shoulders, money, picks, the faithfuls belief in the future. IMHO an idiotic decision out of spite, as unless he is the Coleman second coming he is doomed to fail no matter how good he is. If he doesn’t kick 35 plus in his second year at the dogs he will be ridiculed hard.

For me 2015 will be a big tell of the dogs future, can they fight there way out of their worst off season in recent history or will the scrounge the bottom for years to come.