Season 2017 - Gold Coast

This article states that the sticking point wasn’t about front-loading, but rather the balance between marketing & football related payments: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/gary-ablett-signs-new-deal-with-gold-coast-suns-20150419-1mo6pt.html

But i’m sure your sources know better.

Needs more use of the word ‘literally’.

Who knows what the truth is but I do trust this person and being a player manager he would probably hear lots of goings on between other managers and agencies. Can never be sure though as one thing the industry does very well is put plenty of leaks out to the media and a fair percentage are blatant lies

This probably goes without saying, but I’m backing blitz over Wilson.

Force him into retirement.

3 Likes

In a similar vein, I’d back anyone to be in the right over the Gold Coast Suns executive.

2 Likes

I don’t know for sure, but if there’s a front loaded or back loaded contract & you break it,… I imagine there’s a clause that says you pay back the difference of the averaged out per year sum, or if they break it, you receive it.

There would have to be, I don’t see how it could work any other way.

Or, I always figured they might actually get paid the averaged out per year sum each year, and the loading amounts for salary cap purposes only.

I always assumed that front-loading and back-ended were just for paper. Thought the player still got paid the same each week/month of his contract but how it was applied in the salary cap was based on front/back ended.

Then Geelong can get him Mal Michael style. Or is that banned now?

Sorry rosco, … just edited the post & added in the same thought.

Pretty sure that’s not the case.

Fair enough. Makes you wonder why a player would agree to a back ended contract in that case

A player might agree to that if the club in question had very little cap space in the first year or two of that player’s contract, but space opened up in the back end of the contract. Something along the lines of: “we think you’re worth $500k p.a., we can only afford to pay you $400k p.a. for first two years because cap space is tight, then you’ll get $600k p.a. in the last two years”.

If memory serves, Franklin’s Swans deal is heavily back-ended.

1 Like

Thought BJ’s deal was backended also?

Nope, the player gets the money as the contract stipulates. Ablett has the majority of money owing to him already hence why the Suns want to be compensated by the Cats.
I think Fark Ryder was also front loaded and left us after claiming the majority of his pay

1 Like

Yep, and it’s another stupid ambit claim from the Suns which will never fly - what they chose to pay Ablett in 16/17 should have nothing to do with what happens in 2018, as it’s a sunk cost which they alone are responsible for. GCS position is a little like me buying a $200 pair of Nikes, wearing them for a year, and then demanding you pay me $200 for the shoes second hand because i paid that last year.

I can understand GCS demanding that Geelong pay the full freight on Ablett’s 2018 salary so that GCS aren’t on the hook for a cent (that would be totally reasonable), but to suggest they should be compensated for sunk costs resulting from their choice to front-load his deal is typical GCS stupidity.

So what? Geez you really hate Ablett, any chance to have a go at him. Do you honestly think he has dudded this club? Who freakin’ cares if he gets to Geelong or doesn’t?

I care because I want to see Geelong get screwed. Ablett and Geelong have been planning this for a while. He just won their B&F from 14 games and will still probably finish top 10-15 in the Brownlow yet the media are are wanting Geelong to give up a pick in the 70’s or 80’s for him and trotting out the romanticism in him returning “Home”. His value is still worth a decent pick or player as he still is one of the best players in the comp

1 Like

He is crap and should retire. Even if the Cats get him he won’t do much.

who is this thread talking about now? Can’t be Ablett